WHAT TO BUY??

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times. . .

I'm looking at buying a DSLR for my girlfriend for her birthday. she's new to DSLR's. and has no idea i'm getting her one.

I have a buget of around £450 ish. I think i've got it down to either the Sony A350 or the canon 450D.
I've seen the sony for £469 with the twin kit lens 18-70 plus 55-200 lens.

I've not read great things about the kit lens. is this kit worth it? or would i be best just getting her the sony with the 18-70 kit lens and getting another zoom lens later?

Or go for the 450 D with single lens for £450? I'm pretty sure this is the better camera from what i've read.

I need to think about upgrade costs for system lens etc. so would probably look at sigma or tamron. is this right?

She's interested in wildlife, scenery and travels a lot. and also likes taking macro shots.

thanks for your help and advice in advance.

if it were me I might even go 400d http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=151244 and spend the change on glass. That all depends on whether you are happy with second hand gear though, all my gear is second hand., but otherwise the 450D is a good bet. Canon gives you moire options than sony as regards upgrades, but overall the system will work out to be a little more costly as you have identified.

Alex

Hi Mate,

Alex has actually gave you a link to the gear that i am selling. For the lens and camera combined we would be about spot on with your budget. I don't know if second hand interests you but the camera and lens are in cracking condition and obviously this lens is much higher quality than kit lenses.

Regards

Scott

I wouldn't actually buy her the camera. Holding and using a camera is a very personal thing. Thats why some like Canon and others Nikon etc.
If you get her one she is not comfortable with including using the controls she may not enjoy her photography. You would be better to perhaps get vouchers for a shop or take her into some and buy after you learn her preferences.

Buy her something you really want for yourself so you can borrow it.

thanks for your answers guys, i do like arclight's response!!

i think i defo want to buy new, thanks anyway scot and alex.

With that in mind, am i looking at the right camera's? any other suggestions?

I am thinking of taking her to a shop to choose her own but it would be nice to go with a good idea before hand.

we are planning a trip to africa in jan so safari shots will be taken. how much extra cost would the in lens IS be on the canon compared to the sony in body IS, as regards upgrades? I have looked around but with me being a complete novice its like a complete brain overload!!!!

thanks again

Back