What to buy?

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone. :wave:

I am hopefully going to get my 1st DSLR this weekend :woot:and have been reccomended the Canon 1000D by a friend.
He did suggest the 450D but Id like something a bit cheaper to start off with.

I just wondered if anyone else had any info on other good cameras so i can look at a few and then decide.

I am a total noob to all this. So any help would be great:help:

Thanks xx

Welcome to the forum.

I know you've been shown the 1000D, but it would be helpful to know your budget so we can inform you a bit better.

i wouldnt wanna spend more than £350 for the camera really.

this is prob a stupid question but will they all do pretty much the same things? i can get the same shots from them all...depending on my skills obviously lol

Hi and welcome:)

the important thing is not to get brand fixated. go th a few shops and handle the differnet models to see which fit your hands mst comfortably. This includes the button/wheel layouts.

All of the cameras will take good shots only you can make them great.

As FITP says there are some good sony deals around at the moment including a camera and 2 lens for £399.

Go look and if you have questions you'll get the answers here..

this is prob a stupid question but will they all do pretty much the same things? i can get the same shots from them all...depending on my skills obviously lol

In short, yes! But if you're always pressing the wrong button because you don't get on with the layout or something, obviously your results will suffer! Something to bear in mind is that if you're considering entry level cameras, the Nikon bodies will only autofocus on certain lenses which have a motor built into them, whereas Canon (and Sony I think?) will be able to autofocus with all AF lenses. Something to bear in mind!

In short, yes! But if you're always pressing the wrong button because you don't get on with the layout or something, obviously your results will suffer! Something to bear in mind is that if you're considering entry level cameras, the Nikon bodies will only autofocus on certain lenses which have a motor built into them, whereas Canon (and Sony I think?) will be able to autofocus with all AF lenses. Something to bear in mind!

Indeed. And, just to elaborate on that, the D40, D40x, D50 and D60 will require AF-S lenses if you want to auto-focus. Otherwise it's manual focus only.

Good luck with whatever camera you choose! Get yourself down to Jessops or somewhere similar and start playing with a few (y)

Back