What to do.... GAS !!

Name
Ashley
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, not a massive amount in photography terms but I have around £250 to spend on new gear... The question is what though?

My current set up is

D7100
Sigma 70-200 OS HSM 2.8
Nikon 18-70 (inc circular polariser)
Manfrotto tripod and ball head
Black Rapid Sport strap
Lowepro Holdall
Wireless trigger remote

Since I have two young children, and that I take a fair few "Indoor" shots of them a flash gun may be appropriate as I'm becoming increasingly disheartened with my body's onboard flash. I've been looking at either an SB 700 or Yungnuo 568 including remote triggers, what are your thoughts.

I'm also thinking that I'd maybe like to upgrade to a sharper, faster wide angle zoom and move my 18-70 on.

I also like shooting motorsport so may be a TC for the 70-200 would be of better use to me.

Any more ideas or thoughts on the above appreciated?

Last edited:
Hi there - you seem to have a few different needs… onboard flash aren't usually up to much. Don't know much about Nikon but I wouldn't be without my flash… depends on which one is most important.. might be diplomatic to get better pix of the kids??? Merry Christmas:D

Hi there - you seem to have a few different needs… onboard flash aren't usually up to much. Don't know much about Nikon but I wouldn't be without my flash… depends on which one is most important.. might be diplomatic to get better pix of the kids??? Merry Christmas:D

Thanks, yeah the onboard flash is just too harsh so I'm thinking a flash upgrade would be the best path to take but thought I'd add a few irons to the fire just to get people thinking....;)

Any takers on a Nikon SB-700 versus a YN 568??

Either a Flash or a Tamron 17-50 and sell off the 18-70.

Yongnuo 565EX will do the job and leave enough for the Nikon 35mm f1.8g afs lens which would make a nice indoor lens and get nice shots of the indoors

Maybe put aside enough for a light stand, bracket and brolly for your new flash - probably about £30. Maybe a 5 in one reflector too. I'm assuming you can use your d7100 in commander mode and trigger a ttl flash without needing triggers. That will give you plenty of options for portraits. Someone offered me an sb900 for £150 on my wanted ad yesterday, just has the ir cover missing. Might be a good starting point as I'm not taking it.

Last edited:
Buying the yongnuo should leave enough left for a cheap light stand, flash bracket and shoot through brolly. You can get cheap set ups on amazon for about £40. I bought a set 3 years ago and still use it, no hassles. I did have to replace the bracket that holds the flash a while back after the first cracked, but it was about £6 only.

Off-cam flash opens up a whole new world of photography for you.

Thanks for all the comments...

A flash gun with an umbrella is looking a good proposition for me.

With regards to an umbrella, are there are particluar sizes/brands etc that I should be looking at?

I would say nissin 622 flash and a 35mm 1.8. Should be around budget. Especially if looking second hand. It depends if you need ettl on your flash.

I would be looking at a nice 30/35 mm prime. You could get at used Siggy 30 f1.4 for this cash. A great all-rounder on the d7100 especially useful for indoor shots.

So, eventually I went for a Yongnuo 568 ex Speedlite which arrived yesterday. Any tips for a speedlite newbie...?

There's also the possibility that i'll be adding a wireless trigger to my kit bag very soon.

Buy the first flash proper Nikon. Buy something fairly recent and decent if not the top level. YN flashes do tend to have weird exposure calculation, but they are perfect as slaves when you expand

I would go for the tamron 17-50 or sigma 10-20 uwa ( still on my list) or how about some Lee ND Grads?

Back