What tripod motor sport

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I do a lot of motor bike racing, I have a canon 1d, 400mm f2.8 l lens with a gimbal and I am looking for something that will take the weight and travel easy :ty:
cheers felix

I don't think any tripod will be particularly good on the motorcycle while you are racing. Perhaps if you had a mag mount for the tank, but then it might be difficult to see through the viewfinder at 150mph.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

ive heard that tripods without a center column are more stable, and if u want to be quick a self leveling bowl or whatever its called would be handy
but none of those things is light or cheap :x

Seen loads of people with monopods, I've tried and failed so far to get on with that combo, still happy to handhold the 300 or 500mm but the 400mm as different beast. What about the new manfrotto pro055 range? But it does depend on your budget. Problem might be, lightweight tripod may not equal your 400mm + gimbol + camera

More seriously than my comment on the tank mount :sneaky:...

...I have a Benbo trekker. It's not particularly light but it is very tough and will take any weight. It's advantage at motor race meetings is that it does need anywhere near a level surface to get level shots as each leg moves independently so you can mount the tripod on any surface at almost any angle.

It takes a bit of getting used to at first and feels like you are trying to manoeuver a set of bagpipes into position but persevere and they are very good for most aspects of photography.

They are waterproof and really well-built too.

Depends what you want from your tripod. I've got a Manfrotto 055cxpro4 which is pretty light and portable etc :) I wouldn't trust it to hold my 200-400mm lens for a long exposure at night but for the purposes of holding my lens for normal still shots then it's awesome :)

I've got a monopod too and whilst that has it's place, the stability from the tripod is nice if you're allowed to use a tripod. Even with just two legs deployed, you'll find it offers lots of support compared to a monopod.

Back