What would you do? Sigma 50-500

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

FP, BTW, so hi! Been lurking for a while.

Bought (£550) a 2nd-hand 50-500mm a few days back from a business, which was advertised as 'excellent, 'no issues' yadda yadda.

Anywho, on arrival, it's certainly not 'excellent'. There's a few scuffs on the tripod mount and the body, which on their own don't bother me apart from not being told about them beforehand.

Anyway, the main issue is that the lens bag has clearly been stored in a damp environment - it smells damp, and you can see signs of mould in the fabric. The lens smells too - I can't tell if the smell is damp or cigarette smoke though! :thinking: Bearing in mind the case has definitely been stored poorly, I'm worried about (whispers) fungus. Apart from a reasonable amount of dust within the front element, I can't see any signs.

I got in touch with the seller who has offered a full return & refund or a 1yr warranty. Is a year long enough for any problems to surface?

Anyway, having written this, I think I know what I'll do, but wanted the opinions of others!

Cheers (y)
Jon

Take the refund, no question.

Agreed - refund.

If the seller knew about the condition of the lens, but was economical with the truth, how much can you trust the 1 year warranty - would it be honoured??

Would agree with the above, it maybe the case has been stored in that environment and not used, but it's bothering you now (totally understandably) and personally would continue to be a worry for me - and we are taking a substantial amount of money (hopefully, nothing will happen, but the 12 month warrenty is only any good if they are still in business, if / when this needs to be called on):thinking:

Yeah this was pretty much the decision I was coming too as I wrote out the post.

Agreed - refund.

If the seller knew about the condition of the lens, but was economical with the truth, how much can you trust the 1 year warranty - would it be honoured??

Well, they're saying they effectively drop-shipped the lens, and simply gave the condition given to them, and they didn't see it at all.

Jeník;1625561 said:
Well, they're saying they effectively drop-shipped the lens, and simply gave the condition given to them, and they didn't see it at all.

So they don't really know the history / condition etc of the lens = send it back (y)

So not even a token defence of the warranty option :LOL: Thanks all that's pretty much what I'd decided anyway. (y) Shame as it seemed like a good price!

Jeník;1625831 said:
So not even a token defence of the warranty option :LOL: Thanks all that's pretty much what I'd decided anyway. (y) Shame as it seemed like a good price!
Another will come along similar price pretty soon! I bought mine last year for bargain £380.00 new in box on Ebay (UK) so there are bargains to be had.
Once your ready to buy another have a look round forums into wildlife/bird/sports photography there's usually someone selling one. They are great lenses and I have its big brother too (Sigmonster) although that's a bit heavy to lug around loL

Another will come along similar price pretty soon! I bought mine last year for bargain £380.00 new in box on Ebay (UK) so there are bargains to be had.
Once your ready to buy another have a look round forums into wildlife/bird/sports photography there's usually someone selling one. They are great lenses and I have its big brother too (Sigmonster) although that's a bit heavy to lug around loL

Now that seems like a good deal (for you!)!

The OH is already raising an eyebrow about the gear so I think I'm gong to have to keep things under the radar for a while - don't think the Sigmonster would count as under the radar :LOL:

I was thinking of selling my 50-500, now this one really is excellent, I've only used it very very occassionally. As I now almost exclusively shoot people it doesn't really fit with what I shoot, its been in its bag and box since last september just looking at it now on the shelf. Its always been well cared for, kept in a dry, clean (non-smokers) house.

If you'd like to take it off my hands make me an offer.

Best regards
Frank

I was thinking of selling my 50-500, now this one really is excellent, I've only used it very very occassionally. As I now almost exclusively shoot people it doesn't really fit with what I shoot, its been in its bag and box since last september just looking at it now on the shelf. Its always been well cared for, kept in a dry, clean (non-smokers) house.

If you'd like to take it off my hands make me an offer.

Best regards
Frank

Thanks for that I might be in touch in a bit, just need sort things out.

was joking TBF

I guessed :) On a totally unrelated note, I do have a mint 50-500 for sale if anyone's interested?! ;)

Back