what nikon would you buy?

Name
nik
Edit My Images
No
ive been thinking about this for a while. ive a fair few 35mm cameras and over the years many more but oddly have never owned a nikon slr. ive had nikon dslrs just not the film versions.
i tend to prefer canon but would like to try a nikon out,
if you were after getting a good feel for their slrs what would you buy? open to most things really manual or auto focus, manual wind or motor drive. but that said i tend to enjoy manual film advance and focus. would like a higher shutter speed than the lower end cameras have available ideally and built in metering with both aperture priority and full manual, other modes great but they are the two i use more than most. would like a recommendation for a good 35mm lens to go with it as well please.
and------ not a budget busting price with good reliability and not a silly weight.

Until you got to the end, I was going to suggest an F2 or F3. The F2 is a classic, but the F3 is (to me) more fun.

Until you got to the end, I was going to suggest an F2 or F3. The F2 is a classic, but the F3 is (to me) more fun.
thank you would that be just weight that changed your mind?

i tend to enjoy manual film advance and focus. would like a higher shutter speed than the lower end cameras have available ideally and built in metering with both aperture priority and full manual
It sounds like the FE2 would suit you, or else the newer (and rather more expensive) FM3a, or the older (and now cheaper) FE. If you'd consider an AF camera the F100 is great.

Yes, it was the weight although I'm judging the F2 by 35mm SLR standards, rather than DSLR in which company it's probably very small and light :D.

Last edited:
I've owned an FE2 & currently have an F3 - the most stunning camera I've ever had!

Totally biased opinion here. F2. Fully manual, fabulous build quality. Pair it with a 35mm f2.

cheers guys- I think:D
so f2, f3 fe2, fe3a or f100- I think the possible list is now longer:eek: but so far I guess f2 or 3 are mentioned most, I think the weight would probably be fine (will chk specs later) and lens the 35mm f2, is the a particular model?

FM2n, FE2, F90X or F100. I do have the F3 but its not that hot love affair as some guys has with it

Last edited by a moderator:
so f2, f3 fe2, fe3a or f100- I think the possible list is now longer:eek: but so far I guess f2 or 3 are mentioned most, I think the weight would probably be fine (will chk specs later) and lens the 35mm f2, is the a particular model?

Currently using ai. Previously (wish I still had it) pre ai Nikkor O.

Just loved the look of the older lens. Can’t actually notice much difference in output. But I’m not concerned with critical sharpness and I don’t pixel peep.

Well to cover most type of shooting and lenses (also pre AI) you either need the F4 OR two cameras i.e. FM (takes pre AI lenses) and to keep the costs down a F90x.

For me personally, the FM2n or the FM3a are absolutely lovely cameras. The FM3a can be expensive, but you've not put a budget down so it's hard to say. It is however the youngest design manual camera from Nikon.

I have a F90X and a F100 both very good paired with some decent glass

Can't go wrong with the F2 or F3 for quality (these were the flagship pro SLRs), though they are heavier than the mid range models, need more complicated arrangements for flash, the F2 doesn't do aperture priority, and neither has the shutter speed range of the FE2 or FM3A (which go to 1/4000). Just realised the older FE tops out at 1/1000, so maybe scratch that off the list as you mention higher shutter speeds - the F2 and F3 go to 1/2000. One thing I don't like about the FE/FM series cameras is that you need to pull out the wind-on lever to the stand-off position to turn on the meter and unlock the camera - not great for left-eyed shooters like me. Otherwise I'd probably pick the FM3A over any other manual focus Nikon - it's the last high quality one they made, which may help with spare parts, and has a clever hybrid shutter with both electronic control for aperture priority and a full range of mechanical speeds that work without a battery. But an FE2 will probably be significantly cheaper. Its cousin the FM2 doesn't do aperture priority. I'd still pick the F100 over any of these, though, and it gives you the option of using the modern 35mm f/1.8, which as a 'G' lens isn't compatible with any of the others mentioned.

Last edited:
I have an F3 and a FM2n, can't go wrong with either but I tend to pick up my FM2n more due to it being lighter, being better for flash work (has a faster sync speed and I don't need a hotshoe adapter), having a 1/4000th max shutter speed, and not actually needing batteries at all to work which helps in cold weather.

Last edited:
cheers guys, great info like the look of a few of them but I guess I will see what comes available at the right price in reasonable condition.
I think more research is needed, will help from the pointers on here. must admit I wasn't aware that the wind on lever acted as a lock, I will have a play around with some of my cameras and see if I think this would be a problem as I shoot with my left eye as well. as for the buy two cameras:confused: get back Satan :D

Agree with what folks have posted but would also mention the FA. More modes than you need but great matrix metering in a smaller and maybe lighter form.

Seems less sought after than other manual focus models so should be cheaper too.

F3 HP - oh, I seem to already have one! :)

All the Cameras mentioned; F2, F3, FE2, FA are excellent but they are not getting any younger! The F2 was fully mechanical but because of their age may require a good CLA and there is a long waiting list from the best F2 person in the Country.
The F3 was built to an amazing standard and it's electronics were exceptionality well designed hence I thought it was the best option when I returned to film a few months ago.

All are superb though but I love the build quality of my F3 compared to the FE2 I had.

cheers guys, I realize that the f3 hp version is newer but is it the better version to look at if I go that route?
btw is the f2 guy miles whitehead?

I have a decent selection but especially love my FM2n and FA

cheers guys, I realize that the f3 hp version is newer but is it the better version to look at if I go that route?
btw is the f2 guy miles whitehead?

If you are a glasses wearer then the HP with the DE-3 finder is the better choice. If you don't, or wear contact lenses then the non HP DE-2 is the better choice. Trade is magnification vs eye relief with the HP IIRC.

Sover Wong is the recognised F2 repair fella. Imagine Miles Whitehead would be able to work on one though?

I am rather spoilt for choice with Nikon's. Favourite at the moment is the F2A. Just something about the way it shoots that has me picking it up ahead of the F3 & the others.

Last edited:
I own several Nikons, and my left field suggestion would be to take a look at the FA. It was a milestone 35mm camera at the time offering matrix metering.

Take a look at some of the pictures I have posted here, all taken with my own FA.

F2/F3 are great cameras, and I own a F4 & original F with a working FTn finder, but my current go to camera is still the FA right now (and I wear specs)

F3 & F3 HP were manufactured alongside each other so there is no guarantee the HP version will be newer - go by serial numbers for age.
I prefer the look of the non HP version which is the true Giorgetto Giugiaro design and is a pleasure to look at - pure 80's angular edges :)

I have both prisms and prefer the "plain" version simply because the screen image is larger.

Back