What would live in a place like this?

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
What do you reckon? Fox, badger, a killer rabbit (the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on)

I was thinking they look like paw prints at first, but my dog was sniffing around it and who knows how many dog before:thinking: :LOL:

I'd hazard a guess at Fox. It's difficult to tell the scale though, from the pics.

Where is it (roughly) located? Woods, river, housing estate etc?

I'll put this in the 'Talk Nature' forum, should get a decent response in there. (y)

Last edited:
I'd hazard a guess at Fox. It's difficult to tell the scale though, from the pics.

Where is it (roughly) located? Woods, river, housing estate etc?

I'll put this in the 'Talk Nature' forum, should get a decent response in there. (y)
Thanks.

in some woodland (Kent)

and a collie cross cocker could put its head in the hole

Last edited:
First guess would be badger, because of the bank. Can't see the shape of the opening.
Foxes mark their territory, so if the dogs were sniffing a lot around the nearby area, it could indicate foxes though.

Badger has 5 toes and it doesn't look like 5 toe-marks so my guess is Fox which has 4 toes, but would need a clearer print view to be more sure.

I'd also guess at fox over badger or bunny.

Badger has 5 toes and it doesn't look like 5 toe-marks so my guess is Fox which has 4 toes, but would need a clearer print view to be more sure.
How many does a dog have?

Phone is 6 & half inches tall.

I may as well show this as I took it, but i would be surprised if it wasn’t a dogs print.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure now, the hole looks more Badger like. Potentially the claw marks too.

You should see more than one hole typically with Badger. A trailcam would confirm, if you have access to one of course and it can be left there safely.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure now, the hole looks more Badger like. Potentially the claw marks too.

You should see more than one hole typically with Badger. A trailcam would confirm, if you have access to one of course and it can be left there safely.
I don’t own one, but I’ve been thinking about it. I know nothing about them. I’d need one that doesnt show an on light though as those woods get used by dog walkers and kids being teenagers.

Always a risk leaving one out. Not a chance I often take.

My guess is it was dug by a fox. The youngsters of last year will have been chucked out of the family group around November to December and have to find their own homes and mates. They are naive and don't rsally know what they are doing. Sometimes my customers ask me to deal with new holes in bankings or under sheds. It is usually this time of year and foxes are the culprits. I just collapse the tunnel after making sure that the fox isn't still inside. They go elsewhere.

Back