what shutter speed..not an easy question..

Edit My Images
Yes
I have been trying to film the swallows drinking in mid air (kind of skimming over the water. Thing is I thought I would need a fast shutter speed. So I chose 1/1000. I know lifelike film is around 1/50th but these guys move so quick it would all be blur :)

Any tips on what would have been better. If I were there again (or they had hung around) I would have tried 1/500th and lowered the iso .. this was at iso 800...but that is just hunch. What shutter should you use on very fast little birds? I use 1//60th for birds and wildlife nearer by but what should I chose for this type of shot.

Here is what I got. Its "ok" (caught the moment and all that) but advice gladly excepted...After all its a learning curve..

http://youtu.be/qYauQjr6oi0

al

What frame rate are you shooting at? 1/1000 certainly is too fast IMO. For slow motion I usually use 1/120 when at 60fps which is fine when slowed down to 25fps. Depending on the look I might speed it up to 1/250 but any faster than that and it doesn't look right IMO.

What frame rate are you shooting at? 1/1000 certainly is too fast IMO. For slow motion I usually use 1/120 when at 60fps which is fine when slowed down to 25fps. Depending on the look I might speed it up to 1/250 but any faster than that and it doesn't look right IMO.

Thanks I was shooting 60fps 1/1000th.
1/250th certainly would have given me more leeway for iso etc. I think you're right it doesn't look fluid enough...
thanks
al

As with most things just try different settings, get them on screen and see which works best. As you say its a learning curve :)

Back