What 'Travel' camera?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Basically I'm off to South East Asia with my brother in September. We'll be backpacking and staying in hostels etc.. I've thought about taking my D800e with me and 24-70 but it's just too big and bulky, I've ruled out the idea of taking a DSLR as it's just too big. I want something that will just about fit in my pocket and that I can conceal easily. Image quality is a high priority.

I've done a bit of research and the Fuji x100 has come up a lot and so has the x10 and x20 etc...

Just wanted to hear a few of your opinions and recommendations?

Budget is around £500-£600

Thanks,

James.

I'd recommend looking at Sony's NEX series as well as Fuji's X series.

I am a fan of the m43s cameras so would suggest looking at those. I recently picked up a Panasonic GF5 with power zoom for £250, this is a very compact package which delivers great results and is a real bargain at the moment. The downside is the lack of viewfinder but it has a great screen and is useable even in bright light. While the camera is too big for a trouser pocket it will easily fit in a coat pocket. Given the cheap price you could even add one of the cheap fast primes (Olympus 45 f1.8 or Panasonic 20 f1.7) and still be well under budget.

I am still mightily impressed by the quality of the lenses in the Nikon 1 system and a J1 kit can be had for peanuts nowadays - I really like the one I bought my wife.

I also really like the FT1 adapter which allows me to put my telephoto lenses on it for some crazy reach!

Any CSC system will probably be too bulky for the OP IMO. I think he's after a more compact solution.

I'm recently back from a holiday without a DSLR (so much more freedom!) and took a small selection of compacts and a bridge. Apart from a couple of days when I took the bridge to allow the use of it's extra length, I found that the Fuji XF-1 was the tool of choice. I has the same guts as the X-10 behind a more compact lens. The turn on procedure is similar but requires a gentle pull in addition to the original X-10's turn of the zoom ring.
Pocketability is extremely good - in its case it fits in a shirt pocket (an X-10 won't) and files SOOC print well up to A3+ so image quality is fine (I shoot in JPEG although the XF can store raw files [support for its raws is limited and the JPEGs from it and the X-10 make raw redundant - see the X-10 thread]). If it makes any difference to the OP, the camera's pretty good looking too, having the look of a certain overpriced German product! Comes in well under budget too. Not sure of the weather proofness of the thing - I keep mine dry (along with myself whenever possible!)

For me, the pros are the IQ and pocketability along with ease of use and features (my current favourite is its sweep panorama setting). It is a little hampered by the 100mm (35mm equivalent) long end but my tastes run more toward the wider angles and its lack of OVF but in the bright sunshine of Crete the rear screen was easily visible even through shades.

Rx100 is worth a look. Somewhat fiddly controls but iq is very impressive for a camera that truley is pocketable. Very impressed with mine.

If the main priority is image quality I would go for X100 (or Ricoh GR - no viewfinder) but it does limit you with the fixed lens.
But then if you don't want a viewfinder I would go m4/3 with a pancake lens (putting you in same boat as X100) but also take the kit lens, or longer, as wouldn't take much room. I think Olympus have an offer on at moment where you get a free 20 1.7 lens when buying an EPL5 or EM2 which sounds good.

Sony Nex 6 is available for £499, Sigma 30mm for £99 (Nex mount).
You have to think about battery and charger with the Nex system, I'm not familiar with the Fuji?

If you value good af performance then think about the Nikon 1 system.

Digital Rev do a V1 & 10mm lens for £199, or a V1, 10-30mm & 30-110mm for £329.

I've used a D300s/D90 set up before moving to Nikon 1 and am delighted with my results - perfect system for walk-about/ travel.

Images look really good in NX2 or Lightroom, coming from a D800 you'll be very familiar with the Nikon look the 1 system gives you. I've given up on M43 as have never been really happy with my results.

RX100 close the thread. IQ is as good as any MFT and the high ISO is superb. Just don't expect any bokeh.

Thanks for all your comments guys. It's very much appreciated!

Cheers,

James

I own an X100 and it doesnt fit in a pocket, youd be lucky to fit it in a coat pocket and if you do it gives quite a big bulge and the weight feels strange. I had an Olympus E-PL3 (micro 4/3s) and it was the same, the body was smaller and lighter but the lens made it too big to fit in any pocket again unless you got the body cap lens, I think all CSCs will be too big including the Nikon 1s.

Id go for the RX100; its in your price range, fits in the pocket and has great image quality for its size. If not that, the XF1; similar size with a similar lens but half the price!

I'm a D800E owner too, I feel your pain OP. I want to bring my dslr and all my lenses with me everywhere, but it can become a PITA. I just recently purchased a Fuji X100s - only 3 days use so far and I am already in love! This is the only camera I will take to Turkey at the end of the month.

Get a case for it! use the provided neck-strap ... sheesh ... there are many options available to keep it unobtrusive.

