What to get the mother???

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
My mums just starting going into a midlife crisis state, and feels like if she doesnt travel the world trekking now its going to be too late...

She took her compact to zambia last month after refusing to take my camera on loan, and she suffered the concequences by having bad shots of elephants which would otherwise have been amazing...

So my question is i want to get her something for christmas but i cant really afford more than the £300-400 mark,(ive got toget myself a 70-200 for christmas;)). She will mostly be trekking around the globe for two to three week periods and that is all i have to say......

What can i get her? :help:

a travelling companion with decent gear. I'm free, if she's paying for the trips :D

shes single and looking ;) although i dont know about the paid trips... honestly its just something to take away that has a decent zoom and IS, i feel sorry for her coming back from a great trip and having bad photos to remember it by.

How about something like a second hand Canon 350d or a new Canon 1000d, then get a sigma or tamron 18-200mm lens. She can work the camera on auto then and will get decent enough results compared to a crappy compact

EDIT* and maybe a "how to" digital photography book?

well from looking at her pictures she is quite addapt at composing a picture her problem is the fact that she only has a compact. I think im going to get her like you said a 1000d or a 350d and seeing as im getting a 70-200 ill give her my tamron 55-200 with it and it should be fine...

Ahhh, good call, and get it with a kit lens? No need to spend on an extra lens then :)

Im sure she will love it :)

i think i will get with the kit lens its £350 with £30 cashback which isnt bad i think.

what about an older "bridge" camera, a Fuji S9600, read alot on those and there a fantastic camera by the looks of things, means she could leave it in "auto" mode and get some decent results

what about an older "bridge" camera, a Fuji S9600, read alot on those and there a fantastic camera by the looks of things, means she could leave it in "auto" mode and get some decent results

thanks for the reply, i had a look at this camera and i does look the part. I think this could be good for the kind of shots she is looking for. Both options sound good. Really its which one will be able to handle the versatility of the shots.

She never made a "jump" into photography but she has a natural eye for it and i think she would fall in love if she had some decent equipment backing her

thanks for the reply, i had a look at this camera and i does look the part. I think this could be good for the kind of shots she is looking for. Both options sound good. Really its which one will be able to handle the versatility of the shots.

She never made a "jump" into photography but she has a natural eye for it and i think she would fall in love if she had some decent equipment backing her

with that in mind i would buy a bridge camera, if she isnt keen its alittle less "loss" than an SLR but its something to get her into things before taking the plunge and going SLR and manual settings etc

yeah i guess your right, i have a couple of friends that consider themselves "photographers" that have never use their cameras on manual.... its horrifying what passes for a tog but oh well. Ill have a think about it but i think ive got my choice narrowed down to two

Back