What Should I get as my First Tripod?

Name
Samuel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have for a while been borrowing my dads Slik 500g tripod. Although its excellent for macro work as its small, stable and lightweight, I want something a bit more robust for my landscapes as I mostly shoot handheld at the moment, these usually come out fine but as I like slower films like Velvia 50 it does mean that the slower shutter speeds are usually not as straight as would I like sometimes.

I have been looking at some cheaper tripods under the £35 mark. I know that I won't get the, best for this price, but I don't want to have to spend too much.
Two tripods that I have been looking at are the Slik F135 and the Camlink TP2800. Both are pretty much the same but the Camlink model is slightly taller and has a ballast hook. I can get either for about £20. Theres not very much info on the Slik model such as the diameter of the legs which is 28mm on the Camlink (i.e TP2800 = 28mm)

Camlink TP2800

ras-tp2800.jpg

Slik F153

1033660.jpg

What do you think??

Most people get a cheapo £20 tripod as their first one because it seems perfectly reasonable to do so and by doing so they can spend more on their camera and things that seem more likely to affect the actual pictures. It is only after lugging round a heavy tripod or one that wobbles or doesn't ever quite point in the right direction that they spend a little more and get something half decent.

There is very little to distinguish between any of the really cheap models so just get one on the basis that you will demote it to a flash stand in 6 months. If you can afford it it would be wise to spend a little more and get a cheap enthusiasts model such as a red snapper. There obviously cost more but they are a totally different beast and we get a discount being talk photography users :)

hi Samual

I have recently brought one of these for landscape photography http://www.aldine.co.uk/redsnapper/tripod-283.html. I'm very pleased it, the build quality is excellent and has many features that only come with slightly more costly models. you can spread the legs out low which i have found to be excellent for landscape, it has a hook for extra balance and support and i believe they are still offering a free 3 way head with it as well. oh and it comes with a bag as well which you usually have to buy as an extra.

Chris

You could also look for a used tripod - either in the TP classifieds or fleabay.

Hi

I'm also researching for my first tripod purchase and most likely will get one of the redsnapper ones like this: http://www.aldine.co.uk/redsnapper/tripod-283.html because of the price. I'd like to know what the weight of these tripods are like to carry around.....especially for travelling abroad to far places, as I want to keep it as light as possible.

Also, what is the difference between a 3 section and 4 section tripod? They are both the same price.

Thanks

I'm looking to upgrading soon too. I have a cheapie hama one from argos, it's fine for stuff in a stable environment (although a little awkward with the bit the camera sits on, it's difficult to get it level with the camera on), but on a bridge or an island in the road with cars going past - no chance! It canny for a first tripod and fairly stable, just not as stable as I'd like it to be. Pretty much identical to the first tripod in OP

i think all the weight specs are on the redsnapper website

Also, what is the difference between a 3 section and 4 section tripod? They are both the same price.

i can answer this one as i had the same dilemma. The 4 section has 4 leg sections (d'oh) this means that it can fold down smaller for carrying around, and you can also get it lower to the ground without reversing the centre column. Some say it's not as sturdy as the 3 section but i can tell you that i've only tried the 4 section and it's as solid as a rock. It's very well machined and all the tolerances are very tight which means it's ultra smooth to operate and nothing flops around on it. I've got the 284 with the ball head and i love it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the explanation on the 3 and 4 section, I thought it'd be this but the weight specs state they are the same weight. How can it be the same weight with an extra leg or are the specs just wrong? I've noticed the picture of the 283 and 284 are identical......which is why I asked the question in the first place. If the 283 is the lighter option then I'd definitely go for this.

Another question is, how is the RSH-24 3 way panning head that you get free with the 283/284? Good enough to use? Whats the difference between this free one and a more expensive ball head? I doubt I will moving the camera much on it......

Thanks again

The ballhead is very good for a heavy DSLR & Telephoto lens, friction is well controlled by 2 knobs, i was surprised how stable and easy it is to use. The free pan & tilt head will be superb, i bet it's far superior to my cheap Manfrotto one.

All this is very good about getting a more expensive tripod that is better, but I don't actually have £85 (as the £69 Redsnapper price does not include VAT) as I am trying to save cash but I would like a tripod.

IS there anything in-between the two - i.e around the £45 mark or if not what would you recommend I get?

All this is very good about getting a more expensive tripod that is better, but I don't actually have £85 (as the £69 Redsnapper price does not include VAT) as I am trying to save cash but I would like a tripod.

IS there anything in-between the two - i.e around the £45 mark or if not what would you recommend I get?

I bought the Camlink 2500 (thinner version of the 2800) yesterday and it's perfect for what I will need it for. I know I'm going to have to upgrade but for now it's just what I want. It's not heavy, it comes with a case, and it was <£30! (y)

http://www.aldine.co.uk/redsnapper/tripod-283.html

The 283 which I have linked above and the 284 are both £50, which come with a free 3 way panning head and a carry case. Pretty good deal it seems.

Oh, looked at wrong one as the first one that linked to redsnapper directed me to one that was £69.00. That £49.99 one is a pretty good deal that I may take advantage of. Unsure whether to get the 4 or 3 section one though.

Yeah, that's why I asked the question before. It looks like they are pretty similar but the 4 leg setup has the extra benefits that were mentioned earlier by bomberman. The fact that the 284 4 section can fold down smaller for carrying sounds good, and will probably sway me towards that although it depends if it is much heavier because of the extra leg.....

Would be good if someone with experience of both could shed some light.

