What would you sell?

squizza

Eeyore
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

Financial circumstances mean that I have to sell a piece of my equipment. Once I graduate I want to pursue a career in wildlife and nature photography. However, for reasons above, I need money.

What would you sell. This is the equipment I have..

Canon 50D
17-50mm 2.8
105mm macro - which i use for butterfly and bug photography
70-200 L f4 IS USM
300mm L f4 IS USM
1.4x L extender

The decision to be made is between the

70-200 or the 300mm

Such a difficult decision!

Many thanks for advice!

Sarah

If you sold both and bought a cheaper Sigma that covered most of that range would that help?

I think i would sell the 300, you have more scope with the 70-200, but it realy deepends which you use the most

Ironically the 300 hasn't been off the camera since I got it! Which is why its such a hard decision. The 70-200 covers a good range, which is why its a scary prospect...lol :D Actually I can't have used the 70-200 since August...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and you might just know someone with canon gear to sell soon! :)

Will you be doing any butterfly/bug shots in the next 4-5 months?
Would you be in a financial position to get another by maybe June, if you sell the 105?

That's a shame, I've had three and they have all been great :)

Unfortunately I don't have anything that focal length to sell! My longest lens is the 70-200.

Will you be doing any butterfly/bug shots in the next 4-5 months?
Would you be in a financial position to get another by maybe June, if you sell the 105?

The problem is I need around £700 - so if I sold the 105mm I'd still need a good 500 of it.

That's a shame, I've had three and they have all been great :)

Unfortunately I don't have anything that focal length to sell! My longest lens is the 70-200.

Personally I've never had problems with Sigma, I've had the 105 which I woudn't replace in a million years and I loved my 10-20mm but because I love of wildlife I hardly used it.

Is there nothing else you can flog?
Snooker table, car, bike, clothes, get on ebay and sell all your old crap. People will buy it.
Any old gold you don't wear?

Erm might not be the answer you was after, but if you sold the 300/4 then you have 300/5.6 from the 70-200 with 1.4x TC, I know you are losing one stop of light in the process, but you are still keeping the 300mm but at the same time keeping the flexibilitiy of the 70-200.

Might be the better option, then once funds have increased maybe go for the 300/4 or even if you can later on get the 300/2.8

Hope that helps
Jamie

Erm might not be the answer you was after, but if you sold the 300/4 then you have 300/5.6 from the 70-200 with 1.4x TC, I know you are losing one stop of light in the process, but you are still keeping the 300mm but at the same time keeping the flexibilitiy of the 70-200.

Might be the better option, then once funds have increased maybe go for the 300/4 or even if you can later on get the 300/2.8

Hope that helps
Jamie

Hmmmmmm worth considering!

sell the wide stuff, if you do wildlife nature you wont use it a lot

Sell the two longer lenses and get a 120-300 secondhand Siggy.Though as I don`t know the value of your existing kit,that advice may be as much use as a chocolate fireguard...............:bang:

i would sell both the 70 - 200 and the 300. maybe save up a bit and when you have the chance and get a 70 - 200 f2.8. i love my 70 - 200 f2.8, very much worth it!

I know its not what you posted but if your in wildlife surely the 17-50 is going to be next to useless?

Well Sarah, forced with a decision like that I would be tempted to sell the 50D and the 1.4 :shrug: The 50D is going to drop in price quicker than the L glass. Buy yourself an old EOS-xxxx which will allow you to keep clicking away. Just a thought :thinking:

Well Sarah, forced with a decision like that I would be tempted to sell the 50D and the 1.4 :shrug: The 50D is going to drop in price quicker than the L glass. Buy yourself an old EOS-xxxx which will allow you to keep clicking away. Just a thought :thinking:

He beat me to it.
Sell the body ( camera body :D) and keep the glass.
The body will be worth sweeties in a few years but the glass will keep it's value.

^ Have to agree, bodies just lose money like cars but lenses stay pretty much at the same level. Sorry to hear about your circumstances why not try and do a car boot?

I think I would sell the 70-200mm and the 300mm and the extender and replace with the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS. I would also consider replacing the 50D with a secondhand 40D. If that doesn't raise enough then replace the the 17-50mm with a 50mm f1.8

Back