What was your 1st L lens + why

Name
Diane
Edit My Images
Yes
I can't hold the camera still no matter how hard I try. It's not always practicable to use a tripod therefore I have tons of pics that look great as thumbnails but are pants full size.

Am I right in thinking the higher spec L lens would go some way to alleviate the problem?

What would you recommend as a good allrounder ? (Is there such a thing?) I generally shoot landscapes but dabble in animal portraits also.

Thanks for your input.

You mention camera shake/tripod issues so I'd guess you're looking more towards IS than an L. Although some of the longer L Lenses feature (Gen 2?) IS such as the 70-200 which is what you may be thinking of?

For a good value IS lens, I'd consider the 28-135 IS USM. You can get them from around £200 and they're pretty good for the price.

Does that help my good man?

Edit: But, to answer your question: I've just ordered a 24-70L from Kerso because it seems to be a good 'keep on' lens, it was either that or the 70-200 2.8 IS but I wanted something wide. I believe the 24-70L tends to be a very popular first 'L'.

I suspect you're doing something really daft. Assuming you're using a safe minimum shutter speed for the lens in use, it's probably just down to bad technique. There's a definite right way to hold a camera, and it comes as second nature after a while, but it's easy to get lax about it. Many a pro has noticed his images not quite as sharp as they used to be and had to go back to basics with hand holding technique.

CLICKY

Dai,

Which camera body are you using....everything I can find of yours is taken with a Fuji Finepix. If you've already got a Canon DSLR body, then which one is it....I make the Canon assumption based on the L-glass question.

Stick your head out of the front door and take a shot down the street and then post it here with the EXIF data included. If you're not happy about doing that then maybe email to someone for "confidential" advice......I'd be happy to have a look and check the basics.

Bob

If you got shaky hands L glass won't help ya unless it got built in IS, I suggest you invest in a monopod they do help alot, im pretty good with my nerves so to speak but just invested in a monopod myself because of it being winter.

Hi there,
I have exactly that problem too. I have followed all the advice everyone has kindly passed on over the time I have been here, and I have noticed it's not my hands....my whole body sways! I just can't seem to stop it, even with feet planted apart and one slightly in front of the other....so now I try to always lean against something, when possible. As for the lens...L glass isn't the issue as that gives quality yes, but you will still have motion. What you need is Image Stabilisation (IS for Canon, VR for Nikon). It definately helps! For a good all purpose lens, 24-105mm IS L ticks all the boxes. Costs a bit, but I think well worth it.

Cheers,

24-105l for me....

nice wide zoom range. and 3 stop iS...

for me.... perfect everyday lens...

and OMG..those colours...really jump out at you...

Dave...

There are 2 things to be aware of here.

First is to hold correctly. Tuch your arms in stand with an open legged stance and cup the camera under the lens with your left hand.

Second is shutter speed. There is a formula for hand holding and that is to use a maximum shutter speed of one over the focal length in use.

For instance if you are using a 200mm lens use 1/250th. If you are at 70mm use 1/125 or at a pinch 1/60th.

If using a zoom note what you have zoomed to before setting exposure!

your usually safe with a shutter speed that matches the focal length, but going the next fastest shutter speed will give a bit of a safety.

L isn't going to solve the problems of shake......... You'll just get blurry images with better colour resolution :D

Since you asked though,my first L was the 17/40 f4 and I've owned it longer than any other piece of photographic equipment.

Ok... put simply....

its the reciprocal(spelling) of the focal length... or 1 over....

so... 100mm is 1/100.. 200mm is 1/200...etc....

simple...lol

Dave.

You mention camera shake/tripod issues so I'd guess you're looking more towards IS than an L. Although some of the longer L Lenses feature (Gen 2?) IS such as the 70-200 which is what you may be thinking of?

For a good value IS lens, I'd consider the 28-135 IS USM. You can get them from around £200 and they're pretty good for the price.

Does that help my good man?

Shows how much of a noob I am :shake: Of course I meant IS. (Have I got out of that one ?)

