What would YOU do?

Edit My Images
Yes
Okay...I bought a new 70-200 VR off ebay, now there's nothing wrong with the lens, it's the seller I'm a bit wary of.....

As it turned out to be a grey import I asked the seller to confirm that it was covered by a Nikon warranty and he said it was as he was a Nikon Authorised dealer. This would be fine, except the seller is registered in the US and the lens was shipped from the UK. The seller offered to send me a sales invoice to prove I had bought it in the UK from him. So far so good. Then the invoice arrives.....

The email address and website address on the receipt don't exist, there is no vat number (despite the seller having sold hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of gear on Ebay) and there is no shop address. So I email the seller and he responds that he is a US Nikon Authorised dealer, but he had bought the lens in the UK, from another UK dealer who had imported it from the US, so there was no VAT involved in the transaction :thinking:

Now this, plainly, is nonsense. If a trader buys legitimate goods from another bona fide dealer who has imported it legallyinto the UK it is highly unlikely that VAT won't be involved in the transaction and even if there wasn't VAT at the point of purchase (again, highly unlikely) there will still be one at the time of retail sale.

The seller has offered me a refund, as I am considering returning the goods under the Distance Selling Regulations, however I notice the seller states that refunds are subject to a 15% restocking fee if returned with in 7 days (not the 7 working days that the law prescribes), which is against the law.

My quandry is if I return this item what do you reckon the chances of getting a full refund are? I have paid by credit card via Paypal, so I suppose I could dispute the payment if he starts any nonsense (which I get the feeling he will) and let him argue the toss with Visa,Paypal,Ebay (as he is breaking umpteen of their rules of trading) and if it comes to it HMRC, but is it worth the hassle, or should I just chalk it up to experience and hope that I don't have any issues with the customs if I take the lens out of the country at any time?

What would YOU do?

Difficult one for sure i would be tempted to request a full refund and if he pays up forget about it, if he doesn't calls to HMRC and Nikon (if he is a registered trader) might be in order.

The seller seems quite keen now to give me a full refund and pay the return shipping and arrange collection etc,etc, I wonder if that had anything to do with mentioning HMRC and the VAT position? :LOL:

I would inform eBay, PayPal and your card issuer and file their replies. If anything goes wrong take a stab at each of them. The FSA Ombudsman services got me a satisfactory result a while ago, but it's the OFT now, for dealing with credit card companies:
http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/money_and_credit/bought-on-credit/

Fleabay will quickly close down traders, though I'm not sure how much of a deterrent that is.

One of the main sellers of Sigma 10-20's a couple of years ago was having them sent from Dubai. The scant contact details were highly suspicious. For all I know it could've been an operation to fund terrorism.

Last edited:
i think this highlights that if you want cheap gear, its not likely to be UK stock, there are countless shops on ebay that are from hong kong, america etc. Bottom line is, if you want uk warrenty, buy from the uk and pay the extra.

Who is the seller? I avoid Grey for this reason.

I don't mind buying "Grey" if I've asked the question, but I certainly would not pay the price I assume you've paid (£1049?) if its come via the back door as Nikon UK won't touch it so you'll be left with a "seller warranty" - which is only as good as long as the seller is around... and by the sounds of it, if they are shady it won't be long.

Take the refund, and just wait until more stock comes into the UK.

Who is the seller? I avoid Grey for this reason.

I don't mind buying "Grey" if I've asked the question, but I certainly would not pay the price I assume you've paid (£1049?) if its come via the back door as Nikon UK won't touch it so you'll be left with a "seller warranty" - which is only as good as long as the seller is around... and by the sounds of it, if they are shady it won't be long.

Take the refund, and just wait until more stock comes into the UK.

I can't name the seller at the moment. for obvious reasons ;)

Actually it cost the same price as buying a UK one, but there were no UK ones about, and needs must :shake:

I checked with Nikon UK, although I get the feeling I was speaking to someone in a call centre in India :shrug:, and I was told that Nikon UK would honour the warranty in the event of a claim, but saying and doing are two entirely different things.....

My feeling was they would, like Sigma, only honour the warranty if the import duty had been paid and the seller's reluctance to provide a VAT invoice suggests that it hasn't.

I guess I'll just order one a UK one and wait........and wait.......and wait........:bang:

Any luck with them? I assume the seller starts with an A and ends with 505?

i'd lend you the 80-200 but i'm going to be using it soon :p

if theres any particular point at which you need it though let me know and i'll see if we can work something out

i'd lend you the 80-200 but i'm going to be using it soon :p

if theres any particular point at which you need it though let me know and i'll see if we can work something out

:razz: I'll Survive (considers bursting into song:exit:)

As long as I get my money back without having to go looking for it I'll be happy :bang:

I checked with Nikon UK, although I get the feeling I was speaking to someone in a call centre in India :shrug:, and I was told that Nikon UK would honour the warranty in the event of a claim, but saying and doing are two entirely different things.....

My feeling was they would, like Sigma, only honour the warranty if the import duty had been paid and the seller's reluctance to provide a VAT invoice suggests that it hasn't.

I guess I'll just order one a UK one and wait........and wait.......and wait........:bang:

I know that Canon's L range come with an international warranty unlike their consumer lenses. I've read several posts from owners of Canon L lenses that they've bought from Kerso that have been serviced/repaired under warranty by Canon UK without issue.

Although Kerso will provide a receipt there's no mention of VAT on it. Having said that, it's arguable that the trader may not sell enough to have to register and so a receipt doesn't necessarily have to show any amount for VAT? :thinking: Without any feedback from other togs that have bought abroad and presented their lens to Nikon for any warranty work it's unfortunately to know what will happen

Having said all of the above it sounds like a lot of hassle for an item you've paid full UK price for and so in your postion I would accept the full refund and look elsewhere for a more reliable seller and accept the additonal delay in obtaining it.

I agree, it is entirely possible that the seller may not sell enough lenses and cameras to break the VAT threshold, which is just over £5000 of sales a month, but I doubt it, given that a lot are in the £3000+ price range. However, his "agent" has another business and I'm sure the combined turnover must at least meet the the minimum amount that requires VAT registration....

Back