What was your first 'proper' camera?

I bought a Zenith E when I was a schoolboy in 1968 for about £30 mail order. It had a good lens but it was terribly agricultural by today's standards and I don't miss it. Incidentally it also had a lightmeter. The EM's enhancement was the automatic stop down as opposed to the E's preset diaphragm.

A Vivitar V3000s with a 50mm F1.7 lens. Learned the very basics with this. Bought a selection of lenses before it locked up and I decided to move on to more modern kit. Still miss it and am often tempted by some eBay bargains - until I look in my camera cupboard and realise I don't need it really [emoji20]

I must be a bit fresher than the rest of you lot [emoji6]

I've only had digital so far. My first was a second hand D40x circa 2008, followed by a D7100 and finally my Fuji X-T10. Next up is an upgraded X body. I'm more than settled on the Fuji system now.

I've never owned a film camera but do fancy one. Perhaps just jump right into MF [emoji15]

Last edited:
A Practica Super TL2, later followed by an MTL3 second body. I used with a 35mm Zeiss Flektagon F2.4 and a Zeiss 135mm F3.5.

I'm glad this thread has generated a good response, and hopefully it's stirred up some happy memories for people too, keep them coming folks. (y) :)

First SLR was a Minolta X300 which was stolen in a break in. The insurance came up trumps though and i got a canon eos 100 which was and still is a delightful camera. I've had canon ever since apart from the odd oddball find at charity shops and the like.

First was a Canon AE-1 (second hand) ... fond memories. Had a Sigma 35-70 and a Visitor 75-150 plus teleconverter as well as "borrowing" my Dad's 50mm f/1.8 and 28mm f3.5 - he only had an FTb body though ... Was around 12/13 old afair.

Unfortunately the whole lot was stolen when I was at university.

Mostly black and white; developed and printed at home - though sometimes would "cheat" and use Ilford XP1 then enlarge my favourites.

Last edited:
Practika MTL3. Still got it, but not used it for several years. I should drag it out and give it a go.

Bierette 35mm, sold by boots in the 1970's, a christmas present from my parents in 1974. An East German camera the wasn't too bad. Long since lost (although for nostalgia reasons I bought one on Ebay a few years ago). Then a low tech Zenit B with a 50mm f3.5mm, cost me £33 in 1977, a fortune for a schoolboy! Then on the 7th September 1979 I bought an OM-1N, (the one below) I used this camera until January 1991.
8216658029_b9408a27ed_b.jpg

I've got to admit that my first was a digital SLR, sorry. But my first film camera was a Nikon FM2 with 100mm f2.5. My second was a brand new Mamiya RB67SD Pro. My third another Nikon but mainly bought it because it had a 35mm PC attached to it :)

Like Kendo, my first SLR was a Yashica FR1, from my father, and then he gave it to me (only the body and the 50mm lens), once in my hands I completed the kit:

But the first camera I bought entirely by myself was this KIEV-4M few years ago:

I used to use my Dad's Vito B but even though he never used it he refused to part with it so when I left home (late 70's) I bought a Practika which was the size of a house brick and weighed as much. Took great photos and I recorded much of my children's early life with it. Just tried to find it to quote model number but it wasn't where I thought it was but I did find an old bulk film loader with film still in it! Bought a Vito B subsequently tho'.

Vito Bs are excellent. Almost the perfect small film camera. Don't forget to use up the film in the bulk loader - it is very forgiving stuff.

My first proper was a Zenit E in around 1983 when I was 14 or so followed by an OM-10 around 1990

First proper camera was a Fed4, bought for me by my dad in 1982 so I could take it on my school Spanish exchange.

I returned after 3 weeks in the Albacete and El Campello sun to find most of the images had a black bar on the right hand side of them (shutter fault).

So my old man bought me a Practika B200 for my birthday (lens mount came loose).

So he then bought me a Canon TX fully manual brass bodied behemoth. Not surprisingly this lasted well.

Another Zenith EM user, then i upgraded to a Pentax MX, lovely camera and learned so much with it.

Chinon from Jessops around 1980, can't remember model.
Then proper proper replacement was Ffordes demo Contax RX late-90s

My first was a Yashica J SLR, obtained in about 1978 but probably dating from about 1963. According to what I see on google there should be a number like J-3 or J-7 but I can only remember the J. I don't have it and don't remember what happened to it. I used it a lot, probably with a Leningrad meter, until I got a Canon AE-1, again secondhand, from my parents for my 21st birthday.

I skipped over the Praktica MTL-3 stage which was the predominant starter SLR being advertised at the time, but made up by buying one a few months ago, which works fine except for the meter.

My first proper camera was my Canon 400D which is my current DSLR.

My first camera capable of taking a semi reasonable shot was a Haminex 35mm compact when I was about 12.. Of course back then there were no mobile phones or any other way of taking a photo, but it seemed like a step up from the popular 110 point and shoot cameras frequently sold by people like Boots. IMG_0483.JPG

Last edited:
Mine was a lubitel 166, I have no idea where I got it from and have no idea where it went.... loved it.
Then came a chinon ce5 with the power winder, 50 and 75-150 I think. I believe it cost about £200 for the kit from comet.
Then canon 1v with motor drive which was/is brilliant.
Still got the ce5 (brilliant little body) and the v1...

Yashica FX-3 2000 Super :)

Bought it in the '90's with a Tokina SD 28-70mm. I now also have a ML28/2.8 & ML50/1.9 [after trying all the 50's] & an adaptor [M42 > C/Y] to use my Helios 44-2 plus a zoom of some description 70-200mm or similar - I don't even know where that is!!

I got into FD lenses [28, 50 & 85] with my A7 so bought a Canon Av-1 but I'm tempted to slim down & sell all my Canon gear on & just keep the Yashica.

Back