What tablets are good?

The hudl wont upgrade the os. What you buy You're stuck with.

The Hudl won't upgrade to kitkat due to compatibility issues , the hudl2 which is due out later this month or possibly October will ship with either kitkat , or lollipop (if the latter is out by then) and will be upgradeable going forward. Theres also a Hudl phone in the works apparently

I have a 2013 Nexus 7 which is mainly used for Kindle, The Times and a bit of web browsing. Not really anything else worth doing on it as the Android tablet app ecosystem is almost uniformally terrible. Then a Surface Pro for getting anything productive done. Moan about Windows 8 all you like, the Windows Store apps are a real pleasure to use compared to the nasty scaled-up mobile phone apps you get on Android.

That said, I don't think apps have a particularly long lifespan once the world finally ratifies a HTML5 standard.

Hmm. The new Kindle Phone is actually making me look seriously at an all-Kindle combo.

Not really anything else worth doing on it as the Android tablet app ecosystem is almost uniformally terrible.

ipads are well built and seem to last, but iOs is truly terrible - sort of makes you feel demented and incapacitated.

And here is why these kind of threads shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's all subjective isn't it? One person says iOS is terrible, I think it's great. Who's right?

So........

1. If I have an iPhone, buy an iPad
2. If I have a PS4, get a Sony
3. If funds are limited, get a Hudl
4. Otherwise take my pick from Nexus/Samsung

Is that a fair summary?

Do you already have any cash invested in either apple or android app stores?
Worth factoring in...

And here is why these kind of threads shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's all subjective isn't it? One person says iOS is terrible, I think it's great. Who's right?

Exactly, I have long since ceased to dish out advice when friends/family ask about technology. Computers/phones/tablets, they are all much of a muchness these days. The 'app' walled garden is doomed to fall once HTML (or in an ideal world, a proper universal application framework with a typed language, sadly we are probably stuck with HTML/JS), and then it really won't matter which operating system you have.

Think you'll find it's usually the wife :)

Do you already have any cash invested in either apple or android app stores?
Worth factoring in...

I've spent money in both. Most recently (for the last 2 years) it's been all Android. But I've probably spent more in total at the Apple app store.

I recently got a Samsung tab s 8.4 and have to say it's a major improvement on any other tablet I've used to date. Only problem is that it only has 16gb internal memory but has the ability and up to 128gb via micro sd slot. Screen is fantastic and speed of start up and use has yet to be rivaled.

I've been using an LG G Pad 8.3 (8.3" display) since last December. It does all I need it too and prices have dropped over the months since I got mine. If I was in the market to buy now, which I'm not, then I'd be looking at a Samsung Tab S 8.4" (used as I am to Note and Note 3 smartphones), or maybe the new Nexus when it surfaces.

I also have a Dell XPS 11 transformable laptop/tablet. It's great for what I want, which is mostly a light, compact high resolution (2560x1440) laptop, but I think Windows is not the right choice for a tablet so I rarely use it in that mode. Buying today I would probably get a Surface Pro 3 for something in the 11-12" range, but I'd want the "type" keyboard with it. For the 8" class I'd stick with Android.

EDIT : Brand new Tab S 8.4 review here - http://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-S-8-4-Tablet-Review.125600.0.html

Last edited:
Interesting review. AMOLED screens look very punchy but my current Samsung (an S3 phone so somewhat behind current tech) has rather cartoony colours. Everything looks like I've rammed the vibrance up. Is this common on Samsungs or is it just the S3?

Out of the box Samsungs can look a bit lively, much like TV sets vying for attention in a showroom. I can't speak for the latest tablets, but Samsung usually provides some options for toning things down. Here are the options on my Note 3....

2014-09-09%252015.18.09.jpg

Thanks - just found that setting on my Galaxy. "Professional photo" is better in the shadows but it's still pretty saturated.

As long as you stay away from Apple you won't feel ripped off and resitricted to ios & itunes :runaway:

Best don the ol hard hat now :rage:

As long as you stay away from Apple you won't feel ripped off and resitricted to ios & itunes :runaway:

To be fair, whatever tablet you choose you are going to run the O/S that it comes with. Sure, some of them can be upgraded, but it's not like you can buy an Android and say "ooo, I feel like running Windows 8 today". So an Android tab is "restricted" to Android, a Surface to Win etc.

But yeah, as a hard core, die hard Apple fan, iTunes is laughable. Especially on the Mac - it's sad and silly that it works better on a PC. And that iPhones interact with PCs better than they do with Macs. But that's a whole other thread ;)

I wonder if you can hack an android tablet to run ios ? (like you can a pc to run mac if you want) - however i think discussion of that is probably frowned upon

I wonder if you can hack an android tablet to run ios ? (like you can a pc to run mac if you want) - however i think discussion of that is probably frowned upon

I think some has got osx partly working on the windows tab.

The 2013 N7 is a world apart from the original N7 (2012 model). Very fast and a great screen. I have one now and love it, (my old '12 N7 is being used by my wife) and we've just picked up another '13 N7 for my daughter from Argos. 16GB version, £170 but with £30 worth of vouchers in return so a bit of a bargain.

The next Nexus tablet is rumoured to be from HTC and around the 9" mark. Probably announced very soon.

just seen the the hudl2 on show in the local Tesco shop for £129 from 2morrow

Back