What should I spend my money on?

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
No
I have about £300 to spend at the moment, but could run to around £450 at a push.

I have a Nikon D40X at the moment but quite fancy a D80 as it has DOF preview, in camera motor, and bracketing facility, the only downside is that it is a bit heavier than my D40x and I need to travel light.

The other item I fancy is a Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon fit lens which seems to be around £300. I really like taking landscapes, but am just a little concerned again as to how much extra weight this would be than my D40X with kit lens, or Nikon 55-200 VR lens attached.

Any advice gratefully appreciated as to what decision I should make, and where the best place would be to get either of the above from please.

Men and booze? ;)

More seriously, I'd say a D80, a used D50 or a D70(s) or a brand switch (if you sell your current gear) would be best with the budget you have.

As for the lenses, a 10-20 mm Sigma sounds good for landscapes, but perhaps a more versatile lens wouldn't be bad either.
What do you actually take photos of the most?

EDIT: I've looked at your Flickr photos just now and it seems a wide angle zoom would suit you well.

Hmmm. I don't think I agree with your shopping list.

* DOF preview ... how useful is that, really? For landscape photography, not at all.
* In camera motor ... fine if you really want to use all those clunky, heavy, noisy, slow old Nikon lenses, but the future is ultrasonic focus motors in the lenses.
* Brackleting ... OK, can be helpful.
* Sigma 10-20 ... too wide for landscapes most of the time.

What is it you're actually trying to achieve with your upgrade? Nail that, and we can help you spend your money.

I used the Sigma 10-20 for a while before upgrading to the Nikkor 12-24 (what I really wanted to start with!). It's a great lens & quite compact/light for travelling but with really good build quality. You should be able to pick one up on ebay new from japan for around £280ish inc postage. I'd recommend ** Galaxy as a good place to start, I've bought several things from Hugo & never had any probs with customs or such :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Sigma-10-...ihZ021QQcategoryZ3343QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

The other option might be the great walkabout Nikkor 18-200mm VR. I really wish I hadn't got rid of mine now as it was just so compact as a 1 lens option and negates the need to carry 3 or 4 lenses (not entirely practical for extensive walking trips)
I don't think you can do it all with your budget but IMHO the glass is the important bit- new camera models will come & go but a good bit of glass will last you a lifetime.... hope this helps :)

I used the Sigma 10-20 for a while before upgrading to the Nikkor 12-24 (what I really wanted to start with!). It's a great lens & quite compact/light for travelling but with really good build quality. You should be able to pick one up on ebay new from japan for around £280ish inc postage. I'd recommend ** Galaxy as a good place to start, I've bought several things from Hugo & never had any probs with customs or such :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Sigma-10-...ihZ021QQcategoryZ3343QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

The other option might be the great walkabout Nikkor 18-200mm VR. I really wish I hadn't got rid of mine now as it was just so compact as a 1 lens option and negates the need to carry 3 or 4 lenses (not entirely practical for extensive walking trips)
I don't think you can do it all with your budget but IMHO the glass is the important bit- new camera models will come & go but a good bit of glass will last you a lifetime.... hope this helps :)

I think the ** above replace U R

Trouble is Gary the D200 is far too heavy for carrying up mountains. I've tried a friends and it weighs a ton, fine in the car but not in my rucksack. This is why I went for the D40X as it was the lightest available, but I thought the D80 might be a compromise, and also that I could use autofocus instead of only manual with my prime lens.

* DOF preview ... how useful is that, really? For landscape photography, not at all.
* In camera motor ... fine if you really want to use all those clunky, heavy, noisy, slow old Nikon lenses, but the future is ultrasonic focus motors in the lenses.
I agree with all of those points.

If weight is an issue don't buy another lens. You can always create panoramas with multiple images from a longer lens.

How about a carbon fibre tripod. I have one and they are ace!

What is it you're actually trying to achieve with your upgrade? Nail that, and we can help you spend your money.

Hi Stewart,
I thought DOF because I do also like to take close up photos with my 50mm prime lens and close up lens.
I thought in camera motor so I could also use prime lens with AF sometimes.
Bracketing - in case I wanted to do HDR without using a tripod.
Sigma 10-20 to get some good wide angle shots of landscapes and buildings etc.
Also I was quite inspired by some of the 10-20 shots on the threads.

If weight is an issue don't buy another lens. You can always create panoramas with multiple images from a longer lens.

How about a carbon fibre tripod. I have one and they are ace!

There's no way I could lug any tripod up to the top of Snowdon, Cadair Idris etc. I'm shattered enough after racing up there following my super fit hubby. It's difficult enough to get him to stop to get my breath let alone put my tripod up.:bang:

I do create panoramas quite often so maybe that is the way to continue, but do you think I would benefit by upgrading to a D80, the D200 is out of the question due to weight.

Buy the best you can afford - then get hubby to lug it up! :LOL:

Seriously though do not let money burn a hole in your pocket. If it ain't broke and all that.......

As has been suggested by other posters upgrade only when you NEED the extra features/quality/whatever. (y)

Buy the best you can afford - then get hubby to lug it up! :LOL:

Seriously though do not let money burn a hole in your pocket. If it ain't broke and all that.......

