What sort of bag for LF film kit?

lindsay

Admin
Name
Lindsay
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm struggling to find the right sort of bag to carry LF kit around in. Whether it's my Chroma Snapshot or now Intrepid 4x5, I need a bag to carry the camera, some film holders, loupe, dark-cloth, meterand a couple of lenses on lens boards. I habn't got anything very suitable at present, as the rucksack type bags don't really work for this, and my Hadley Small is too small. I'm thinking a satchel-style bag but big enough for all that kit. What do other LF aficionados use?

I can fit most of my lightweight LF kit (Intrepid 4x5, lens, 3x film holders, loupe, lightmeter, darkcloth, cable releases) into a Domke F2. I usually just carry my tripod by hand.

I much prefer using a backpack though, I have a Lowepro Protactic 450AW II for that although I use a Mindshift Firstlight 40L for my 8x10 kit. The Mindshift is more comfortable than the Lowepro despite holding a much bigger camera so I would buy the smaller version of that for my 5x4 kit if I were starting over.

If you have a rucksack type bag I'd also look into buying a Tenba BYOB insert, the BYOB 10 will hold a Intrepid 4x5 and a lens easily. It's not as convenient to take the camera out but LF isn't a fast process anyway.

Last edited:
It's an older design, but I use a Lowepro Trim Trekker with the bottom slideout section holding 3 LF lenses on boards. Bear in mind that my Ebony RSW45 is compact for a 5x4, but it's wrapped in the darkcloth and there's room alongside for a spotmeter. The front pocket will take a couple of darkslides, maybe 3, and there's a zipped section in the lid of the bag for the cable release and possibly a filter. There's one on ebay at £29 if that's of interest.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I've bought the Trim Trekker on ebay. If that doesn't suit me, I'll follow up on the Domke. Cheers both.

I use a backpack camera bag bought years ago. It has two sections, which separate with a zip to gain access to the lower (fitted) part which can hold either extra lenses for LF or a Mamiya RZ67. The camera goes in the top section with the focusing cloth. Side pockets take a lens spanner. Tripod is either strapped to the bag or carried in my hand if on site.

Exposure meters, filters, film holders etc. all fit into pockets in my Billingham waistcoat.

So, the Lowepro TrimTrek from ebay arrived yesterday. In good condition considering Used, I loaded up the lenses in the bottom part, darkcloth wrapped around the 4x5 fits into half of the top section, leaving space for a number of film holders (I have 4 doubles, there's room for several more I estimate). Meter (Weston) goes around my neck on some string although I'm testing an app on my iphone which might be an alternative; loupe and shutter cable in the front pouch. So it looks like I'm sorted for this outfit. Thanks to @Peter B for pointing me to this solution.

So, the Lowepro TrimTrek from ebay arrived yesterday. In good condition considering Used, I loaded up the lenses in the bottom part, darkcloth wrapped around the 4x5 fits into half of the top section, leaving space for a number of film holders (I have 4 doubles, there's room for several more I estimate). Meter (Weston) goes around my neck on some string although I'm testing an app on my iphone which might be an alternative; loupe and shutter cable in the front pouch. So it looks like I'm sorted for this outfit. Thanks to @Peter B for pointing me to this solution.
@lindsay what is the litre capacity of that backpack? I'm trying to get an idea of what to look for and you have a similar amount of gear as me.

Cheers.

@moggi1964 I have no idea, it doesn't say on the bag anywhere that I've noticed. I can only describe the capacity in terms of what I've been able to load into it without squeezing anything. What else might you want to put in it, I'll see if I think it might fit?

@moggi1964 I have no idea, it doesn't say on the bag anywhere that I've noticed. I can only describe the capacity in terms of what I've been able to load into it without squeezing anything. What else might you want to put in it, I'll see if I think it might fit?
No worries, thanks for checking. I would basically have the same as you so no more needed really, it just seems when I'm searching bags it is always a litre measurement.

I'll keep looking. Cheers.

Back