What would you recommend ? Canon 40d v D300 or something else ?

What would you recommend ?

• Canon 40d

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Nikon D300

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Other... Please specify

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
Edit My Images
Yes
What would you recommend ? Canon 40d v D300 or something else ?

My other half is wanting to get more into photography with me .

She currently has a canon 350d with a kit lens , but it hasn't had much use as she doesn't like using the viewfinder.

She's looking to get a new camera... the main uses will be

• Taking pictures of buildings outside and inside (Churches and urban exploring etc)
  • Zoos
  • Animals

But the main must is it MUST have liveview

Not wanting to drop a bomb on kit as she can always upgrade later if she decides she enjoys it.

So looking for something that can be had around £150 with a lens

I've suggested either the canon 40d with the 18-55 IS or STM for now , or the Nikon D300 with the 18-55VR
new lenses can be added down the line , and don't mind starting off with a cheaper lens as again , she's only just getting into it and is unlikely to see the difference at this stage, but can always upgrade down the line if she does take a fancy to it.

Open to any system , and willing to hear recommendations.

You could just about get a Canon M with a 18-55mm for that money. Compact mirrorless body with good live view and better sensor than the 40D. If she enjoys it then add an adapter for ef-s lenses or sell the lot and start again.

I'd go for mirrorless too but would suggest something like a Sony A5000/5100. If your other half wants to shoot at the zoo, an 18-55 isn't going to give any more reach than a mobile phone. With the Sony mirrorless you'll have the same APS-C size sensor as the Canon kit (but better low light performance) and can use similar adaptors to mount pretty much any manual lens from the last century (or Canon lenses with AF if you like). I used to use a Tokina 80-200 that cost me £10 on my old NEX5 at the zoo and it delivered good results considering it's price.

Sony NEX - Tokina 80-200 F4 / OM Zuiko 50 F1.4 by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Sony NEX - Tokina 80-200 F4 / OM Zuiko 50 F1.4 by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

If you can stretch to a d7000 they were so good. I owned one twice and will get another some day to keep in the car full time

Out of those two options I would have the D300 all day long for the AF. The 51 point AF on the D300 is very good. It also has a 100% viewfinder which is nice. :)

I would try and get the D300S for a little bit more Fps, and the two card slots. SD cards are cheaper to get. That said, both of those cameras will be a big increase in size and weight compared to the 350D. If that has not been considered it could come as a shock and disincentive to use for some. That highlights something else, which does she feel more comfortable holding, if she has had a chance to. The only reason I got a D70 way back when was because the 350D was too small, and my knuckles rubbed the lens. It was the better camera of the two.

The D300 does not have any scene modes and no Auto mode. I think Nikon assumed those buying that level of camera knew what they were doing. ;-) lol

If the size and weight were an issue then I would look at the Nikon D7100, you get double the pixels, same 51 point AF, same 6 fps, better Dynamic Range, better high ISO performance, 100% viewfinder in a smaller (though not as comfortable for me ;-)) lighter body. How far a used one of those is beyond your budget I don't know.

The D300/S were the cameras that felt most comfortable in my hand, and even with some the benefits the D7***'s had over the D300S I was never tempted by them, and was indeed seriously considering the Canon 7DII as the best replacement for the D300S for me. Thankfully the D500 came out just in time. :-D The D500 is not quite as comfortable, but still nice. Comfort means a lot. :)

Just some musings. Hopefully others will add some more.

Ok update, she doesn't like the look of the mirrorless cameras, so they will be a no .

D300 wins over 40D any day.

For anyone starting out actually most of these bodies from 2007+ will represent a very good entry level kit.

The question you want to ask yourself more is whether they will be thrown around or get wet in the rain. That nikon still comes out on top over canon there.

Is it viewfinders in general that aren't liked, or just the one on the 350D, and is liveview going to be the primary means of taking photos?

Is it viewfinders in general that aren't liked, or just the one on the 350D, and is liveview going to be the primary means of taking photos?

And I will add to that there are awful and great viewfinders - 40D being somewhere down the middle and 350D awful. Also, there is really no taking photos handheld via live view with any dSLR of that vintage or even far more newer and expensive 5D mark III for that matter.

Live view is mainly useful on tripod as a softer mirror release option, and in newer models - also adds level indicator critical for real estate and so on.

I've suggested either the canon 40d with the 18-55 IS or STM for now , or the Nikon D300 with the 18-55VR

Be careful of the version if you want to use the 18-55VR on the D300 - I don't think the most recent AF-P lens is compatible, though the older AF-S should be fine.

I didn't read the original post thoroughly, and this is a very good question.

