What software do you use to catalogue photos?

What software do you use to catalogue photos?

• Total voters
Edit My Images
No
Interested to know what software people use to catalogue photos?

Expecting most to be Lightroom (Cloud) or Lightroom Classic. And I realise both do way more than just cataloguing. But that's the feature I'm interested in

I use Capture One.

I use Digikam for DAM, and use MariaDB rather than SQLite.

On1 Photoraw for processing.

LR Cloud for me. I like having all of my images available anywhere. I do a lot of edits on my phone now.

I don't bother. The originals are all in year/day folders and, once edited, the important stuff is in the same structure as my web site.

Other.
Photomove, and I sort by camera and then by year, that means if I find an old disc/card I can automatically take all the photos from it and put them in the right place.

That is all the organising I have found I need

LR Classic.
It transfers the files from the SD card to my PC, automatically filing them in Year/Date folders, and at the same time adds them to it's own catalogue with any keywords I want, and in any collection I want.

Other: Digikam for cataloguing combined with multiple processing tools.

None.

My images are simply filed in folders by year and I rename the files to describe the image well enough to find it again. There are roughly 175,000 digital images on my disks at the moment and this works well enough for my needs...

Screenshot 2023-10-23 103128.png

Capture One for me, it is also an excellent Raw converter with loads of tools for fine tweaking.

LR Classic for me. I've trialled Capture 1, On1, Luminar, Exposure X5 and DxO Photolab in a strong and sincere desire to get away from Adobe's sub. Sadly they all fall apart in some way with asset management. Editing side, they're all great, but when it comes to managing and finding photos, they fall down. LR has smart collections, excellent keywording tools, and easy to use customisable filters that allow you to find things easily as well as great sorting options for those who don't have a completely "digital" library (i.e. some images don't have exif data)

Digikam.

However, I've recently been playing with XN View. It doesn't *look* very slick, but it works like greased lightening. I need to explore it's catalogueing a bit more, but I might be migrating to it. It also works well to download the images from my camera.

Lightroom Classic I too have thought about an alternative to Adobe but the built in Cataloguing keeps me paying.

I don't subscribe to Lightroom, have a standard folder system. But would be tempted to use a non-subscription version just for cataloguing, which I think is possible

I could never get to grips with Lightroom Catalog as it made little sense to me, so used Bridge instead. Everything is filed in descriptive folders, so easy to find. Nowadays, I mainly use Faststone Image Viewer to browse, rename etc. It's very quick

I could never get to grips with Lightroom Catalog as it made little sense to me, so used Bridge instead. Everything is filed in descriptive folders, so easy to find. Nowadays, I mainly use Faststone Image Viewer to browse, rename etc. It's very quick
The folder structure in Lr is exactly the same as the folder structure on your computers hard drive.

Back