What setting

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

This is a typical 'good' photo for me but I am far from happy with the results.

I was just wondering what setting people would use if they were taking this photo as I only use the presets at the moment.

I know theres a lot wrong with this photo, but I want you to concentrate on the face and ignore the background, how would you make it sharpe

Last edited:
You have a pet wallaby? Different.

Focus on the eye, don't lose bits of his/her body (ear tips n feet), orientate subject so handler/photographer shadow not in image. This might be better in portrait rather than landscape.

Having read that I feel cruel, don't intend to be. Hope it helps

Hi and thank you very much, no need to say you feel cruel as I want to learn so need all the help I can get.

I've taken the things you have said and have come up with the following picture. Would you say it is any better??

Last edited:
Much, much better!
But can you cut the hair in front of the eyes? Poor thing must be going mad!! :D

Thanks, :)

Yeah she could do with a trim, and we were actually planning on clipping her at the weekend.

Its not always as bad as that though, shes just had a bath so is very fluffy at the moment

Hi,

As said, try to focus on the eye, not sure how yopu have your focus set, but I find it best to use centre point focus (where the only focus point the camera uses is the centre one), hten put he centre point over the eye, half press the shutter button, then while holding the shutter button half presses recompose the shot to how you want, then press the shutter the rest of the way.

Also to seperate the subject from the background, put the camera in AV, set the appertuer to around F5.6, this will give a shollower Depth of Feild to the shot, which will blur the background a bit.

Hope that helps.

Thanks cosmix3, I have only been using the preset settings on the camera until now, as I could never figure out how to use the other settings, so I have tried it on av as you suggested and this is the result, also got to try out a sigma 50-500mm lens, which is pretty big

Here the photo, I've also copied the photo stats so you can see what I was doing

cows008.jpg

Photo stats:

statss1543.jpg

There is an deffinate improvment from the first :D, looks like the focus is in the right place, looks sharp, well done,

It takes time and practice, so best advice would be get out and enjoy it :D

See you are from Wiltshire, a good place to practice depending on how far from you is Cotswold Wildlfe Park.

Last edited:
Thanks,

Yeah I live fairly close to cotwold wildlife park, and go there a few times a year. I will try and take my 400d with me next time. It sound silly but I don't usually take my 400d with me places and only take a little casio compact as I feel awkward carrying it with me as I think people are looking at me lol. But I will have to get over my fear hehe. :)

Thanks,

Yeah I live fairly close to cotwold wildlife park, and go there a few times a year. I will try and take my 400d with me next time. It sound silly but I don't usually take my 400d with me places and only take a little casio compact as I feel awkward carrying it with me as I think people are looking at me lol. But I will have to get over my fear hehe. :)

Keep an eye on the meets section on here, we have had a few over there, I will be looking to do one again soon if I can, is a good way to get over the fear and pick others brains :D

Back