What to bring... what to bring... (wedding *gleep* advice thread)

sunnyside_up

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Bethy
Edit My Images
No
At the risk of being totally crucified, I just want some quick advice on what YOU would use for tomorrow's wedding... that I'm doing... *gleep*

Some of you may know me as a portrait photographer, but for the most part, in studio. I like the control. So I'm not completely new the whole idea of shooting people. I know what I like, I normally know how to get it.

Anyway, I digress...

I have a plethora of kit (I'm specifically talking about lens choice here) I can take with me tomorrow, but would prefer not to. I'm using 2 bodies, 5DII & 6D, but would not like to be taking anymore than 4 lens' with me, 2 on bodies, 2 for ... well, for whatever.

So if you were me and had these choices, what would you take?

Sigma Art 35 1.4
Canon 50 1.4
Canon 100 macro 2.8
Sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6
Canon 24-70L 2.8
Canon 70-200L 2.8

If you took 4, what would they be?

Thanks in advance. :)

Are you asking as a Guest or their Pro ???

Guest - I'd take a smile :)

Pro - 24-70 - 35 - 50 - 100 (I sold my 70-200 in favour of an 85, best decision in AGES)

Dave

Call me the Pro then :) I'm shooting it... I've done one before, but I don't like to talk about that lol.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your input. :)

So if you were me and had these choices, what would you take?

That depends. Full frame or crop, and how many bodies will you have in use at the same time?

And are you thinking in terms of mainly posed/directed snaps, or mainly documentary/fly on the wall/reportage/ Reportidge™ ?

That depends. Full frame or crop, and how many bodies will you have in use at the same time?

And are you thinking in terms of mainly posed/directed snaps, or mainly documentary/fly on the wall/reportage/ Reportidge™ ?
Both are full frame - 5DII and 6D, in use at the same time.
A few posed, such as has been listed on the shot list of specific groups ect, but lots of documentary.

What are you worrying about? You're gonna nail it so chill.

24-70
70-200

The macro for the close up ring shot and if it's not a slow ass lens to focus then I'd probably use that at the evening reception. Are you doing prep too? If so then go with the 35/100.

What are you worrying about? You're gonna nail it so chill.

24-70
70-200

The macro for the close up ring shot and if it's not a slow ass lens to focus then I'd probably use that at the evening reception. Are you doing prep too? If so then go with the 35/100.
Thanks dude. Actually got the ring shot already lol when i went round to check things out. :)

Both are full frame - 5DII and 6D, in use at the same time.
A few posed, such as has been listed on the shot list of specific groups ect, but lots of documentary.

In which case I'd do the whole thing with the 24-70 and the 70-200. I wouldn't even take the 100 macro, because AFAIC the only use for it at a wedding would be for The Ring(s) Shot, and stuff that for a lark. I'd also leave the 12-24 at home: I can't imagine what use that would be on full frame at a wedding.

I guess I'd take the 35/1.4 if it focusses quickly, simply to have something to use if I was still pushed for shutter speed at ISO6400.

Take lots of pictures, don't be scared of rattling a few off in quick succession if things are happening really quickly, and watch your backgrounds. After that, just eat and drink when you can, pee when you can, and have fun. Nobody's ever died of wedding photos :)

In which case I'd do the whole thing with the 24-70 and the 70-200. I wouldn't even take the 100 macro, because AFAIC the only use for it at a wedding would be for The Ring(s) Shot, and stuff that for a lark. I'd also leave the 12-24 at home: I can't imagine what use that would be on full frame at a wedding.

I guess I'd take the 35/1.4 if it focusses quickly, simply to have something to use if I was still pushed for shutter speed at ISO6400.

Take lots of pictures, don't be scared of rattling a few off in quick succession if things are happening really quickly, and watch your backgrounds. After that, just eat and drink when you can, pee when you can, and have fun. Nobody's ever died of wedding photos :)
Thanks Dan. Great advice. :)

I recently shot my first wedding and used a 35, 85 and 105 macro. I used the 35 and 85 (on a pair of bodies) for 99% of my shots and apart from wishing I had a 24-70 for the prep in the hotel room, it seemed to work out just fine.

Best of luck.

Bethy, Ann says if you have the 70-200 on one body for long, don't hang the strap round your neck. Apart from not being at all cool, that is guaranteed to give you an horrendous aching neck next day.

Can't help with your query but I hadn't heard 'gleep' before so looked it up in Google and found.....

"Urban Dictionary: Gleep

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gleep
Gleep. When you take a dump in a bathtub. Then you roll around in it. That gleeper didn't wash off well enough. He had a little poop stain on his hair and I found ..."

:exit:

Can't help with your query but I hadn't heard 'gleep' before so looked it up in Google and found.....

"Urban Dictionary: Gleep

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gleep
Gleep. When you take a dump in a bathtub. Then you roll around in it. That gleeper didn't wash off well enough. He had a little poop stain on his hair and I found ..."

:exit:
I always used it as a replacement for 'holy crap, yikes, what have I got myself into' kind of statement.:wideyed:

I got stuck in, I had fun. But I ache. But it's all good! :)

I've managed to be old and unfit and do weddings OK - right until this year, I really need to get fitter before next wedding season, I just need a plan. And someone to do the exercise for me, and to find a way to drink beer without the calories being ingested.

Is this the start of Sunnyside Up Wedding photography?!?

Did you get a new camera for the wedding? What lenses did you decide on in the end?

S x

Is this the start of Sunnyside Up Wedding photography?!?

Did you get a new camera for the wedding? What lenses did you decide on in the end?

S x
I borrowed the 6D from work for my second body. I actually used the 35mm and the 24-70 for the prep, service (what I was allowed to photograph), group photos and bride & groom, then swapped over the 35 for the 70-200 for the reception. If I do it again, I'd probably do exactly the same. Worked a treat.

I borrowed the 6D from work for my second body. I actually used the 35mm and the 24-70 for the prep, service (what I was allowed to photograph), group photos and bride & groom, then swapped over the 35 for the 70-200 for the reception. If I do it again, I'd probably do exactly the same. Worked a treat.

So more weddings do you think??

I've just seen this, Beth, but I'm sure you did fantastically. You have a great eye for a moment and appear to have good social skills, as well as a very consistent output. The advice in the thread was great too. :)

Back