Beginner What's a good option for a budget travel tripod which Folds down very small and is light weight?

Edit My Images
Yes
My budget is £50.

Needs to weigh less than 1kg, has to fold very small to fit in a day bag / for flight carry on luggage.

It does not need to be the sturdiest just get the job done really.

Can anyone recommend something which would fit this criteria please?

Thanks!

Tonnes of light tripods out there. Depends on your needs. How tall do you want it? What will be the max load you'll use?

A gorillapod might do the trick. The slr ones might cost a fair bit over your budget to include a ballhead though.

I just bought this here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D76RNLS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Couldn't be lighter or tidier, and it holds my Xt-1 with a 55-200 lens comfortably. It'll actually hold above the suggested 1KG load, I have a macro lens that weights 1.2KG, and it holds that no problem with camera, so long as I attach to the lens collar.

Cons: You'll need to use a wall for landscapes or a table indoors a lot of the time, it's less than a foot tall. Great for low ground work though

Only slightly more than 1kg, three legged thing punks, I have the Aluminium one, very compact and goes surprisingly high. The CF one weighs about 200g less. Just over a foot long when collapsed.

His budget is only £50 though, 3LT pods are pricey enough

Tonnes of light tripods out there. Depends on your needs. How tall do you want it? What will be the max load you'll use?

A gorillapod might do the trick. The slr ones might cost a fair bit over your budget to include a ballhead though.

I just bought this here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D76RNLS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Couldn't be lighter or tidier, and it holds my Xt-1 with a 55-200 lens comfortably. It'll actually hold above the suggested 1KG load, I have a macro lens that weights 1.2KG, and it holds that no problem with camera, so long as I attach to the lens collar.

Cons: You'll need to use a wall for landscapes or a table indoors a lot of the time, it's less than a foot tall. Great for low ground work though
Needs to be for portraits + night photography and it only needs to hold a lightweight mirrorless camera with kit lens :)

Thanks for your help

You'll get something like a TrekTech or Gorillapod within you budget, but they need something to attach to in order to work the way you want.

3LT and Sirui have better options but at almost twice your budget.

I purchased a Gorillapod Hybrid last year to pack small and light as carry-on luggage. Works well as both a table top tripod or wrapped around railings, ladders, backs of chairs, etc.

For mirrorless or small DSLRs it is pretty stable even with kit zooms attached. Comes with a quick release plate to attach to the camera and a perfectly adequate ball head (with build in spirit level).

Available for £25 online, which makes them good value in my opinion.

If you can get one on sale or 2nd hand I'm using a velbon ultra maxi L. I've used various manfrotto including their be free range and I am really impressed with weight, compactness/maximum height, ease of use for price compared to the manfrotto. However if it's cold you'll possibly need to tape the upper part or wear gloves as the tubing has no cover on it! Also check load capacity as this will have a bearing on what you use.

Last edited:
However if it's cold you'll possibly need to tape the upper part or wear gloves as the tubing has no cover on it!

Try pipe insulation from a DIY store, works a treat in cold weather.

I had a similar quandry, I wanted a travel tripod for very occasional use and flying with just hand luggage. I went for a Velbon EX-Macro, not to worried about the low height as I can use the Oylmpus phone app to take pictures if needed.

Trouble is it's in the house, but I wont be seeing it for another month, so can't really coment on it yet.

Back