As has been suggested by other posters upgrade only when you NEED the extra features/quality/whatever. (y)

But I do so want to buy myself a pressie - hubby's got himself yet another guitar for his collection:bang:

I would suggest the D80 upgrade as the next time you have a few quid you can get yourself some pro glass (the old 80-200 f2.8s can be found quite cheaply these days I bought mine plus my 35-70 f2.8 for £450 but they need the all important AF motor)

When I can get round to it I'm selling my D80 - I will advertise it for about £350 posted so if you are interested and want first dibs let me know

I think my mind is now tending toward the D80, but know I am trying to decide whether to go the extra and get it with the kit lens, either the 18-70 or the 18-135, as it's not a lot more when you take into consideration the £50 cash back. I already have the 18-55 kit lens and the 55-200 VR lens. Would it be any advantage to me or should I just stay with the body? Any opinions on this please.

Why dont you save up a bit more, then buy me a Canon 24mm F1.2 L USM.

you ask where to buy. if it the sigma, i personally would go to jessops and use lens10 discount code. since a high street shop, you can try before you buy, and return it if you get a bad un with little effort(2 weeks waiting for it to go back to HK anyone?). you also get the full uk warranty.

I think my mind is now tending toward the D80, but know I am trying to decide whether to go the extra and get it with the kit lens, either the 18-70 or the 18-135, as it's not a lot more when you take into consideration the £50 cash back. I already have the 18-55 kit lens and the 55-200 VR lens. Would it be any advantage to me or should I just stay with the body? Any opinions on this please.

Given that you have the 18-55 and the 55-200VR I would stick to the D80body only. However, if you do want to get a new lens the one to go for is the 18-70mm it has a metal lens mount and it also has the little window that shows you the focus distance which is very useful when doing landscapes and wanting to select the hyperfocal distance. The 18-135 is not such a good lens.

Personally I'd get neither and save for better lenses, but it's your choice.

Thanks Simon for your advice. I think you are right. As my main love is landscape photography I think I will probably get a D80 and then save up for the 20mm F2.8D AF Nikkor lens. I presume that this would be a good landscape lens and would work in AF mode with the D80. It would also be a lot lighter to carry around than the zoom lens. What do you think - am I on the right track?

But I do so want to buy myself a pressie - hubby's got himself yet another guitar for his collection:bang:

Ooh go on show us!!

IMO I never use the DOF button for landscape or anything else for that matter. From what I know the D40x is a good lightweight body. so upgrading to a bigger heavier model would probably not meet your needs

I'm afraid I cant recomend a nokon lens (being canon myself), But when I get round to looking I will go for the 10-20 or the 16-35. In a word (or two) Buy Glass!!

yeah, cos all Nikon lenses are like that aren't they...:shake:...
Ultrasonic motors are an absolute necessity for landscapes along with DOF preview...:thinking:
where the heck is the rolls eyes smiley, other forums have it ?

Ultrasonic motors are an absolute necessity for landscapes along with DOF preview...

I wasn't planning on just doing landscapes, but also some close ups hence the advantage of a DOF preview. An ultrasonic motor is very useful on a camera without a motor in the body (Nikon D40X) if you want to use AF instead of manual focus. This is the main reason I was thinking of upgrading to D80 then I could use any compatible lens and AF. It's not always practical to shoot in Manual.:shrug:

I upgraded from a D40 to a D80 and the weight difference isn't really an issue...You'll hardly notice it!

D80 is an incredible camera, I'm sure you'll love it.

I carried my D80 all round the Cairngorms, and only took my 10-20mm and 28-75mm lenses (10-20 on-camera, 28-75 in a lenswrap in my rucksack)

Hava a look at my Flickr pages for some very good reasons to take a 10-20mm hillwalking on a niceday!!

If the weight in your backpack for climbing up and down hills is an issue maybe you should spend your money on some gym equipment to build yourself up a bit. (y)

If the weight in your backpack for climbing up and down hills is an issue maybe you should spend your money on some gym equipment to build yourself up a bit. (y)

I can see from your gallery that you are not speaking from experience.:nono: Not a photo from the top of a mountain and you're only 41.:shrug:

When climbing up mountains with a litre of water(minimum), waterproof jacket, waterproof trousers, spare fleece,windproof, sandwiches, walking poles, GPS, maps, camera, lens, every extra ounce is crucial. Walking up and down an hill is a different matter to climbing and scrambling up mountains, and by the way, I am strong and fit. :bang:(y)

pano2.jpg

This was taken 1600 metres up. Ben Nevis is only 1334 metres so :razz:

Nice view, what equipment and settings did you use?

Canon 30D, 70-200 F4L @ 70mm, iso 100, 1/400th @ f13 and spot metered ( I don't know why spot but I always seem to shoot in spot mode), Manual exposure, taken on my travel tripod a Slik Spint Pro 3wayGM.

It's an 8 shot pano, that is why there is no exif data.

Canon 30D, 70-200 F4L @ 70mm, iso 100, 1/400th @ f13 and spot metered ( I don't know why spot but I always seem to shoot in spot mode), Manual exposure, taken on my travel tripod a Slik Spint Pro 3wayGM.

It's an 8 shot pano, that is why there is no exif data.

Any reason why you took an 8 shot pano instead of using a wider angled lens - just curious. I also find spot mode much better when taking pictures with very bright areas.

For your purposes I think what you have is close to ideal. A Canon 250D or 500D close up lens would give you better macro performance.

You could consider building a 'heavy' kit for when you're not climbing mountains.

For your purposes I think what you have is close to ideal. A Canon 250D or 500D close up lens would give you better macro performance.

You could consider building a 'heavy' kit for when you're not climbing mountains.
I think I've already got one:bonk:

Any reason why you took an 8 shot pano instead of using a wider angled lens - just curious. I also find spot mode much better when taking pictures with very bright areas.

Its a huge shot but this is a scaled down version for web. Here is a link to a larger shot.

8 Hot Pano

Back