What new components to go with my new power supply..?

Edit My Images
Yes
I now have my new power supply but my pc is still playing up - windows often won't start first time, so I have to turn off the power supply then try again - so far it boots up properly second time, but it has shut down with the BSOD a couple of times.

I have no idea what might be wrong, but figure that a new pc might be needed.
I'll be keeping my BitFenix micro ATX size case.
I've no idea what my motherboard is aside from being an Asus, chip is an i5 3570, 3.4ghz with 8gb ram.
I've never felt it to be slow or lacking so clearly don't need anything high end, nor can I afford that.

What should I be looking at to replace it.
No gaming, but I am listening to more music, so would a decent sound card be worth investing in ?

I have no idea about budget as I don't know what things cost, but any pointers or suggestions would be gratefully received.
As I am still happy with W7 is there any way to reinstall it in a new build, or will I have to upgrade to W10 ?

Thanks as always for any help !

What are the bsod messages?

If they disappear too quickly turn off auto reboot in the recovery options.

Could be anything from a dodgy driver component to failed hardware to corrupt system file.

Last edited:
What are the bsod messages?

If they disappear too quickly turn off auto reboot in the recovery options.

Could be anything from a dodgy driver component to failed hardware to corrupt system file.

Thanks for the reply Neil.
I don't know what they are, as it's happened while I've been away, and my wife is even worse with computers than me. Given that my pc is several years old I'd rather start afresh as it'll avoid those late night phone calls from my wife that I can't help sort out.
I'm erring towards replacement to save on hassle, and as I have no idea how to sort out drivers or corrupt system files I'd have to pay someone to do it for me.

I can push plugs into sockets so can build a new pc, so given its age am inclined to do that..

First thing before we can help you out - what will your budget be?

Second thing to note - if you go for a 7th or 8th generation intel CPU you will are technically forced into windows 10 as 7 isnt supported for updates by default (though there is an unofficial patch that will allow Windows 7 to update itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing before we can help you out - what will your budget be?

Second thing to note - if you go for a 7th or 8th generation intel CPU you will are technically forced into windows 10 as 7 isnt supported for updates by default (though there is an unofficial patch that will allow Windows 7 to update itself.

I don't really know what the budget is. I don't need anything super fast, don't do anything that is demanding, but also would like there to be some sort of thrill when it gets powered up - you know, that 'Wow, this is better, well worth the money' moment.
If I have to go to W10 then so be it - W7 is familiar, W10 always seems to be a struggle, but that's familiarity I guess. Just where is the control panel in W10 ???

I now have my new power supply but my pc is still playing up - windows often won't start first time, so I have to turn off the power supply then try again - so far it boots up properly second time, but it has shut down with the BSOD a couple of times.

I have no idea what might be wrong, but figure that a new pc might be needed.
I'll be keeping my BitFenix micro ATX size case.
I've no idea what my motherboard is aside from being an Asus, chip is an i5 3570, 3.4ghz with 8gb ram.
I've never felt it to be slow or lacking so clearly don't need anything high end, nor can I afford that.

What should I be looking at to replace it.
No gaming, but I am listening to more music, so would a decent sound card be worth investing in ?

I have no idea about budget as I don't know what things cost, but any pointers or suggestions would be gratefully received.
As I am still happy with W7 is there any way to reinstall it in a new build, or will I have to upgrade to W10 ?

Thanks as always for any help !
Check your BIOS is it uptodate? has a setting changed? it might be looking at the wrong place to boot from.

Check your BIOS is it uptodate? has a setting changed? it might be looking at the wrong place to boot from.
I have no idea if the BIOS is up to date - I have no idea how to do it, so guess it may not be..
How do I check or update it ?
Certainly nothing has been changed by us users.
Given that it seems, so far, to boot at second attempt I guess it isn't looking at the wrong place, and it is all working now, as I'm sat in front of it typing..!

A very quick google seems to imply that updating it can be risky, and I'm a yellow-bellied coward right now..!

Last edited:
I don't really know what the budget is. I don't need anything super fast, don't do anything that is demanding, but also would like there to be some sort of thrill when it gets powered up - you know, that 'Wow, this is better, well worth the money' moment.
If I have to go to W10 then so be it - W7 is familiar, W10 always seems to be a struggle, but that's familiarity I guess. Just where is the control panel in W10 ???
Simple - on windows 10 desktop click in Cortana search box "control panel" and bobs your uncle up it pops.

Well you have a power supply and a case so thats a good start.
I spent £600 to build a custom PC.
For that money i got -
Case
PSU
Gigabyte Z170X motherboard
6th generation Intel i3 3.7ghz CPU
16gb DDR4 RAM
Nvidia GTX670 GPU
Braided cables
128gb SSD
Corsair fans
AIO CPU water cooler

Let there be light by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

I reckon as your not fussed for bells and whistles you should be able to get a decent spec PC for between £300 to £400 and have something that is noticeably better than what you currently have.

