What polarising filter?

Edit My Images
No
im after a polarising filter for my nikon (52mm) lens so that I can cut out water surface glare enabling me to take photos of fish in water.
There seems to be a few cheap filters and was wondering if these actually do the job or they just a gimmick?
Thanks

Do a search! Yes they work! They range from a fiver to over £200! You get what you pay for generally

I've got a lee 105mm CPL and it's brilliant ! But it's not cheap

Pretty much anything multicoated except hoya Pro1D kind. Fish around ebay and classifieds for a bargain. It is certainly doable for well under £30. It is a fragile consumable item so you don't want to overspend here.

As the old saying goes Buy Cheap buy twice, Buy Expensive and get ripped off. :exit:

There are more sellers of filters than there are makers so it is quit possible that some of the cheaper filters are made by the same people that make the more expensive filters, might not be the same formulation but they are not going to risk their reputation making bad glass are they.

Must admit though I often buy cheap and in the case of my polarizing filters bought cheap on the BayofEvil I have never found a bad one. Yet :)

Last edited:
But you wouldn't want a cheap piece of glass in front of a decent lens...

paying over the odds doesn't make the piece of glass any better. I am still unsure how £80 piece of simple polycarbonate sheet branded as Lee or Hitech is "good" in a light of such statements.

After reading the lenstip site I bought a Marumi DHG Circular P.L.D. from Amazon. Review was very good and was great value for money compared to my previous (lost!) Sigma DG. Can easily recommend the Marumi filter!

I personally dont think the CPL filter makes that much effect if you're to shoot through the water. it does however make colours more contrasty.. it eliminates glares a little bit but not all.. I used Hoya and B+W, and clearly B+W has an edge on this. So yes you do get what you pay for ;)

After reading the lenstip site I bought a Marumi DHG Circular P.L.D. from Amazon. Review was very good and was great value for money compared to my previous (lost!) Sigma DG. Can easily recommend the Marumi filter!

Would second this, replaced a damaged Hoya with a Marumi after reading that review and have bought and recommended nothing else since!

I personally dont think the CPL filter makes that much effect if you're to shoot through the water. it does however make colours more contrasty.. it eliminates glares a little bit but not all.. I used Hoya and B+W, and clearly B+W has an edge on this. So yes you do get what you pay for ;)

The polarising effect is all about angles used correctly it removes almost all glare and reflection from water allowing you to get vastly improved pictures of the fish etc below! Sadly I only have examples with the polariser set not without it to compare.

It'll make a massive difference cutting out reflections so a CPL is ideal for this purpose.

It'll make a massive difference cutting out reflections so a CPL is ideal for this purpose.

Yes, when the angles are right, a polariser will remove reflections pretty much completely. Optimum angle is between 30-40 degrees to the surface.

I highly recommend Hoya HD series over anything else. They are 25% more transparent than other polarisers (bright viewfinder, faster shutter times) and the glass and coatings are hardest I know. They are also easy to clean.

I highly recommend Hoya HD series over anything else. They are 25% more transparent than other polarisers (bright viewfinder, faster shutter times) and the glass and coatings are hardest I know. They are also easy to clean.

Yes, Marumi Exus is similar to Hoya HD, and there's also a Chinese-made Kood CPL Slim cheapie with the same improved transmission.

If wanting a polariser to use with a long lens (eg reducing reflections off the windscreen with motorsport) then go for a good quality one. Longer focal lengths magnify any slight imperfections in the glass that can reduce sharpness.

I would buy a Hoya - I've owned a number, all the way up to the 105mm Heliopan beast. Frankly, there was no difference. The argument is often made that you should get a large circular filter to fit your largest threaded lens, then adapt it down, but frankly you'd spend just as much doing that as buying 1 for each lens. Some will obviously have the same thread size.

I second this.

Great filter.

Back