What Point and Shoot to buy

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I am after the best quality point and shooter camera out there, for the days when i cant take my D300.

I am looking for a premium point and shoot (PAS) camera, compact or ultra compact, as my sony cyber shot dscp71 has died, it was only 3.2 but the images out of it were stunning for a 3.2 PAS cam, I have been looking at reviews for the following cams and been generally dissapointed, these are meant to be the best in class.

Nikon S710
Sony T700, T77 & W170, W300
Canon ISUX 960/70/80 (ugly but seem to get best shots)(differing US names)

I am willing to spend upto £300 but i find the reviews on multiplty sites contradicting each other, looking at some of the hi res images these are not brilliant to say the least, is this because i am benchmarking against my D300.

Have you any cams you would like to offer up as a good image takers, hi res images would be welcomed also (not of the cam but hi res images taken with it) :):):)

I only after a superb quality image taker. . . . not much to ask is it

your thoughts guys and girls

canon g9 or g10 do not know the costs but played with g9 that belongs to a friend and was very impressed

Panasonic and Canon have got the best compacts in most categories. There are other good brands of course, but these two always score top. Check out the reviews on www.dpreview.com

Lumix LX3, if the short zoom range is okay for you, is raved about everywhere :)

Richard.

I think you nailed it when you said that images dont compare to your D80----They dont and thats why we have DSLRs.Not knowing much about p&s cameras I bought my wife a Pentax Optio two years ago and frankly was surprised at just how good it was.This sparked an interest in me and I have had several different p&s cams in that time.Like you I wanted the best IQ but consistently failed to find it.Dont get me wrong--I took some terrific pics at times when my DSLR was not with me----but they still needed improving in post- irrespective of the quality of camera.
What the exercise taught me was that there is no substitute for a DSLR.My problem now was that I had got used to having a camera with me at pretty much all times.I finalised on a Panasonic TZ4 because of the flexibility of its 10x zoom (a one camera solution when the kits not around).The IQ is not as good as some--but it is still pretty good--and for those really cracking shots--a little bit of TLC in post does the trick nicely.It is the perfect solution for me --but not perhaps for everyone else.
P&S cameras have come on leaps and bounds--almost any of the premium ranges will have a camera that suits your shooting style.Most of the output will be more than ok---but to get near to your D80 quality you will need to work in post.I love my p&s--because of it I now take many more pics than I used to.I am blown away by what such a small camera can do--------but its not a DSLR.
Pete.

why do the US have different body names ??

Keeping products country-specific helps reduce grey importing. Confusing as heck though, especially on international websites.

Richard.

Lumix LX3 and Canon G10 are the best P&S but as other people have said you still won't get DSLR quality. That said, I'm going to be picking one up soon as I sometimes just want a camera I can chuck in my pocket as I often miss what I think would be a great shot because I didn't want to carry my DSLR with me. I'll probably be going for the LX3 since I don't need the zoom on the G10.

I have a G10 and when I'm using Digital Photo Professional to process the RAW images then the output looks impressive on a 24" screen. Mind you, a 16GB SD card gives you about 700 images, so be aware that the RAWs are big.

for small pocket sized simple point and shoots the canon ISUX range seem to keep popping up on a regular basis across all the review sites, generally they seem to be giving the sony W or T range a hard time on quality- shame cos i used to love my old dspc-71 but it was old 3.2mp old lol but seems to have had better IQ than these modern fellas but AA batts wernt the best for cameras ehh.
The modern sony's do look damn good but the IQ just doesnt seem to match the output.

Back