Simple - on windows 10 desktop click in Cortana search box "control panel" and bobs your uncle up it pops.

Well you have a power supply and a case so thats a good start.
I spent £600 to build a custom PC.
For that money i got -
Case
PSU
Gigabyte Z170X motherboard
6th generation Intel i3 3.7ghz CPU
16gb DDR4 RAM
Nvidia GTX670 GPU
Braided cables
128gb SSD
Corsair fans
AIO CPU water cooler

Let there be light by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

I reckon as your not fussed for bells and whistles you should be able to get a decent spec PC for between £300 to £400 and have something that is noticeably better than what you currently have.

So I have to search for control panel...?
This is kind of why I struggle with W10 over W7, but thanks, at least I now know !
I could certainly manage £600, was expecting it to be at least that.

I don't know if a micro ATX case makes things more tricky, but thats what I have got. I also have Noctua fans, a new SSD (250gb) and various HD's for storage, and a DVD drive so am fairly sorted for the 'bits'
No need for lights etc as it all sits at my feet, and they don't need illuminating !
Just need to be pointed towards which main components to look at..

So I have to search for control panel...?
This is kind of why I struggle with W10 over W7, but thanks, at least I now know !
I could certainly manage £600, was expecting it to be at least that.

I don't know if a micro ATX case makes things more tricky, but thats what I have got. I also have Noctua fans, a new SSD (250gb) and various HD's for storage, and a DVD drive so am fairly sorted for the 'bits'
No need for lights etc as it all sits at my feet, and they don't need illuminating !
Just need to be pointed towards which main components to look at..

Well heres a starter for 10 based upon the parts you already have

With an i3
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/CPJFQV

With an i5
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4X7M7h

I just archived a motherboard bundle as it didn't sell.

It is populated with a core i3 processor and 4GB RAM

If you think you may be interested I could re-instate the for sale thread for you, with a lower price obviously

Just where is the control panel in W10 ???

Windows key: Windows System. Once you've found it, right click and pin it to the Start menu (if you use it often!)

Well heres a starter for 10 based upon the parts you already have

With an i3
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/CPJFQV

With an i5
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4X7M7h

Cool - I didn't know such places existed. Do they let you know if the parts you choose will or won't work together, as this is a bit of a fear of mine...

I just archived a motherboard bundle as it didn't sell.

It is populated with a core i3 processor and 4GB RAM

If you think you may be interested I could re-instate the for sale thread for you, with a lower price obviously

Keith - is that a micro atx motherboard, as that is what I would need to fit my case ?

Cool - I didn't know such places existed. Do they let you know if the parts you choose will or won't work together, as this is a bit of a fear of mine..

There is a box check for compatibility so it should only let you choose components that work with each other.
The only variable would be the cpu cooler as its fitment is dependant on the height of it being accomodated by the depth of your case.

If you're insisting on replacing the guts (although significantly more expensive and potentially wasteful than a potential fix) take a look at second hand 4th gen i7 bundles.

Normally you can pick the cpu, motherboard and 16gb ram for roughly £300.

Remember whatever you do you'll need a Windows reinstall and setup, technically you'll need a new copy if it shipped with the old computer (I.e OEM version) but can normally get away with transferring it.

Have you actually tried doing a windows re-install and when it says do you want to save the old information, select no.

Very often there are Gremlins in the hard drive and operating system picked up from the internet that makes a PC appear to have hardware faults.

When you flush them out by wiping the hard drive blank and re-install windows low and behold the PC works like the day you bought it and just as fast too.

Hi, yes it is an MATX board

I have re-instated the for sale thread and amended it with new prices

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ard-bundle-with-cpu-ram-graphics-card.667250/

Thanks Keith, I'll take a look once I have tried a fresh install of windows. as GTG suggests.

If you're insisting on replacing the guts (although significantly more expensive and potentially wasteful than a potential fix) take a look at second hand 4th gen i7 bundles.

Normally you can pick the cpu, motherboard and 16gb ram for roughly £300.

Remember whatever you do you'll need a Windows reinstall and setup, technically you'll need a new copy if it shipped with the old computer (I.e OEM version) but can normally get away with transferring it.

Thanks Neil as always !

Have you actually tried doing a windows re-install and when it says do you want to save the old information, select no.

Very often there are Gremlins in the hard drive and operating system picked up from the internet that makes a PC appear to have hardware faults.

When you flush them out by wiping the hard drive blank and re-install windows low and behold the PC works like the day you bought it and just as fast too.

No, I haven't yet. I'd kind of expected that given the age of my pc that it was about time to replace things.. I've left the computer backing up everything overnight so am going to try a fresh install.
I've never done this, and the idea fills me with dread - looking for program CD's or licence numbers doesn't sound much fun....

Back