If Liveview is the means of taking the majority of photos then a mirrorless camera would be better as they are designed to focus in that way, whereas the great AF on the DSLR's will be wasted in that mode unless you choose the option for the mirror to flip down to use the phase AF, which cuts the Liveview off while doing it. Because DSLR's of this vintage were amongst the first to off LV, the AF in that mode is very slow. It was much later that the Nikon's got a bit better, and the Canon's got a lot better. ;-)

I only used the LV on the D300S when doing landscapes on a tripod, were the AF though slow, was very accurate.

Using any DSLR, but particularly the two initially mentioned, would not be ideal and quickly become very tiring with the extra size and weight with arms ou in front. Camera shake could be a problem, as unlike most mirrorless cameras which have shake reduction built into the sensor, any shake reduction needs to be built into the lens for Canon and Nikon. The D300 is 825g, almost 1kg, held out in front to use the LV will feel even heavier after awhile. :-( ;-)

If the viewfinder is not being used because it is poor on the 350D, then the D300/S was a huge improvement and probably the best on a crop sensor camera.

There are a lot of options out there, figure what is needed, and why, and the options may diminish a bit. ;-)

I can't see why, if you don't use a viewfinder, a mirrorless camera would be out of the question..? :thinking:

And although the D300 has live view on paper it is so slow as to be not worth using, the reality is if you want live view on a DSLR it needs to be a modern camera with good live view (I think the newer Canons or the Sony SLT cameras have the better implementation).

In general , she prefers to use Liveview.

I didn't read the original post thoroughly, and this is a very good question.

If Liveview is the means of taking the majority of photos then a mirrorless camera would be better as they are designed to focus in that way, whereas the great AF on the DSLR's will be wasted in that mode unless you choose the option for the mirror to flip down to use the phase AF, which cuts the Liveview off while doing it. Because DSLR's of this vintage were amongst the first to off LV, the AF in that mode is very slow. It was much later that the Nikon's got a bit better, and the Canon's got a lot better. ;-)

I only used the LV on the D300S when doing landscapes on a tripod, were the AF though slow, was very accurate.

Using any DSLR, but particularly the two initially mentioned, would not be ideal and quickly become very tiring with the extra size and weight with arms ou in front. Camera shake could be a problem, as unlike most mirrorless cameras which have shake reduction built into the sensor, any shake reduction needs to be built into the lens for Canon and Nikon. The D300 is 825g, almost 1kg, held out in front to use the LV will feel even heavier after awhile. :-( ;-)

If the viewfinder is not being used because it is poor on the 350D, then the D300/S was a huge improvement and probably the best on a crop sensor camera.

There are a lot of options out there, figure what is needed, and why, and the options may diminish a bit. ;-)

She just prefers looking at the screen , rather than through the viewfinder.
She's tried my 60D which is a much better viewfinder than the 350d but she can't get on with it

I can't see why, if you don't use a viewfinder, a mirrorless camera would be out of the question..? :thinking:

And although the D300 has live view on paper it is so slow as to be not worth using, the reality is if you want live view on a DSLR it needs to be a modern camera with good live view (I think the newer Canons or the Sony SLT cameras have the better implementation).

Preaching to the choir , I use a viewfinder and only ever used liveview when shooting video , frankly I can't stand it .
But she doesn't like the look/shape of the mirrorless cameras, and wants a traditional DSLR.

She just prefers looking at the screen , rather than through the viewfinder.
But I thought you said that much of the photography she wants to do is likely to be outdoors?

One thing I absolutely hate about phone cameras and point-and-click cameras is that on a bright sunny day they are unusable. Is that not a factor in her deliberations?

D300 was my starter camera that I sold when I purchased a Nikon D7100 and D7200. Totally regret letting it go. Agree that D7000 good option if you could stretch to it :)

In general , she prefers to use Liveview.
In that case older DSLRs will be a bit of a pain. Older mirrorless cameras have much better liveview than DSLRs of the same age. There are mirrorless cameras that look like DSLRs - Panasonic G series for example.

If your other half is more worried about what the camera looks like than she is about the image quality or ease of use? Get whatever she thinks looks best.

The SLR/DSLR format evolved to where it is because it works as tool for a range of photography applications. This has evolved over the last ten years or so to include live-view mirrorless functionality, which is really useful at times. On the 40D I think there is a version of Magic Lantern that provides video capture, though I haven't used it myself.

IMHO routinely using a DSLR as a mirrorless via live view for still photography, defeats the object of having a DSLR in the first place. They are heavier and much more bulky than a true mirrorless camer and holding them away from your body leads to a much less stable platform. Others may not have this problem, but when I've put long lenses on my EOS-M, I find it more difficult to drop onto and track the subject than I do with the same lens on a DSLR body and using the optical viewfinder system.

Anyway, each to their own I guess. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back