What would be a good portable lighting set up

A couple of Godox TT685 and a X1T trigger.
Manfrotto 1052 or nano ( smaller lighter cheaper less load) light stands
Manfrotto umbrella adapters
A reflector
Two convertible umbrellas

To me and my requirements thats a good portable setup.

Or you could..........

Last edited by a moderator:
:D

A couple of Godox TT685 and a X1T trigger.
If you find these are to slow recharging for next flash the W860II offers faster shooting for around double the price. Next up I'd say the AD series but beyond AD200 they are not that portable anymore.
Manfrotto 1052 or nano ( smaller lighter cheaper less load) light stands
Manfrotto umbrella adapters
At least get a good quality light stand. They'll last you a lifetime, are less hazle to put up and take down and won't likely break down and cost you a new flash, modifier or ensurance claim.
The Godox S-bracket is also a very interesting solution able to hold an 180cm Westcott that the Manfrotto struggle with.
A reflector
Two convertible umbrellas

To me and my requirements thats a good portable setup.

Or you could..........
The Rogue flashbender XL system is also very portable fun to work with though it doesn't offer quite as soft quality light as a regular softbox or umbrella.
Going for soft- or strip boxes get the grids right away.

The crux is, for outside, it depends how much power you really want and if you're prepared to pay for it.

Received wisdom is that you'll need 600Ws to 'overpower' midday sun.

That's either one 600Ws head, a couple of 360's, 3 200's or 6 general purpose speedlights.

If you are happy to reduce your need to 'fill' in bright sun, you can use a speedlight.

But my advice would be to go for at least a Godox AD200 as a flexible start point.

You'll also need a stand, and a softbox and bracket. You can get away with an umbrella, but as a first light modifier, a softbox is the easiest option.

Last edited:
Deleted cant get links to work.

totaly new hobbie would be indoor and out People

Before you buy anything get the chance to play with similar to see if it meets your needs, unfortunately you asked one of those how long is a piece of string questions and they are difficult to answer but @Phil V is somebody I generally agree with in that he gives answers based on experience.

Mike

Back