What sport would you most like to photograph??

Edit My Images
Yes
I think one of the appeals of Sports Photography is that there is an endless choice and variety of sports out there to capture.. and each presents a different challenge and also gives different rewards....

So I was thinking, two different questions really....

- What sport would you most like to photograph (by this I mean a sport that you haven't covered yet) - would it be Swamp Football, Mongolian Wrestling, Chess, Wife Carrying, Handball ...
And why??

- And then a bit more detailed ... if you could get accreditation to cover ANY event in the World... which one would you choose??

Personally... I would like to really go back and cover some Finnish Baseball ... I took some photos of that when I was a kid, with my Dad's Olympus SLR (only given one 36 frame roll per game!).
So it would be something of a nostalgia trip down the memory lane...

As for an event ... being someone who's work is 80% covering basketball, I wouldn't mind the Olympic Final in basketball (was lucky enough to cover the 2012 Final in London) ...

Now.. let's see what strange sports appear on the lists... :)

Boxing for me everyday or the week.

No doubt is the same, no one knows that will happen next and the next punch could be the last one. Always have to be on your toes

I've been fortunate enough to cover some big fights and great fight nights and being so close to the action is something you don't always get in other sports

All sorts of odd stuff over here to snap. Irish Road Bowling and Poc Fada to name a couple. But would love to get into some surfing photography. Some of the scenery on the coast here is incredible, add in some waves and you're away.

You obviously have not watched it

Actually I have, usually as a subjunct to UK NFL coverage.

Any women's sport that has to dress its participants in titillating costumes in order to get an audience is pretty repellent in my view. The sport should speak for itself.

Last edited:
I usually photograph football and rugby but after taking photos at an OCR event on Saturday, would love to do more of that. It was a lot of fun. Also, wouldn't mind to try extreme winter sports as I'm unable to take part in them myself, I'd like to live vicariously through the competitors :D

And of course, if there was a male version of lingerie football, I'd be up for that haha

I really fancy doing a full season of F1 with full access to everything and no deadlines or pressure to file images in a timely manner. I suspect it might get a bit boring after a while but that would just force the creative brain into action.

Top Fuel NHRA drag racing looks amusing especially when they go boom.

I'd love to shoot those proper crazy climbers. That would entail being able to climb though and I don't like heights much.

Lastly, I imagine Red Bull staff photographer would be a cool job to have.

I'd like to do similar but full access MotoGP

Aussie Rules Football, mind you not too sure what lens you would need to cover the pitch.

Reno Unlimited, the opportunity to watch with flight line access would be one of the few things that might tempt me to visit the US.

Crown Green Bowling.
Really get to test the Servo and motor drive out.

Winter X-Games would be fun, but to be honest, anything and everything.

It makes me a little sad that there are probably loads of small, unique, photogenic events happening up and down the country every weekend where the organisers and competitors would love a bit of coverage (but couldn't afford a pro), and equally plenty of enthusiastic guys and gals with kit looking to get out and shoot something that isn't going to cost them money, but no easy way of marrying the two up.

I appreciate you'd get into iffy territory with professionals vs enthusiastic amateurs working for free etc, but there is so much stuff that is completely outside the scope of paying pros which would still be awesome to shoot.

I ran a bonkers 10k trail race yesterday, some awesome photographic possibilities in the woods, sliding down muddy hills etc, yet they had one guy taking pictures as people left the car park at the start!

Last edited:
I like the idea of photographing polo - lots of variation in composition and horses running at full pelt are always pretty photogenic

I do Non League Football for Dorchester Town Football Club, in the Southern Premier League, Very rarely i am able to do Dorchester Rugby Club & Dorchester Cricket Club both around County standard also Weymouth Beach Motor X plus i was able to do the last 3 home games for the Jurassic Coast Raptors American Football Team. so i would like to do something different, perhaps Isle of Man TT F1 Moto GP or a big 3 day Eventing (Horses) Competition. maybe sneak the NFL Super Bowl if possible

The Tour de France form the back of one of those motorcycles that follow the race for 3 weeks, especially the mountain stages..

Me as well, I have taken loads of random shots of track events and the Tour of Britain, but I would like to be within 5K of the finish at Ventoux, Hautacam or the Alpe D'Huez.

I really fancy doing a full season of F1 with full access to everything and no deadlines or pressure to file images in a timely manner. I suspect it might get a bit boring after a while but that would just force the creative brain into action.

Top Fuel NHRA drag racing looks amusing especially when they go boom.

I'd love to shoot those proper crazy climbers. That would entail being able to climb though and I don't like heights much.

Lastly, I imagine Red Bull staff photographer would be a cool job to have.

I'm shooting Abu Dhabi F1 again this year, for the third time, and that's enough for me. Motorsport is my life but I don't think I could shoot a season of F1. Too many arseholes (photographers) out. It's every man for themselves and I think it can really ruin someone's soul.

I'd love to shoot any sport but It's finding how to get into it. Many venues are sewn up by resident photographers, horse events come to mind. I'm a cyclist myself and I have raced in the past but I find most cyclists don't like to spend money on shots of themselves so I gave up cycle events. Even though I knew a lot about the sport and got the good shots people just tried to get the images free, one guy even said to my face that he tried to grab the shots off my website but he couldn't download them. I don't have a web site now.
I fancy shooting sailing or maybe surfing, I do have the lenses to do it but have never really done anything about trying It would be nice to sell a few shots but unfortunately I'm no business man.

Any advice or experience anyone would like to share on how to get into sport imaging would be welcome.

Hmm... I think I would love being at an Olympics doing the judo ( my first sport) or anything really... Loved being a spectator. Wimbledon would be great too.

I'd love to shoot any sport but It's finding how to get into it. Many venues are sewn up by resident photographers, horse events come to mind. I'm a cyclist myself and I have raced in the past but I find most cyclists don't like to spend money on shots of themselves so I gave up cycle events. Even though I knew a lot about the sport and got the good shots people just tried to get the images free, one guy even said to my face that he tried to grab the shots off my website but he couldn't download them. I don't have a web site now.
I fancy shooting sailing or maybe surfing, I do have the lenses to do it but have never really done anything about trying It would be nice to sell a few shots but unfortunately I'm no business man.

Any advice or experience anyone would like to share on how to get into sport imaging would be welcome.
It is difficult as to get in a top flight sport you need to show competence. But to get competence you need experience and to get that you need to shoot. and so the cycle goes. The best is to get in at a certain level then work your way up where you can show what you can do. However that comes with another issue. When you start at grass roots the is little money for investing in media so people expect to be able to use your images for free. Then when you progress up to pro level the expectation is that because you used to do it for free you still do...

Chess or checkers on a cold yet bright day in a main city park full of old and interesting people.

If that wild idea is too much then I'd also have a look to photographing a BASE jump.. one that I was doing myself for the ultimate in first person perspective (falling with style).

Boxing, boxing and all the way boxing, as I enjoy it more then anything.

Having photographed over 50 different sports then there isn't a lot left... Horse race over fences would be good...and I presume possible one day... maybe not so possible though is Bull fights.. would love to photo that... Not much call for Rodeo in lancashire either but I bet thats good to photo..

AFAIK, there's only one proper Rodeo in the UK and that's held in S. Wales. I shot it a couple of years ago. Best advice - go to Calgary! :D

AFAIK, there's only one proper Rodeo in the UK and that's held in S. Wales. I shot it a couple of years ago. Best advice - go to Calgary! :D

Calgary.. never been on a plane.. never will.... wales is doable though.. any more info ? :)

Back