All I can say is the X100s is the nicest, most comfortable, best behaving, best quality camera I have used, in this price range, for a long time. It beats the pants off the Sony RX100 [which I just sold on to buy the Fuji] - Forget size. the Rx100 was so small I was always afraid it would slip out of my hand, and that was with a rubber grip I added to it. I also found the controls less than brilliant on the fly. Way too fiddly.

The X100s gives you better quality images, better high ISO performance, better 'bokeh' and better all-round controls. Takes a day or two to nail it, then it's down, and becomes very intuitive. It continues to impress me with use.

So it's a fixed WA lens - I have thought on this point - and then i reckoned ... I don't actually use zoom or longer lenses when I'm abroad - i tend to take in the scene - and the quality is that good I wouldn't mind having to crop whatsoever.

I am not paid by fuji for this post btw :D

I just really do love this camera. Get one, now!

If you don't love it after a few days and a good getting-to-know session, well, you'll sell it at no loss easily. People are crying out for them.

Not a great example, but I have just been putting it through it's paces, this pic of our new kitty was shot at f/2, ISO 3200 -

My shadow by Cagey75, on Flickr

I shot a party with it last night, never brought the D800 along - and it was great, people were ogling over it all night. My D800E, with the best lenses I could stick on, never pulled that kind of reaction.

Last edited:
I've been quite tempted to add a "travel" camera and keep looking at either the X-Pro 1 or the NEX 7 as an alternative to my Nikon D7000 but truth be told I didn't find my D7000 too much to lug when I was on holiday, I suspect partly because I tend to stick to prime lenses.

I've got an 11 day trip to Italy planned in August and while I love the idea of buying something small in reality weight aside there wouldn't be much space saved or size difference between my D7000 with my 20, 24, 35 and a 50/85 primes v an X-Pro 1, 14mm, 35mm & 60mm...there would be a lot more cost however!!!!

I shot a party with it last night, never brought the D800 along - and it was great, people were ogling over it all night. My D800E, with the best lenses I could stick on, never pulled that kind of reaction.

Clearly a very nice image of the moggy which I'm not disputing for a second. But I do think the OP should check out all options, the Sony also takes very nice images (although, DoF does tail of quickly), is very small, quite versatile with its Carl Zeiss Zoom and does not attract any attention.

The OP needs a camera for travelling abroad and as such a camera that attracts attention, in this instance, would be a bad thing?! :thinking:

To be honest, I've never understood the people that give a lot of value to what the camera looks like, IQ absolutely but not the camera itself....what am I missing here??

By the way, I dont work for Sony either! :D

The OP needs a camera for travelling abroad and as such a camera that attracts attention, in this instance, would be a bad thing?! :thinking:

To be honest, I've never understood the people that give a lot of value to what the camera looks like, IQ absolutely but not the camera itself....what am I missing here??

Depending on where you go some people may see the X100 as an old fashioned film camera (worthless) and would rather steal the RX100 which looks all modern and shiny. They may have never really seen a camera (thinking somewhere like Norfolk here)

And a lot of people care what things they use look like, what their shoes look like, what their car looks like etc,. (include myself in that) and it is important. Clearly not as important as how they perform in respect to cameras but a factor nonetheless.

Depending on where you go some people may see the X100 as an old fashioned film camera (worthless) and would rather steal the RX100 which looks all modern and shiny. They may have never really seen a camera (thinking somewhere like Norfolk here)

Accept that different populations of people find different items aesthetically pleasing, but Cagey noted himself that the x100 got a lot of attention.

Ive used the little RX100 in the middle of London, at parties, at motor racing venues etc and not once have I noticed it even getting looked at let alone a comment. Just another small P&S to most people, in my very humble opinion.

It might be me that's weird though, my car is a 'sleeper' (some might say ready for the scrap yard!) and my motorcycle has a reputation of being down-right ugly...but they perform very well! :)

Each to their own of course though. :)

Accept that different populations of people find different items aesthetically pleasing, but Cagey noted himself that the x100 got a lot of attention.

Ive used the little RX100 in the middle of London, at parties, at motor racing venues etc and not once have I noticed it even getting looked at let alone a comment. Just another small P&S to most people, in my very humble opinion.

Yes, but backpacking in far east Asia is not the middle of London or wherever Cagey lives.
If there were real concerns over safety of the gear I would just get a used camera. I just picked up a slightly rough around the edges Nex 5 for just over £100 (with kit lens) that would do the job nicely for example.

I'm taking my Zorki to Italy. :)

Metal bodies, large sensors, electronic viewfinders, external buttons and dials aren't cheap. Ignore the fact the same camera will probably be reduced by around £400 in a years time and still presumably sell at a profit :)

I just spent a couple of weeks in Thailand with a D800, and it was absolutely no problem. But, I wasn't backpacking, so that may change things.