Yeah, that's why I asked the question before. It looks like they are pretty similar but the 4 leg setup has the extra benefits that were mentioned earlier by bomberman. The fact that the 284 4 section can fold down smaller for carrying sounds good, and will probably sway me towards that although it depends if it is much heavier because of the extra leg.....

Would be good if someone with experience of both could shed some light.

According to the Redsnapper specs, both weigh exactly the same. I am leaning more towards the 4 section one though as it is slightly smaller unextended but at the same time has a slightly smaller max height but I don't think this will make much of a difference as I proberly won't use it at full height very much.

I purchased the Redsnapper 324 + Ball Head last week and its absolutely awesome... albeit, a bit out of your price range. This is my first tripod purchase too, so i thought i would push the boat out and spend the extra cash so that i don't have to buy another one in a years time :clap:

Get the redsnapper one with the tilt/pan head that costs £50 - you can always upgrade the head later. I've got one and it's great imo.

I went for the 4 section one for easier portability.

Hi

I've gone for the 4 section Redsnapper one with the free 3 way pan head and carry case, mainly because it folds to smaller and will be easier for carrying. It cost £55 in total with delivery (£5 delivery), it definitely looks like it has a better build quality than most £50 tripods with a head.

Why not stick an advert in Wanted? (when you can)

I've gone for the 4 section Redsnapper one with the free 3 way pan head and carry case, mainly because it folds to smaller and will be easier for carrying. It cost £55 in total with delivery (£5 delivery), it definitely looks like it has a better build quality than most £50 tripods with a head.

Just ordered this myself too :)

Received my Redsnapper tripod and panning head! Not had chance to test it out and about yet, but first impressions of it are definitely positive! I haven't owned any other tripod to compare with but it definitely seems leagues above the cheapo ones you get for about £25.

Very well built and sturdy, easy system for extending legs and the panning head with QR plate is not bad at all for free. Maybe an upgrade to the ball head at a later date will be a good option for greater ease. The carry case is very good too with a comfortable strap. All for £50, is a great bargain!

Also, Joe who sells them was very helpful and friendly when I had any questions.

I'm currently using a 5+ year old ~£30 Jessops tripod. Sometimes I feel like I'd have more control over a 747 in a hurricane so tend not to take it out very often any more, which is a shame.

Time to upgrade to one of these Redsnappers, I think. It's well worth spending that bit more and getting a half-decent tripod over the absolute entry-level ones that are often tempting to novices (like me), only to regret the purchase later.

Just to say I ordered around 2:30 yesterday and it was sitting happily in my hallway by 9am!

Hi Samuel,

OK lets tell you the bad news first!

You won't get a good cheap tripod for taking landscape pictures. Just cannot be done i'm afraid.

So what are we going to do about your budget then?

Well the for sales section is worth a look every now and then.

Lets then base the next bit on going for a cheap tripod because you have no option based on your budget!

You have now found out that the differeence between 3 and 4 section tripods is the size when closed down. Well it should also be obvious I hope that a cheap 4 section tripod will not be as sturdy as a cheap 3 section tripod. Physics I'm afraid, a 4 section has more moving parts and because they all fold into each other, thiner legs. The only reason you should buy a 4 section is if a 3 section one won't fit in your suitcase when flying. Other than that buy a 3 section one.

We now have a cheap 3 section tripod, how do we make it as stable as possible?

Make sure it comes with a hook under the centre. This hook serves a good purpose! You put your camera bag on there so it will hold the tripod a lot more firmly to the ground and give you the least amount of movement.

That's it as far as tripods go. I don't know the ones you have been recommended to look at, but armed with the above you should be able to choose the most sturdy one available within your price bracket.

Next thing is either to learn how to always use your timer or get the lowest cost remote control for your camera. This because the act of touching any part of the camera or tripod will cause movement and you obviously want to stop that completely!

You will of course have great fun taking landscape pictures. The next thing is to meet up with like minded people - us of course - and feed of our knowledge, there is plenty to be had on this forum.

Best regards

Chris

Another vote for red snapper!

i've had my one for just over a year or so now, and i'm still really chuffed with it, excellent build quility a value for money.

Your better saving your £'s and waiting for the red snapper.

When i got mine i got a 10% discount for being a TP member, don't know if this is still the case though?

Mine arrived the next day after ordering. I did email to say I was a member of Talk Photography but no email about discount yet.

What I wanted to ask is what head would people recommend? My camera isn't too heavy a D200 that sometimes has an 80-200 attached to it. I can't decide between the red snapper head and a Manfrotto.

The red snapper RSH-12 is about 50 quid and the Manfrotto 496RC2 is about the same on Amazon. Anyone have any ideas on this?

The 10% is only valid if you purchased at full price, and did not get one of the special offers on the site. So if you got the 283/284 with free panning head deal, won't get extra 10%.

I'm not sure how the ball heads compare to each other, I'd like to know this information too for future. I've found that with this panning head, its not possible angle the camera downwards, only upwards. If I want to aim it down, I have to alter the legs..........is this normal? And is this one of the main reasons why people go for ball heads? I assume it is possible to angle the camera in any direction with a ball head.

lauy, not sure if we have the same panning head, but on mine you can angle the camera down rather than up by inserting the quick release plate the other way round. Does that make sense?

lauy, not sure if we have the same panning head, but on mine you can angle the camera down rather than up by inserting the quick release plate the other way round. Does that make sense?

Hi

Thanks for the tip.........I'm not sure if the one I have can do this, I'll have to check when I'm back from work. I suppose I know what you mean, by turning the plate round, it could be used in the opposite direction. But it is either or.....can't do both at same time right?

Back