What Polarising and ND Grad Filter?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what size filters I would need to fit my Canon 17-55 2.8 IS and 70-200 L 2.8 IS?

I'm after an ND Grad and Polarising Filter for both lenses.

Marc

The 17-55 also has a 77mm filter thread size.

For your info, if you go to warehouse express., the helpful guys put the filtersize in the lens description.....(y)

Note that you can duplicate the effects of ND filters by making multiple exposures and combining them in software. However that means taking multiple images and if you have a moving subject that could lead to problems. For landscape work though (which is where an ND grad is most often used), the digital stitching of multiple images taken with different exposures may be just as effective (even maybe more effective), though it probably requires more effort than just taking the shot using a filter.

Note that you can duplicate the effects of ND filters by making multiple exposures and combining them in software. However that means taking multiple images and if you have a moving subject that could lead to problems. For landscape work though (which is where an ND grad is most often used), the digital stitching of multiple images taken with different exposures may be just as effective (even maybe more effective), though it probably requires more effort than just taking the shot using a filter.

Any decent tutorials?

The fllter size of a lens is almost always shown on the lens barrel or on the front of the lens. This is the 70-200mm 2.8L IS. Look for that little symbol - the circle with the line through it which represents filter size - in this case 77mm.

filtersize.jpg

The other place to look is on the inside of the lens cap where all Canon lenses have the filter size marked

The only one of my lenses which isn't marked is the 50mm 1.4, but the filter size is shown inside the lens cap - 58mm.

Marc, you sound a bit new so apologies if this is already obvious. . .

decide whether you want screw on filters or rectangular ones. the rectangular systems are particularly good for ND grads as it allows you to move the graduation line up and down in the shot as well as angularly (so you dont have to position the horizon to suit the filter, you can move the filter to suit the level of the horizon in your shot)

also rectangular filters will fit any size lens, the filters go in a holder, the holder fits to (and rotates on) the end of the lens with a screw on adapter, you only need a new screw on adapter to fit one set of expensive filters to a different sized lens. Another advantage is that rectangular filter system holders (of the right size) allow more than one filter to be used simultaneously without the risk of vignetting

polarizing, you need CIRCULAR (or CIR, CIRC) polarising for auto focus cameras (not LINEAR or LIN), this refers to the polarising coating, not the lens fitting. They are available in screw on and rectangular types (they are actually round so they can be rotated for polarizing alignment but fit in the rectangular filter system holders)

there are basically 3 different rectangular filter sizes, but different makes of filter are interchangeable within a filter size. You need to get a size big enough so that it wont vignette with your lenses (and future wide angle lenses if likely).

ND grads are available in different ND densities and with different degrees of graduation. I dont know more, I just know it exists, there are threads about it here on TP.

now, over to the experts

Thanks. Your replies have been very helpful and informative. I'm just in the process of ordering now. :)

Would just like to add that after todays outing at least on the cokin p series filters the circular poloarizer is a circular drop in filter that you spin round in the filter holder until it gives you the correct results. As had already been pointed out though the other types of polarizer can either be rectangular that drop into your filter holder and can be stacked with other filters or the screw in variety that screw into the front of you lens. Its definatley the circular polarizer you need though on digital cameras and not the linear ones.

yep it's the Cokin Circular Polariser (P Series) that i'm ordering and the Cokin ND Grad 'Kit' (Also P Series) that warehousexpress do. All at 77mm to fit both my lenses. :)

yep it's the Cokin Circular Polariser (P Series) that i'm ordering and the Cokin ND Grad 'Kit' (Also P Series) that warehousexpress do. All at 77mm to fit both my lenses. :)

Excellent, thats exactly what I will be ordering too (y)

Can I ask was Warehouse Express the cheapest place to order it from??

Morrisphoto was another option but i haven't used them before so I chose Warehouse as I've used them before without any issues :)

Look at Lee filters...expensive but IMO worth the extra

Back