What scanner help please

den

Name
Dennis
Edit My Images
No
Hi, i have just foumd a load of old 35mm film negatives and wanted to go through them using a scanner,i also would like to me able to import them in to LR could anyone help with a scanner that would allow me to do that..Entry level to mid level at the moment .Thanks

Hi, i have just foumd a load of old 35mm film negatives and wanted to go through them using a scanner, I also would like to me able to import them in to LR could anyone help with a scanner that would allow me to do that..Entry level to mid level at the moment .Thanks
Perhaps one of the moderators @Cobra @TheBigYin could move this post to the film and conventional section? There are loads of people there who regularly use scanners that you could have a chat with and get some tailor made suggestions to hopefully best fit your needs. :)(y)

@ChrisR had a very useful scanner thread with a ton of information that he really should sig to save me tagging him because I can't find it :)

Ultimately though you need to provide a bit more info.

How many negs? A load could be hundreds, thousands or hundreds of thousands!
What's your budget? Will you use the scanner after the neg importing, will you sell it, or will you bin it/leave it to gather dust?
What quality do you want from the resulting images? Internet or large print? (A4+) If the quality isn't important there are apps for your phone that can scan which might be quicker - especially if you have a young family member who wants to earn a tenner :)
Do you have a DSLR, a macro lens/extension tubes and plenty of patience?

Getting them into LR is easy. Most scan software will put the resulting scans into a folder. Just add that folder to LR and sync it when you've finished scanning. Sadly, you will need some scanning software though. I tend to do it in 2 parts. Step 1 scan the files into the scan folder. Step 2 (usually the following day) sync the LR folder and do all the keywording/culling etc.

Some scanners do 1 at a time, some do 12 or more (2 strips of 6). Some will do a whole strip of 36.

Something like a V550 would probably be a great start. Good price point and good results, doing 12 at a time with the ability to get decent A4 prints out of the results if you take your time and aren't a perfectionist.

I have a negative and slide scanner for sale in the classified section

no problem - there's masses of info in there, and, probably lots more info available from us all when you read that thread and come out with the inevitable question or two (everyone does, but that's sort of the point of the thread - if you read it, you'll know the basics and be able to ask informed questions :) )

Reactions: den
Hi Dennis
Well not much to add to what Ian (Harlequin565) said:- but are you lucky in that the negs are in folders with the prints as you just need to scan the ones you like, the worst case is hundreds of negs just thrown in a drawer (or whatever) and covered in scratches etc. At least when scanning negs say with an Epson flatbed scanner you can get a thumb nail preview and select the ones you want for a final scan.
An Epson V700 can scan 24, 35mm negs at a time but a bit more expensive S\H but you can always resell it after use. After scanning hundreds of my old B\W negs and Kodachrome etc was relieved when it was over as it was very time consuming but then not so bad for me as I'm not working.
Good luck

Back