What should my next lens be?

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to buy a new lens but don’t know what.

Currently have a sigma 18-35mm 1.8. Really good for portraits.

I mainly shoot people. Street style photography. Events. Headshots etc.

Any suggestions?

Budget

£200-£800

If someone asked you to take photos in a barber shop or at someone’s birthday party / baby shower what lens would you use?

Will

For portraits and even wider range of use I would suggest 70-200mm of some variant. For indoors you may wish to opt for f2.8 VR version, for the top end of your budget should get you a decent example.

If someone asked you to take photos in a barber shop or at someone’s birthday party / baby shower what lens would you use?

Maybe add a 50mm, anything longer on crop may be to long indoors.

On crop, the 18-35 you already have would be ideal. A 100(ish) f2.8 macro would complement out quite well for close ups.

A fast 50mm or 85mm would be a good addition in my opinion.

Sigma offer Art variants of both focal lengths and they're widely heralded as fantastic lenses.

Too many possibilities. An ultrawide might even come in useful in tight spaces such as barbershops, in a reportage-y kind of way where you suck the whole space into your lens.

You have an 18-35mm and must have a pretty good idea of its capabilities. I shot my sons birthday party with a 35mm f/2 (apsc) so......... A couple o years ago I did it with a 12mm f/2 (also on apsc)
BTW in the Danish press photo of the year the statistics revealed the most used lens was the 24-70 @ around 35mm setting, food for thought? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My preference is 50mm. I think it’s a ideal lens for street photography. It has the most applications of any focal and hence why they are often referred to as the “nifty fifty”, the versatile lens

Back