Beginner What sort of light arrangement is used in this photograph?

Edit My Images
Yes
This photo has been taken with a Nikon D40. Information from exif:

http://www.ringlovers.com/UV/UV-532-1.jpg

F-stop f/5.6
Exposure time 1/500 sec
ISO speed ISO-200
Exposure bias +0.3 step
Focal length 55 mm
Max aperture 5
Metering mode Pattern
Flash mode Flash,auto,strobe return
35mm focal length 82

I can see 6 bulbs - 3 on either side - in the reflection. Does anyone know more about this arrangement? Are the bulbs always on or do they work as a flash?
Is a separate flash also in use here, along with the bulbs?

Staff Edit: Please do not post pictures that are not yours, instead provide a link to its original location. Thankyou

Last edited:
I'm no lighting expert but they look like energy efficient light bulbs to me and then direct flash in the middle.

Not really the optimum lighting solution for product photography really...

edit: in fact with my monitor brightness turned up you can see they are some sort of Angle-poise lamps.

Last edited:
I'm no lighting expert but they look like energy efficient light bulbs to me and then direct flash in the middle.

Not really the optimum lighting solution for product photography really...

edit: in fact with my monitor brightness turned up you can see they are some sort of Angle-poise lamps.
What Ned said.
Frankly it's awful.
Lighting an object should enhance it, to show it's properties.

The central gem has become a reflector for a bunch badly positioned lights.

Ask yourself; do you want the object to be the subject or some random blobs of light?

Just a quick question of ethics if you don't mind? Can I assume this not your image ? If not do you have permission to use it and publish it here ?

If the answer is no then you shouldn't be publishing it here unless it is a copywrite free image.

Anyway to answer your question wouldn't it be best acutely asking the photographer concerned ? Most people are fairly open to discussing techniques etc but I concur with the above comment.

Last edited:
Sorry - I am new to this. From now on, I shall post a link to the images.
The link is :

http://www.ringlovers.com/UV/UV-532-1.jpg

I thought this may be some sort of standard way to light jewellery. I selected the image because it shows the lights in the reflection.

Here is another image without the reflections. It shows all the details and colours quite well - in my opinion.

http://www.ringlovers.com/PAZ/PAZ-547-1.jpg

I use 23 watt energy saver bulbs, which are rated as 1500 lumen. All my photos end with a nasty dark lemon yellow tint.
What kind of bulb is recommended to achieve result like the photos above?

I use 23 watt energy saver bulbs, which are rated as 1500 lumen. All my photos end with a nasty dark lemon yellow tint.
What kind of bulb is recommended to achieve result like the photos above?

I'm no lighting expert but they look like energy efficient light bulbs to me and then direct flash in the middle
That^ daylight balanced (you can tell they're daylight balanced because they're the same colour as the flash).

But seriously, have a look at the link I posted and you'll understand why the shots are so bad.

Thanks Phil V, Reading through your link now.
Also shall get hold of a copy of the book you suggested - Light Science and Magic 4/e: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting .

I guess there is no short cut to get decent pictures.

Thanks Phil V, Reading through your link now.
Also shall get hold of a copy of the book you suggested - Light Science and Magic 4/e: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting .

I guess there is no short cut to get decent pictures.
I've been trying for 30 years... and by my reckoning I've shot a handful of 'decent pictures', some people would say not that many. :(

Back