What to ask for when i turn 50

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No
I turn 50 later this year and i'd like to ask the family to get me a body and lens.

My thoughts are for a nikon d7100 as it's a proven good 'un, lens wise not so sure.

I'm just a hobbyist and although i'm a birder,i find trying to 'reach' birds and getting a good shot difficult, so i'm thinking of a good mid range zoom.

I have a d3200 atm and have just came up from bridge.

Reckon on budget of £1k tops.

Can i have your thoughts an opinions please?

Last edited:
Seem to be plenty around £500 used?

oops, see what you mean, maybe it's 80 i'm turning, lol

Last edited:
Seem to be plenty around £500 used?

Which is a whole £499 more than £1 :D

It's a bit difficult to make recommendations without knowing your intentions for the kit. If you want to do birding then you'd be wanting to spend the majority of your budget (presumably £1k not £1) on a lens and use your current body. If it were for general shooting then you'd be looking at something different.

If you want to do birding then you'd be wanting to spend the majority of your budget (presumably £1k not £1) on a lens and use your current body.

This QFT ^

Bodies come and go, lenses, like taxes, are forever.

Oh the aches and pains have been here for a time already.

I quite like landscape shots and portraits (in that they're easier to get a satisfactory sharp image) and i'd like to get some good candid images of when me and the guys and ladies get together at bushcraft meets.

I've been up and down the ladder of expensive optics and camping gear and don't want to do the same with my photography hobby as i know that the most expensive and new doesn't equate to satisfaction in the end.

I seem to have a feeling for the d7100 and it's not overly expensive, as time goes by i may upgrade the body, same with a lens i suppose but i want to keep it real, i've seen many with exp' bodies and lenses taking images that quite frankly i've bettered when hand holding a wee digital to my scope.

I really want to just enjoy a decent body and lens, i know i'll never attain the level of most on the forum but if i can capture images to my liking then i'll be happy.

I intend to keep the d3200 when the time comes, it's not doing anything wrong and it's always good to have a back up tool.

Your own or....?

by eck I wish i was fifty again and know what I know now :)

wish i were 18 and know what i know now...

wooosh

Just a thought... Given that you may upgrade at some point in the future you might wish to consider making any lens purchase an FX lens. That way if in four or five years time you go to FX, then you wan't have to make an expensive upgrade on your lenses.

Back