what TLR cameras meter ?

Off the top of my head, the Yashica EM, Yashica Mat 124 and 124G all meter. Rollei's after a certain age do, but I'm not clued up on numbers. A lot of people tend to just use a handheld meter.

I don't think any of the TLR have a spot meter.

As freecom2 says the Yashicas are a good place to start the 124G has a meter and if you look around can be had for less than £200

I have a 124G and I find the meter to work very well on it.

Another vote here for a decent external meter to be honest. That way it will work with whatever wierd and wonderful camera you end up with as a result of reading the threads in here. I'm currently keeping an eye out for a used 1-degree finder for my Sekonic L358, which would make me very happy indeed.

Another vote here for a decent external meter to be honest. That way it will work with whatever wierd and wonderful camera you end up with as a result of reading the threads in here. I'm currently keeping an eye out for a used 1-degree finder for my Sekonic L358, which would make me very happy indeed.

I've been pricing up spot meters, from what I can see the L358 and the accessory 1-degree finder seems to be the most affordable route to a spot meter, or is there anything of better value I've missed?

The L358 is probable the best value but if your just after a Spot Meter then keep an eye out for the Minolta Spot Meter IV.

Well - I already have the base L358 as my flash-meter, so getting the 1 deg spot add on is a no-brainer for me tbh.

Bit confused basically found a Rolleicord TLR F2.8GX but its £3k, are there any others that are manual focus but will spot meter so i dont have to work out how long to expose for in my head ?

The Rollei has a centre-weighted meter, but not a spot meter.

There is a website that appears to be supplying an adapted Kiev 88 spot meter prism for a Mamiya C330 TLR. But you're looking at near-enough the same price as a hand-held spotmeter*.

Edit:
* And you'd still be manually transferring the meter readings to the camera anyway.

Last edited:
The Yashica Mat 124 G has an in-built meter, but so many people complain about inaccuracy and a lot of them no longer work at all that it's really hit-or-miss. And as people have mentioned, it's not a spot meter it's just centre weighted.

You could luck out and get one that works absolutely perfectly though, which I happened to do with my 124 G. That is, until last weekend when it started to malfunction in a way I've never seen one do before...

You can buy accurate and small spot meters for around £5-10, it's not much of an inconvenience to carry one around your neck/in your pocket as they don't tend to weigh much either.

You can buy accurate and small spot meters for around £5-10, it's not much of an inconvenience to carry one around your neck/in your pocket as they don't tend to weigh much either.

Please tell me where! :eek:

I bought a Jonan Elite meter from a second-hand shop in Brighton called North Laine Antique and Flea Market for £5, not sure whether it's 1 degree but it's "spot" enough to count, and it has incident metering ability too. Plus it's dead-on accurate, which to be honest I was very surprised at. They had a number of different meters in there, including a couple of Weston Masters for £15-25 :)

I've also seen old Vivitar meters and the like on ebay for similar prices.

edit: After looking around online to try and find things out about the Jonan Elite it turns out the Vivitar 43 is exactly the same meter...

Last edited:
I have a Polaris with a spot meter attachment for it, I don't remember it being very expensive either.

I think i just meant "meter accuratly" rather than "spot meter" !

Basically the idea of the rollei is that i can get up close and personal within street photography but because im looking down people wont know im shooting them. Messing around with a handheld meter like a sekonic will ruin this deception.

Certainly the meter on the Yashicamat is extremely difficult to read if you don't have perfect eyesight....

I suspect others may be similar.

A decent handheld meter should give you a good reading and if the light changes, a quick check will tell you thatr you need to modify and by how much

Certainly the meter on the Yashicamat is extremely difficult to read if you don't have perfect eyesight....

I dunno. Mine's perfectly easy to use and I wear glasses. It's close enough to my L-358 most of the time, thankfully.

However, I'd definitely go with a separate meter. As TheBigYin said, you can then use it with any camera.

Back