what to take on holiday

Name
angelo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, newbie here again!
i see there are lots of posts from people about what to take on holiday in the way of lenses etc .. im going to california, san fran, LA, and vegas and wondered would you take more than 1 lens ?
i only have the 18-55 or the 55-250...
i was leaning towards just the 55-250 , keep it to a minimum. Any advice ?

Really? id have thought the telephoto would give me more scope and a wider range of choice

It depends on what you want to take pictures of out there but I would go with the 18-55 if your set on just taking one lens.

Take them both! I'm flying in 3 hours and I've got 7 lenses and two cameras in my bag!

Take them both! I'm flying in 3 hours and I've got 7 lenses and two cameras in my bag!

I take it your not taking them on the plane as hand luggage then??? if you are let me know how you are going to do that, or are you flying easy jet where as long as the bag fits in the losker it will do??

I am limited to 6kg and struggleing to take all my kit.

to the OP take them both, you will only regret it if you do not.

spike

Normally would have taken a Tamron 17-50, a Tamron 10-24 and a Sigma 50-150.

But now I will take a UWA and a 40mm prime nothing more really. I find telephotos on holidays to not be of much use. If I decide I want to spend the cash I might even splurge for a 70mm just so I have something a bit more tele to use but it is all primes and UWA to keep it light.

If you are to only take one lens then take your 18-55.

If you can , try and take both.

If i had to choose, i'd go for the 55-250.

You can't zoom very far at all with an 18-55, however, with the 55-250 ( ofcourse you can ) but for closer shots, you can just stand back a little to give you that 18-55mm effect.

SpikeK6 said:
I take it your not taking them on the plane as hand luggage then??? if you are let me know how you are going to do that, or are you flying easy jet where as long as the bag fits in the losker it will do??

spike

Yeah, luckily I flew easyjet, but in total I had just around 5kg,pretty much all in my camera bag you can see here and a tokina 11-16. I did however get to play with them all at security :/ not fun when there was a massive que behind me huffing and puffing :p

As others have said take both, but if only one then most definitely the 18-55.

I took a 15-85 and 70-300 on my last hol and I only used the 70-300 on one occassion and that was in a zoo.

SpikeK6 said:

I've never had my hand luggage weighed, but if I were cautious I'd just stick kit in my pockets until I'd got through check-in.

Re the OP: it all depends on how photography orientated your trip is. If you're going to get a fair but if time on your own to shoot then take both lenses, if not just take the 18-55mm.

Holidays are supposed to be enjoyed, and that includes those who are travelling with you. Very few people enjoy being a gooseberry while a photographer and his mistress photography get it on.

Re the OP: it all depends on how photography orientated your trip is. If you're going to get a fair but if time on your own to shoot then take both lenses, if not just take the 18-55mm.

Holidays are supposed to be enjoyed, and that includes those who are travelling with you. Very few people enjoy being a gooseberry while a photographer and his mistress photography get it on.[/QUOTE]

thats exactly what i was thinking, its a family holiday after all ...and my kids always seem a bit embarrassed when i take out the dslr :)
Thanks for the suggests everyone

I am limited to 6kg and struggleing to take all my kit

Imagine how I feel, 7D, 50D, 300 f2.8, 70-200 f4, 18-55 and 10-22, plus 8.5 x 42 binoculars. I always wear a vest with a wide selection of pockets, if I ever have my stuff weighed (not happened yet) I'll fill those pockets.

At least BA now have a sensible allowance.

Imagine how I feel, 7D, 50D, 300 f2.8, 70-200 f4, 18-55 and 10-22, plus 8.5 x 42 binoculars. I always wear a vest with a wide selection of pockets, if I ever have my stuff weighed (not happened yet) I'll fill those pockets.

At least BA now have a sensible allowance.

I am flying virgin and they allow one piece of hand luggage and it can only be a max of 6kg, TBO I think it will only be a problem if they think it looks heavy.
I weighed all my kit at the weekend and got it down to 8KG, so IF I get cought then my 100-400 will go in my little girls bag(y) My mono pod will have to go in the suitcase, i do not mind this as its not really breakable, and its easy and not costly to replace if the case gets damaged or lost

Its amazing what all the stuff weighs

spike

I am flying virgin and they allow one piece of hand luggage and it can only be a max of 6kg, TBO I think it will only be a problem if they think it looks heavy.

You're so right there. I've flown Air Botswana a few times with around 11kg in my hand luggage, a bit more than their 7kg limit. The last time my travelling companion (with a similar load) was quite worried about what we would do if they weighed our gear - and was even more worried when the person a few places in front of us had his tiny bag weighed. But I just did my normal routine at check-in; be friendly, look large (so my bag looks small), when asked about hand luggage I just swing it off my back - say "Just this" - and swing it back on. I've never had my bag weighed.

the difference in distance between shooting with an 18-55 and a 55-250 is about 1 metre. So if you need to shoot something at 18mm, all you need to do is move a metre back with the 55-250mm ... That's my opinion anyway, i think you'd miss more shots by not having a 55-250mm... down to personal preference though :)

spike

most long flights state how if your carrying a camera or laptop, they dont weigh it.

edit:

look
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_GB/helpingyoutravel/cabinbaggage

these are the guys im flying with when i go philippines in 3 weeks time.

your allowed a hand carry plus a laptop/camera/hand bag/backpack.

Same with emirates as well

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd be taking them both. They are both small and light enough to be able to get into hand baggage or luggage and I wouldn't have any problems taking them both out each day in case I needed them.

the difference in distance between shooting with an 18-55 and a 55-250 is about 1 metre. So if you need to shoot something at 18mm, all you need to do is move a metre back with the 55-250mm ... That's my opinion anyway, i think you'd miss more shots by not having a 55-250mm... down to personal preference though :)

Doesn't work like that at all unless you're close to your subject.
For any kind of landscape shot (be it cityscape or whatever), standing 1 meter back at 55mm is NOTHING like a shot taken at 18mm

Doesn't work like that at all unless you're close to your subject.
For any kind of landscape shot (be it cityscape or whatever), standing 1 meter back at 55mm is NOTHING like a shot taken at 18mm

Sorry i forgot to say that he should take a wide angle with him that attaches onto the 55-250. They're light so won't affect the weight.

With the wide angle and standing back you get everything to fit in ;)

Sorry i forgot to say that he should take a wide angle with him that attaches onto the 55-250. They're light so won't affect the weight.

They are also complete rubbish.

Just take the 18-55 and the 55-250, like all the sensible people suggest.

So if you need to shoot something at 18mm, all you need to do is move a metre back with the 55-250mm ... That's my opinion anyway,

I'm afraid your opinion is wrong!

It's only valid for a very short distance from camera to subject (about 500mm) and the 55-250 won't focus that close anyway. By the time your subject is 3 metres away then to get the same framing you would need to be 6 metres further back with the 55-250.

My advice to the OP would be take both or if not then take the 18-55 - I've been out and about with a 55-250 a fair bit and it's not really wide enough for general use IMHO.

Back