What Scanners ?

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
hi guys thinking of trying film as it interest me, what scanners do people use and any advice on a good cheap reliable one ? cheers :)

hi guys thinking of trying film as it interest me, what scanners do people use and any advice on a good cheap reliable one ? cheers :)

Well I mainly use Tesco for quick new stuff i.e. dev&scan £1.98, but scanned most of my old 35mm negs inc slides, on a s/h £8 Epson 2480, then bought a Epson V750 thinking it would blow away the £8 scanner, but it's a law of diminishing returns for your money.

I have an Epson V600, it's a nice bit of kit, comes with Elements 7 if you don't have any better and can handle 35mm up to 6x7 negatives.

Watch out for the W7/Vista drivers trap though :(

Dan, you're not going to pick up anything worth a fart for £8 unless you're really lucky or paying a lab to scan one roll.
You get what you pay for and if you go too cheap you may find its not fit for purpose..:)

Dan, you're not going to pick up anything worth a fart for £8 unless you're really lucky or paying a lab to scan one roll.
You get what you pay for and if you go too cheap you may find its not fit for purpose..:)

erm You don't go on ebay looking for scanners cos everyone else is doing it and they go for silly prices.......If a person has gone digital then an older scanner is junk to that person and would sell it cheap esp at boot sales. Also many people buy scan/print/fax machines and they too want the space by getting rid of a scanner.

correction:- maybe people don't want scanners now on ebay as type in "epson scanner" and tick "completed listing" and some are going very cheap.

I've got a £20 canon i bought off of ebay, it does the job but the image quality is not desperately good (everythng is slightly OOF) and it only scans one frame at once which takes ages.

buy something bigger and better (and even better if it has the facility to scan batches at once while your out sipping a brew

I'd also like to find a cheap scanner as I've got piles of old 35mm and 6 x 6cm negatives and transparencies I would like to scan.

Any suggestions, I'm a Mac boy as well?

I use a Nikon Coolscan V ED linked to PC. Pretty sure it can be linked to MAC. You may want to consider what scan resolution you want before making a purchase, as this can vary a lot. If just for personal enjoyment then may not be a big driver but will be for stock web sites or semi professional.

Other types out there are flatbed scanners. Worth a look around including ebay

Only if you call a CD a storage device I suppose.

The scans from my local Tesco are low resolution, noisy, oversharpened and full of dust and scratches, but if your only using them for web use their acceptable.

If you have a local Asda they will do a low res and a hi(ish) scan for only £1 more than tescos.

Back