Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Aperture

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Nikon Capture MX

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
H

Hoodi

- If a mod could make this a poll, it'd be muchos appreciated.

So as per title, really - what RAW convertor do you use? Some offer the best results, if you've got time on your hands. Others are muchos nippy but perhaps not as high quality, others are a happy medium, and some are just nice because they're well integrated into other software.

So what software do you usually use? Just curious, really :)

Me? I use Nikon Capture NX - not particularly nippy, but lovely results. And it has some good batch processing tools for just leaving a pile of shots to run.

currently Canon Digital Photo Professional - don't like it though, waiting for the Camera Raw 3.6 update from Adobe so I can use the Photoshop RAW plugin (I'm using a 400D).

Canon Digital Photo Professional, came free with camera

Just added the poll.

Theses are the ones I know off, so if you would like any more adding please shout.

If you use more than one, select the ones you are using.

ACDSee Pro has a RAW converter in too, I sometimes use it for quick conversions

i use google picassa most of the time for ease.
When editing is required is use gimp & ufraw.

How about adding the options?? :)

Adobe RAW thingummy usually, don't often use RAW though.

I don't yet but I'd like to!! When I try to download Rawshooter essentials and run it it blows out on me :-(

Any advice for a someone very raw at RAW?

I don't yet but I'd like to!! When I try to download Rawshooter essentials and run it it blows out on me :-(

Any advice for a someone very raw at RAW?

Ufraw or dpmagic are quite good to start with.

Ufraw integrates nice with The Gimp to do advance editing.
dpmagic adds raw to you explorer thumbnail view, so you dont have to wait for microsoft to get their thumb out their rear and bloody update explorer.

Thanks Brummie - any of these shareware or freeware? Any idea where I can get copy of RS essentials that works!!!!

You're a star Brummie, thanks - lets dip my toe in the RAW water then!!!!

John

I've used BreezeBrowser for almost 2 years but (very) recently I've been trying to get to grips with RSE. BreezeBrowser is a great program but it just can't seem to handle InfraRed shots for me, they come out much worse than some of the other offerings.

Aperture is what i use, and i think it's great :D

Though i could do with a MUCH faster machine for it! Though 1.5 is now out, so i might take a look at that soon.

Rawshooter and Adobe Camera Raw here, dabbled with Capture One and quite like it - just the price puts me off :(

Nikon Capture 4

Nikon Capture NX - needs adding to the poll.....

ACR for me :)

:: EDIT ::

I'll be using Lightroom as soon as it's officially released

I have a choice between ACR or s7raw or fuji's own (I have an s9500). s7raw is a bit clunky but the results are pretty good. fuji's RAW converter (who's name escapes me now) is supposed to be good but it's reasonably expensive. ACR does the trick for me.

Raw shooter is my choice, the free one.
I don't know any better, but I've always been impressed with its ability...that’s based against simply using JPGS in APS.

You're a star Brummie, thanks - lets dip my toe in the RAW water then!!!!

John

I found it a bit of a shock when I first went RAW John, the amount of in camera processing when shooting JPEG is quite staggering on some scenes. It look me quite a while to adjust and realise that I could dial back in the adjustments, and more.... took me a while, but I kinda love it now, although I sometimes I wish I'd let the camera decide the settings in jpeg.. Because it'll do a consistently better job than me. :LOL:

I would consider going back to JPEG for say a motor sport race or similar, other than that, far more control in RAW...you'll love it.

I tend to use three:

Bibble 4.9 is my go-to as its fast and versatile in resize outputs. Been using Camera Raw more sine i bought CS2.

The update to beta 4 from beta 3 in lightroom almost matched Bibble now for speed and with the adobe suite links am starting to use it more and more.......

I use Aperture when im booted into OSX or RSP when Im in Windows.... much prefer Aperture, and with the recent v1.5 patch its even better.

Used to use Rawshooter Premium which was good except that it didn't render some colours properly - especially strong reds which came out too orange however you adjusted the balance.

Recently been playing with several, including Canon DPP, Bibble Pro and now Lightroom B4.

Canon DPP gives a decent conversion but there's no easy control over highlights and shadows, and no built-in free rotation. Also the RAW/RGB processing split seems a bit unnecessary.

Once I figured out what all the work and batch queues were all about, I got on well with Bibble, but... There are two issues for me. One is that it's quite slow to display thumbnails and images unless you have a fast machine. It's a bit of a chore on my aged P4 2400 desktop, but much quicker on a dual-core lappy.

The other issue is that it is inclined to give a magenta or cyan colour cast to blown highlights, especially if you use the highlight recovery tool. Several people have mentioned this on the Bibble forum, but there doesn't seem to be a solution yet. Maybe version 5 will cure it.

Although I'm not Adobe's biggest fan, I have to say that LR B4 is the best in terms of conversion quality, and now seems good for speed and usability too. Again there's a but... One of the wheels is missing! Lightroom has this nice Develop module, but there's no easy way to actually produce a TIFF or RAW file from it. You have to go to the Export feature which is much more hassle than the simple hotkey method of RSP and Bibble.

This issue is the source of many complaints, so there's some hope it will be improved for the v1.0 release. If it is, I will take up their offer of a free copy for RSP users, and then see whether the next release of Bibble can do even better. :)

Back