What to do?

lawrie29

Balloons! Yay!
Name
Lawrie
Edit My Images
Yes
I have posted on here about a new camera, mainly for doing a wedding.

I have £220 ish to spend, and was looking at a new fuji s9600 bridge, with case cards etc, as it will be straightforward to use, as I have no real experience. However, after spending more time on here, am toying with a used dslr.

MPB photographic are showing a used Eos 10d at £179, and a Eos D30 for £119. Or a 300d for £154. These come as body only, so then I need a lens ot two.

A Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II is £29 so that would give me a kit for £150/£185/£210.

A Nikon D40 is £189 whilst the D70 is £184. The cheapest Nikon lens they have is a Nikon AF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED DX which is £119, although I would imagine I could find something cheaper. If I could find a lens for £40 (is that possible) the Nikon would be a similar price to the 10d.

Any comments, which is better? WOuld I be better just to get the bridge, bearing in mind my experience?

Is there another option to look at? Would a used Sony be any good? Any cheaper.

All opinions considered,

Thanks,

Lawrie

For about £25.00 more than your budget I managed to get hold of a brand new Sony A200 with kit lens.
I've had bridge cameras before (Panasonic and Canon) and the Sony knocks them into a cocked hat with regards picture quality and versatility.
The only downside about DSLR ownership is that they are rather bulky when compared to a compact, but on the basis that a bridge camera is also just as bulky this negative flies out of the window.
I'd be looking at a DLSR of some description personally.
Rob

I have posted on here about a new camera, mainly for doing a wedding....I have no real experience.

Errrm...you're just a guest right? :thinking:

I'd think about getting a 50mm 1.8 lens as it'll be miles better in terms of sharpness and low light than the kit lens.

You may be making the best decision

The Canon 10D would be my choice from your list, and together with the 18-55, it will give you image qualty far superior to any compact

In terms of speed and handling it is also a quantum leap better. Near instant power on, better AF speed, and unlike a compact, when you press the shutter, the picture is taken, with no faffing around while the camera autofocusses, and then decides it will take the shot.

On board flash is likely to be superior too.

I think that at the price you quote, the 10D is a bargain. Real profssional build quality with the magnesium body, easy to understand menus and really excellent output.

Errrm...you're just a guest right? :thinking:

I'd think about getting a 50mm 1.8 lens as it'll be miles better in terms of sharpness and low light than the kit lens.

Yeah, I'm guess I'm new enough to be a guest. So where should I splash the cash? Do I go for the cheaper body, but better glass, or vice verca? :help:

Of the 2nd user kit listed I would go for the 10d but the 18 -55 canon is an efs lens and will not fit the 10d 0r the d30 listed, it will fit the 300d.

Yeah, I'm guess I'm new enough to be a guest. So where should I splash the cash? Do I go for the cheaper body, but better glass, or vice verca? :help:
I think Ranarama meant a guest at the wedding :)

You are better off getting good lenses and an older/cheaper body as a good lens will still be a good lens if you decide to upgrade the body later. Have a look on the for sale section here, there may be someone selling a camera and lens who is close to you so you can hold it and try it first.

I think Ranarama meant a guest at the wedding :)

Yeah, missed that, LOL. I am kinda do the main shots. B+G don't want to splash on a pro, so based on me sticking a lens in their face enough are happy for me to do it. I have not built their expectations up.

I understand that DSLR have bigger sensors, but with the bridge I am looking at (s9600 fuji), I get a 10x zoom (no idea of the equivalent) and 9M pixels, and from other shots I have seen on here, the pictures of a high standard (by my eye, appreciate that pro kits blasts it away), or should I say high enough standard for the B+G. It gives me an easy learn option.

However a DSLR is appealing and I like thought of learning to use one, but from what I have heard, the fuji is as much as a dslr can be without actually being one......

The wedding is in November, so don't have a great deal of time to learn a DSLR, so may be more comfortable with the Fuji.

But then I know in time I could do so much more with the DSLR......

Appreciate the comments, keep them coming.

If anyone has any suggestions on a budget kit, I would appreciate it.

Lawrie

Of the 2nd user kit listed I would go for the 10d but the 18 -55 canon is an efs lens and will not fit the 10d 0r the d30 listed, it will fit the 300d.

So do I need an EF lens, rather than EFS for the 10d - Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 V USM £45??

When you say the main shots, what have they actually asked you for? Are you taking pictures of the ceremony and reception as well as the formals? Is it in a church? What time of day is it happening? Bearing in mind it's November you're not likely to have much light and what is there will disappear mid afternoon so you'll need fast glass and a camera that can handle high ISOs without turning into a complete noise monster. You'll need a proper flash too, and built in flash is an absolute dog for this type of work unless it's just for a bit of fill.

As far as basic kit goes I'm sticking with my recommendation of the 50mm 1.8 with some sort of DSLR. I really don't think you're budgeting enough for this kind of job though and without wishing to sound like a doom-monger do you know what you're letting yourself in for? There's a lot more to it than just 'sticking a lens in their face'.

Ranarama, I take you comments on boards. I think know what I've let myself in for......

I know I am pushing things with the budget, and the job as a whole. That is part of the reason that I am asking the questiond, although I am aware that just reading advice is never actually going to mean I can take a good photo.

I will be doing outside after the service (reg office is a couple of shots of them signing the register only, I have been told), then a few inside during the reception.

FLash is something else to consider.

TBH as long as there are someshots that have the right people on, and the B+G smilling, I know they will be happy.

I'm using it as an excuse to get a new toy, and still mulling over what to do.

s9600 has this - 28-300mm equiv. (10.7x) manual zoom f/2.8 – f/4.9 lens

I don't even wanna know how much a comparable lens would be.

Back