What to take, Goa

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've had a bit of a break from photography, well, most fun things in the last year after going through a bit of a tough divorce. Anyway, for the first time in over 25 years, I am going to go on a short holiday on my own..

I've booked a week in Northern Goa for a week and plan on hiring a motorbike for a few days to travel around and take some photos. I'm staying in a hotel that does not have room safes. Just ones behind reception where you use your own padlock. So security seems a little iffy maybe, and I'll have nobody to watch anything at all, as I will be alone at all times. So I am in a bit of a muddle over what to take.

It is not an out and out photo break, but a "get away from it all", type break with some photography thrown in. I've a few cameras, some with more use than others. My "main" camera is an XT-1 with a variety of lenses and filters. My landscape kit. I think this is probably too much. Don't fancy messing with lenses and storing it. So I have a few other options. I'll definitely take my RX100iv for a pocket camera, but would like something full frame... So I have two options. My RX1R, so 35mm and the benefit of same batteries and it is small. It's great but focus is a bit slow for anything "street". My other option is my Leica M9, and 35 and 50 Summarit lenses. Small, fun, and good for street. But... poor at night in low light and I'm worried about security...

What do you think guys?

Cheers!
Steve

If you're worried about security, then just take your cheapest set up. The XT1 and a couple of small primes perhaps? if you lose the Rx1r or it gets stolen, it's going to be a lot more expensive to replace than an Xt1

If you're happy with a MF RF I wonder why you think the RX1 is a bit slow? You could put it in manual and shoot hyperfocal / zone for street stuff and use the AF when appropriate. Or, take the XT1 and one lens, preferably a fast prime. Either of those options together with the compact would be fine for me.

Hope you have a great time :D

Thanks. Sorry, didn't explain slow well. I just manually pre focus the RF in town. The RX1 is hard to use manually as it restarts to infinity after power off and sleep.

I like the idea is the Leica but night shots at high ISO wouldn't be great on that our the RX100. That's where the rx shines. Decisions...

Leave the Leica behind - you'll worry about it being nicked. TBH I'd take the XT1 with a 'kit' zoom for what you're doing, and work with the limitations that imposes.

Is buying new gear an option? Perhaps consider upgrading to RX1RII and then take your RX100iv. That way you keep same batteries/charger. Two cameras you can easily pocket and easy to keep safe. They also don't grab attention.
RX1RII has plenty fast AF for street and lot of pixels to crop in to 50mm equivalent if needed.

While I suggest being safe at all time on travels, Goa is on the safer side of spectrum. I've been in lot dodgier places tbh even in the UK.

Last edited:
X-T1 and an 18-135 as a single lens option. OR a cheapish Dx DSLR and an 18-200 or similar.

X-T1 and an 18-135 as a single lens option. OR a cheapish Dx DSLR and an 18-200 or similar.
This.......I did 2 weeks in Italy with XT-1 + 18-135 and got great results

Single body, single lens, reasonably weather resistant and sturdy.

Thanks all. I think it will be the Sony pair. Same batteries. The XT-1 would be an option, but I think the 18-55 Kit lens would be a bit restrictive at night and with the 23mm/1.4 it is not as compact as the RX1.

Back