What will hatch? - The Mystery of the Golden Eggs

Name
Jens
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone!
The last week, I found several very interesting golden Eggs in my garden. I started taking macro photos of them to see what will hatch. Therefor I used my 90mm macro lens and extension tubes, because
they were very very small. The longer I took images, the more I learned.
It was really an amazing week, watching those tiny, beautiful beetles growing and on the other hand learning a lot of the cruelty of nature... Have you ever found some of these eggs? Or some similar ones and watched how they evolved?
You can watch the whole story here:
View: https://youtu.be/7OK0zVIqvhM

I documented a cluster of Large White Butterfly eggs develop and hatch in the 1980s. IIRC some were used in a school text book a few years later.

Very nicely done, I can appreciate the technical skills involved here too. The video sections show how difficult it can be to try keep up with live insects and also the insanely shallow DOF you have to work with.

I'm always fascinated when shooting macro, even just in my own garden, there's a whole other world of mayhem ongoing. I've not gotten anything quite as interesting as this, especially on video , but I did come across some spider eggs last year on a plant in the garden. Just as I was setting up to get some macro shots of the nest the eggs exploded right in front of me - not sure if I triggered this, they opened early in defence maybe as I got too close? to scramble to safety? But I did manage a couple of quick shots of them before they scattered completely - these were only a couple of mm each too

Baby arachnids gone wild! by K G, on Flickr

Gave your vid a like on YT and subbed also, there's a few vids on there I think I'd enjoy, cheers

Last edited:
Wow, these look REALLY interesting. Are you doing a timelapse or how will you catch the moment of hatching?

Hi Jens, nothing as elaborate as your post i'm afraid. - I will just check them during the coming days and hope to be there at the right time...........if the next image is a lot of empty cases, then you will know that I got it wrong!

Last edited:
Back