A friend who lives there has the Olympus OMD - a great camera.

Yes, but backpacking in far east Asia is not the middle of London or wherever Cagey lives.
If there were real concerns over safety of the gear I would just get a used camera. I just picked up a slightly rough around the edges Nex 5 for just over £100 (with kit lens) that would do the job nicely for example.

The idea of a used looking camera would make a lot of sense if you are worried that someone might try and grab it. BTW if anyone knows of a NEX5 with kit lens for £100 let me know as I would quite like to try a Sony again!

BTW if anyone knows of a NEX5 with kit lens for £100 let me know as I would quite like to try a Sony again!

In fairness, for the price it has a fair few marks on it, screen looks like it has permanent smudges on it and didn't even have a lens cap on it.
On the plus side, if I get mugged I can throw it at the assailant...

Stick some masking tape on it: it will look broken and the tape comes off with no marks.

Clearly a very nice image of the moggy which I'm not disputing for a second. But I do think the OP should check out all options, the Sony also takes very nice images (although, DoF does tail of quickly), is very small, quite versatile with its Carl Zeiss Zoom and does not attract any attention.

By the way, I dont work for Sony either! :D

That was just how 'I' feel about the Fuji. You seem to have skipped over the fact I said I owned the RX100 and the Fuji has better image quality - that has nothing to do with the camera's looks, I certainly buy it for the looks either. It's just a bonus IMO.

I've seen people stick gaffer tape over the shiny bits, makes it look rougher, like an old, well used film camera.

You can't go about wondering if you'll be mugged for having something nice all the time either!

And as said, from a distance it'll look more like a film camera anyhow.

I don't mind what OP opts for. Just adding that option in, why do you care so much?

Last edited:

Ireland ;)

Maybe people at Irish parties appreciate nice things more Osmo? :p

I'm heading to Turkey end of the month. I'm taking the X100s. If anyone tries to take it from me they better have a machete.

Last edited:
Ha :D

Hail from Carlow down the SE of the country, now residing in Navan, Co. Meath - upper East midlands

So yeah, you'll probably just say Ireland :D

That was just how 'I' feel about the Fuji. You seem to have skipped over the fact I said I owned the RX100 and the Fuji has better image quality - that has nothing to do with the camera's looks, I certainly buy it for the looks either. It's just a bonus IMO.

I've seen people stick gaffer tape over the shiny bits, makes it look rougher, like an old, well used film camera.

You can't go about wondering if you'll be mugged for having something nice all the time either!

And as said, from a distance it'll look more like a film camera anyhow.

I don't mind what OP opts for. Just adding that option in, why do you care so much?

I hadnt skipped over it, i even acknowledged your picture was very nice (which i still state), you seem to have skipped over that. My point is that the original poster used the phrase 'conceal' which to me meant security was a risk, and as such a camera which attracted lots of attention may not be the best choice.

What do you mean, 'why do i care so much'?

I mean exactly that. You just seemed a little worked up over it in your posts? Maybe I read you wrong. But why care if he picks one over the other? They are just suggestions. It won't really matter to us in the end ;)

I was at an event on Saturday and a few people asked if it was a Leica or if it was a film camera. If people are that worried just get insurance?

Basically I'm off to South East Asia with my brother in September. We'll be backpacking and staying in hostels etc.. I've thought about taking my D800e with me and 24-70 but it's just too big and bulky, I've ruled out the idea of taking a DSLR as it's just too big.

You may want to rethink this. I have been to SE Asia a number of times and have just this week returned from a trip to Thailand and Cambodia. This was my first trip with a DSLR (all my previous trips I had taken a compact and I regret not having a DSLR for all those trips) - the photo opportunities are too great not to have the best camera possible. I took my 7D, 15-85mm, 10-20mm, 50mm, as well as a tripod. The camera and lenses I stored in a camera rucksack which I carried around during the day.

I really think if you are going to invest in a good DSLR and lenses then why would you leave them at home on a trip to one of the most beautiful parts of the world?

I can't really see why security/ safety would be an issue. You'll see A LOT of people using DSLRs and most accommodation in that part of the world includes access to a safe (if you want to put the camera somewhere secure at night).

I'm off on another trip to Papua New Guinea in September - not exactly the safest or easiest place to travel in the world - but I will definitely be taking all my camera gear!

Last edited:
I bought a Leica D Lux 4 as an experiment to see if I'd get on with a compact for times when I don't want to carry my usual gear. It is a great little camera so I'm going to give it to my girlfriend and get a D Lux 6 and EVF.

The Leica EVF can be tilted to use as a waist level finder which is quite a natural way to use it.

I'm always interested that people buy D Lux when the LX is available at a much cheaper price. I've owned two LX's and buying the rebadged Lieca just never even crossed my mind.

Back