What size Macro to get

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys I'm looking at getting a macro lens but what size to get is the big question. I know its like asking how long is a bit of string but I see a lot of guys on here have macro lenses and i would like to know the size you use.

I have a list I'm looking at getting
50/60/70MM OR 90/100/105mm

Sigma 50mm £144 Filter Diameter 55mm
Sigma 70mm £230 Filter Diameter 62mm
sigma 105mm £200 Filter Diameter 58mm

Canon 60mm £214 Filter Diameter 52mm
Canon 100mm £270 Filter Diameter 58mm

Tamron 90mm £190 Filter Diameter 55mm

Looking at it like this i think I'm looking at sigma or Tamron as i would be getting more lens for the money. But still good to ask what you guys have and use pros and cons. As you can tell i no nothing of macro lenses but know i realy like the look of the stuff you can do with them

Well if it's bugs and bees knees you want to shoot, then there are real advantages in a longer focal length which gives you a greater working distance from your subjects and is less likely to scare them off.

I'd advise anything from 90mm upwards, longer if you can, depending what you want to spend.

Hi CT thanks for getting back to me about this. I'm in to camps the first is the above i wont to take photos of bugs and so on. But i all so wont to be able to take photos of water drop's and arty stuff like that you know up close type thing. So do you think I'm looking at at lest 2 macro lenses then to be able to do this. ?

Hell no -all those lenses will cope with all that. They're also very useable over their whole focusing range. In other words a 100mm macro is also a 100mm mid range tele lens.

Very efficient, very cheap way to get closer. The only problem with extension tubes is that they increase the distance of the lens from the sensor and as that distance increases (the more tubes you use) light intensity falls off and you need to increase exposure.

I used them for aq yonks on my old Canon AE1 and managed to take some fantastic pics with enormous magnification. Pinheads and fly heads and stuff like that. Spectacular they were.

And you are right about the exposure. A tripod, a bloody big Bowens Mono Lite and a few Lastolites was a must. Good fun though.

I just got the Sigma 105mm. I was going to get the Tamron 90 but read a lot of reviews that raved over the Sigma ( and mine was cheaper) . First impression is that it is tack sharp at any distance and really nice to use. Just waiting for the rain to stop and the bugs to come out.
Allan

I think you'd be better starting at a focal length around the 100/105 mark....maybe the 150. The shorter FL macros need you to get a bit closer to your subject and, as CT stated, risk scaring some of them away. The other advantage of a slightly longer working distance is that you stand less chance of shading the subject....important if you don't want the cost of a macro flash
Whatever you choose, the lens will be sharp...all macro lenses from the big manufacturers are.
I would also advise that you factor in the cost of a set of extension tubes for added flexibility and increased magnification.

Bob

Hay thanks for all the input guys so for now i will be looking at the sigma 105mm then.

Back