Beginner What was your first 'WOW' picture?

Thanks. I've got quite a few more albums on my Flickr from all the gigs we've been to.
Some great stuff in there we have very similar taste in music, I'm very jealous of how many times you've seen David Ford he is truly fantastic and live is just amazing! We also support the same footy team by the looks of things and oddly I also went to school with Matthew Jay!

Guess I should also join in the sharing! I took this picture with my 30D shortly after I got it whilst on a training course in Clevedon, there had been a massive storm the night before and I popped out over lunch just as the weather was clearing up and caught this:

After The Storm
by Alex Booth, on Flickr

I was really happy with the composition, the leading lines and the pier extending out towards he brightening sky as others have said it was one of the first pictures I took where what I got was pretty much exactly what I had in mind when I released the shutter. Looking back I still like it although obviously it's not perfect!

Last edited:
Kept meaning to post this, so here we go... Took this in October 2012, so I'd had the camera for nearly a year (eeek). Nothing before this shot sticks in my mind much, barring a few shots at Burghley horse trails, but when I look back on those, they're a bit s***. This shot on the other hand I still like, and indeed am still proud of. The owner contacted me and wanted to buy it, but I just said he could have them for free - the day didn't cost me anything and I wasn't in it to make money! In lieu of payment he gave me a tour of the Force India F1 teams workshop, as it transpired he was the machine shop manager there. What a contact to make!

BRM Day 2012, 1. by Harry Measures, on Flickr

Great idea for a thread, really got me thinking!

Harry.

I've had my camera for about 4 months now, stepped up from a bridge camera, and I think this was the first pic I took where I was really pleased with the IQ. It was the first wow I got from my good lady although I think the subject matter, our son, had more to do with it than the photo itself :cool:

_DSC1232 by Roll, on Flickr

I have taken plenty of nice photos, some needs little bit of processing, some need minimal. I never go WOW with photos that needs lots of processing as it's hard to go WoW when its a longer process.

This however, I actually went WoW soon as I took that because it actually looks like that in camera.

At a wedding, never tried that before, always had the idea in my head and I asked them if they could indulge me for 2 mins. I clicked once, realised I needed the tripod, went to get tripod. this is like the 3rd shot. I took 2 more bursts as they pulled away from the kiss but I pretty much nailed it with 1 take.

y93f6Nr.jpg

This below I took last week at a wedding, also my first attempt at double exposure in a digital camera. I like it a lot.

bcfBjxs.jpg

Last edited:
I have taken plenty of nice photos, some needs little bit of processing, some need minimal. I never go WOW with photos that needs lots of processing as it's hard to go WoW when its a longer process.

This however, I actually went WoW soon as I took that because it actually looks like that in camera.

At a wedding, never tried that before, always had the idea in my head and I asked them if they could indulge me for 2 mins. I clicked once, realised I needed the tripod, went to get tripod. this is like the 3rd shot. I took 2 more bursts as they pulled away from the kiss but I pretty much nailed it with 1 take.
This below I took last week at a wedding, also my first attempt at double exposure in a digital camera. I like it a lot.

The first shot is definately wow!! I guess there was a light in the parasol?

There are some cracking images in here (y)

Not really a WOW! moment per se, but more of a " I love it when a plan comes together" moment, and it set me on what was to be come my mission to capture that perfect gob / tonsil shot :D

IMG_3340
by Chris, on Flickr

I remember being thrilled with this one.
English Heritage didn't hate it either, seeing as they bought it for a limited run in the gift shop :)

stonehenge.
by viv1969 on Talk Photography

There are some cracking images in here (y)

Not really a WOW! moment per se, but more of a " I love it when a plan comes together" moment, and it set me on what was to be come my mission to capture that perfect gob / tonsil shot :D

IMG_3340
by Chris, on Flickr

Damn Chris, that's sharp!

Back