What wide angle lens would you recommend ?

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
Hi all.
I'm looking for a wide angle fixed focal length lens for Nikon full frame (D800). What lenses would you recommend?
I have Sigma AF 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG but it has terrible flare
I used Tokina AT-X 116 AF 11-16mm f/2.8 PRO DX II and Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC but they are not good for full frame.
I also have Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG - very good lens but looking for something wider.
( I can't afford Sigma 14mm F1.8 DG HSM Art Lens :)
Samyang 14mm and Irix 15 mm -no AF may be a problem

Starting fishy wide and getting longer.

Sigma 8mm Fisheye. Gives a full 180° circular image on an FF sensor.
Sigma 12-24. Extremely well corrected for rectilinear distortions but does show pretty extreme perspective.
Nikkor 14-24. Goes to f/2.8. NOT cheap!
Tamron/Sigma 14mm f/2.8. Show some easily corrected in PP barrel distortions.
Samyang 14mm. MF but does report the aperture to the camera (Nikon) IIRC so can be used in A mode with the aperture ring.
Cosina/Vivitar/etc. 19-35. Cheap and relatively old.

FWIW, the lack of AF in the Samyang isn't really a problem. Chances are that you'll be using it stopped down to around f/8 at which point the DoF is massive. Green dot focussing is always available anyway so you should be able to MF it reasonably accurately. Slightly more complicated distortion than the Tamron but I think there's a correction in LR for it.

How quickly are you looking to purchase? Samyang have recently launched a 14mm f/2.8 for Canon EF (with AF) so if you're in no rush perhaps wait see if there is a Nikon version anytime soon.

You're a pro, right? Just get the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8. You know it makes sense.

Yes more I read about Irix more I'm convinced that it's possible to photograph wedding with no AF in the dark reception and under time pressure.

Perhaps you should have mentioned that you wanted the lens for weddings in your first post.

Do you actually need something that wide?

I have a 16-35 which I bought for the very odd time I need something wide but it gets very little use at weddings other than for a few wide dance floor shots when I am in the mood. Although it has got a fair bit of use for non wedding work. Generally I find 20mm wide enough and have a 20mm Sigma Art which I use a lot at weddings.

What are you planning on using an ultra wide for? It wouldn't be a lens that would make much sense usually during the ceremony, portraits etc.

Its all about individual preferences.
I photograph only weddings and i love wide angle. Now, my most important lenses are nikor 70-200 and sigma 15-30.
Every photographer has his own style and its not the best idea to copy others as competition is so big that only those who standing out from the croud can make bussines (its just my opinion, I'm not a marketing expert).
Nikor 14-24mm f/2.8 - Is it realy so good on 14mm? definitely expensive!

Back