What shutter speed for rockets bursting in the sky?

Well finally got the film dev and the fireworks shots using the RB67 with 65mm weren't that bad but the camera angle was set wrong on the tripod...well I'll have another go late this year.

Shame about the mess up on the positioning of the camera, but I'd say you've got the setting nicely sorted looking at what we can see, to be honest I'd shoot using a wider angle lens it gives a little more room to get it right

Shame about the mess up on the positioning of the camera, but I'd say you've got the setting nicely sorted looking at what we can see, to be honest I'd shoot using a wider angle lens it gives a little more room to get it right

For 6X7 a 65mm lens is about 30mm for 35mm, next one down would be 50mm but not cheap, but some say the RB67 50mm is not as good as the 65mm so I'll pass and use one 35mm camera with 24mm and another with 19mm again.

Well new year's day was another disaster as the camera was set at the wrong angle and only two shots out of eighteen were reasonable the Chinon set to 7 secs and auto wound to the next frame worked ok..next time I'll set the Chinon with 24mm and T90 with 19 mm lenses to increase my chances of getting something better.....Haven't got around to playing around with timing in secs, h'mm this could take years to eventually get it right :eek:
The Tesco film (probably Agfa ) seemed ok for this subject.
V2hfUxW.jpg

xnAbwvG.jpg

Don't forget guys just past midnight for fireworks...got some film to use up (gold 100 iso) in my T90 and have settled for 7 secs at f5.6. As mentioned before it's a great camera for these sort of shots as I just sit by the camera on a tripod with shutter release cable and it times to 7secs and auto rewind to the next frame for 7 secs...easy peasy erm well that is if the camera is pointing in the right direction, but with a 19mm lens should cover most of the sky.

Well I was just thinking why here the Chinon CP-7m is not recommended instead of a ME super as the Chinon is far superior and cheaper too (got mine for £7)...I'm going to use the Chinon at 8 secs with auto rewind and it can use the old type shutter release cable (the T90 needs a Canon cable)...so looking forward to tonight with both cameras and am using a 24mm on the Chinon.

Thanks Nick....I've set myself up for a difficult task each year as the firework display is not in the distance but very close sometimes even above my head and you can see the rocket trails but never know when\where it's going to burst :(
I didn't post any shots this year as they were all a bit crappy as the display is better than I can get on film, it's so annoying when the whole sky is lit up above me and think I need a something like a 15mm lens (or a cine camera).
R1-09968-0024-600px.jpg

Have to agree that the good old Mk 1 eyeball is the best device for capturing fireworks! Shame the recording device's storage is getting a little unreliable.

Back