It helps thanks, I'll go look. btw- It's good WOMAN :)

i don't ahve any l glass but have u considered a monpod?

I have a monopod (free with mag subscription) Only tried useing it once. I just found myself swaying even more.

Dai,

Which camera body are you using....everything I can find of yours is taken with a Fuji Finepix. If you've already got a Canon DSLR body, then which one is it....I make the Canon assumption based on the L-glass question.

Stick your head out of the front door and take a shot down the street and then post it here with the EXIF data included. If you're not happy about doing that then maybe email to someone for "confidential" advice......I'd be happy to have a look and check the basics.

Bob

I have a canon 300d purchased from TP's Steves-in-pain. It's taking some getting used to so haven't posted anything shot with it yet.
Once it's stopped raining I'll take a pic then try to pluck up the courage to post it here. Thanks for the 'confidential' offer much appreciated.

If you got shaky hands L glass won't help ya unless it got built in IS, I suggest you invest in a monopod they do help alot, im pretty good with my nerves so to speak but just invested in a monopod myself because of it being winter.

I'll have to give my monopod another go.

I have followed all the advice everyone has kindly passed on over the time I have been here, and I have noticed it's not my hands....my whole body sways! I just can't seem to stop it, even with feet planted apart and one slightly in front of the other....so now I try to always lean against something, when possible.

Cheers,

That descripes me to a T. I've tried braceing myself against a solid object even holding my breath to no avail.

24-105l for me....

nice wide zoom range. and 3 stop iS...

for me.... perfect everyday lens...

and OMG..those colours...really jump out at you...

Dave...

Sounds good.

There are 2 things to be aware of here.

First is to hold correctly. Tuch your arms in stand with an open legged stance and cup the camera under the lens with your left hand.

Second is shutter speed. There is a formula for hand holding and that is to use a maximum shutter speed of one over the focal length in use.

For instance if you are using a 200mm lens use 1/250th. If you are at 70mm use 1/125 or at a pinch 1/60th.

If using a zoom note what you have zoomed to before setting exposure!

Ok I'll practise that. Thanks.

Ok... put simply....

its the reciprocal(spelling) of the focal length... or 1 over....

so... 100mm is 1/100.. 200mm is 1/200...etc....

simple...lol

Dave.

Simple I like that. Thanks

OK what was my first L Lens ?

I got the 70-200 2.8 L IS , why? becuse I shoot sport so wanted the reach and speed, yes I could have got away with an f4, but you only buy once so buy the best

Now as for camera shake, you look to be having a simular problem as my dad, and a monopod has worked wonerd for his shot. They are now far sharper than before and he is using an IS panosonic FZ50.

If your willing to spend the money a Canon 17-55 2.8 IS is a great lens. short focal length and fast apeture plus IS = VERY sharp images

14-40mm f/4 L. Brilliant lens on my 30D and superb image quality for landscapes. Gives good results on APS-sized sensors –*would love to see the resukts on a high spec, full-frame sensor camera like a 5D.

Canon 17-55 2.8 IS

Cheapest I've found this lens is £640.50 (apart from a Hong Kong EBay seller) Are there any 3rd party, ie cheaper, manufacturer's that do the same sort of lens ?

Sounds like just what I'm looking for, but, can I justify the price ?

Richmond,

I can certainly empathise with you as I'm also a naturally shaky person. I have a problem with my inner ear so for me it's a case of learning to live with it.

I previously had the 28-135 IS lens and I have to admit I loved it. It's certainly not "L" quality or build but the IS really helped my confidence when I was starting out. I've now learned to work around my shakiness and have also upgraded to L glass.

Did the L glass improve my shots? No not really, they're obviously sharper but I think having had IS on the other lens I learnt enough to make the improvemet in glass worth the investment. Without the IS I think I'd of had a hard time overcoming my issues and may well of still been faffing around in "green box" mode :eek:

P.S. Sigma do an "OS" 18-200 lens. I've not had any experience of it but it's certainly worth googling!

Back