What would you do to this photo

Edit My Images
Yes
A while ago I went for an outing and took a few snaps, only just got my film developed.

With this particular photo I wish it had been color but I only had b and w loaded...so made do.

Onto editing, I am stumpted. It needs a little something, but what?

CNV00011 (1)
by Kabooi, on Flickr

I put it into Lightroom - the file you posted is a little small for doing much to it, but I think it was improved by cropping it to something like this for a start

View attachment 1288

I think that the trees at the edges were distracting, and the sky/reflection a little too dominating. This crop also puts the main tree off to a thirds intersection.

Thanks very much for all your help,im pretty new to lightroom! I think the thing that is bothering me is that sky. it's boring and flat (it was at the time) but I do like the fact the tree is centrel, it was the look I was going for :D

I just dont know what to do about that damn sky.

You can dodge/burn the sky to add some detail/interest, but you're pretty much committing yourself to also dodge/burning the reflection to match, which would be . . . tricky :D

You could try adding a graduated filter from top to bottom, and then another from bottom to top to match, though - much easier. Something like this (I also split-toned it, just to see if it helped the bright sky)

View attachment 1289

(the Flickr image itself is "private" to me, so I had to use the small version hotlinked here)

You can dodge/burn the sky to add some detail/interest, but you're pretty much committing yourself to also dodge/burning the reflection to match, which would be . . . tricky :D

You could try adding a graduated filter from top to bottom, and then another from bottom to top to match, though - much easier. Something like this (I also split-toned it, just to see if it helped the bright sky)

View attachment 1289

(the Flickr image itself is "private" to me, so I had to use the small version hotlinked here)

Okay, so, for the newbie to lightroom here, i've got the grad filter up, but dont know where to go from here in how to make it less flat. I have decided, despite not wanting it in black and white, it will stay that way as I dont want to edit too much (it is film after all :D ) and with the grad filter, there are so many options and I dont know how to do it...ha

Choose the Graduated Filter tool ("M" key in the develop module). You should get sliders on the right-hand side. Slide exposure to -1 or so. Put your mouse at the top of the image, left-click and hold, drag down to the middle of the image, and let go. Now click-and-hold at the bottom, drag up to the middle, and let go. You now have two graduated filters mirroring each other. You can adjust the exposure slider to get the effect you want, and click "done". (You can also select the filters and move them around to get an idea of what happens)

I really like the way it is, I would just knock a little off the bottom. Or rather I would crop some of the lake and add some sky at the top. Just to drop the horizon line a little. I'd also remove the reeds in the water. Other than that, perfect.

Back