What to do!!

Name
Emma-Louise
Edit My Images
Yes
OK I only got into photography in December but i've become so addicted! I did some High Key work at college with a girl i work with and since it's been on my website i've had loads friends/family willing to pay for some family shots - I've got 5 people so far wanting some High Key work and i'm wondering if i'm best just hiring a studio, or if to buy one of these home kit things? i'm completely lost with it all :D I have a faily big room at home that has a perfect area i could use backdrops and so on?

What do you all recommend?

x

Hi squidgeyem,
All (apart from 1 set) of my portrait work has been done in a friends living room with a home studio kit.
It has it's pit falls but Vs the cost of renting a studio, I'm happy with it.

Hi squidgeyem,
All (apart from 1 set) of my portrait work has been done in a friends living room with a home studio kit.
It has it's pit falls but Vs the cost of renting a studio, I'm happy with it.

What kinda kit would i need - I've got 540 in a bank account that i've earned from my photography since december :D so i kinda kept it to one side building up til i needed something new :D I've also got a crumpler bag them i'm gonna sell and a lens so hoping to have near £650/£700 what do you recommend?

and what's the pti falls?

if you can offset the cost i'd buy. You don't have to start big or expensive... sheets clamped to a curtain pole suffice, etc...

it all depends on how creative you want to be and whether a studio hire includes all the light extra's such as a beauty dish reflector etc.

The studio I use is £25 an hour. But for that I get 4000w of Bowens power, as many lights as I can shake a stick at. Enough kit to put together 2 or 3 sets so there is little changeover between them. It does have it's advantages, especially when doing full length work and for high key (a-la-white background) all that power means white is very white! The softboxes are huge and on a ceiling rail so very easy to move. I get snoots, grids, a proper fan...........a changing room and a heap of props too.

I do also have my own at home and I can take them anywhere with a socket. They are great for headshots and 3/4 and yes I can get a white background with the three lights I have. bear in mind that the accessories are very expensive too. Look up Bowens Beauty dish and you are looking at £300+ just for that!

Not saying it can't be done on a budget and certainly you can build it up in time. Have a look at some of Garry Edwards posts for some good advice.

Back