What's a must see or do in Wales

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Last year I asked for advice on out first ever visit to Scotland other than football or ice hockey matches never going much higher than Glasgow.. Had one of the best holidays ever... really enjoyed it..and as i posted thats mostly thanks to the input i got from here... helped a lot to have some reccomended places to visit and wing the rest of it..

So.. we havent seen much of wales.. have done the north Llandudno and all that area...and have been to cardiff..

the plan is down the middle looking for big waterfalls and the valleys and a decent castle trip?. the south and then back up the coast, ending at snowden on the last day to go on the train up/down... going last week in june..

Again it's a driving holiday.. a lot just didn't get it with the scotland trip :) I intend to do a lot of driving and spend anything from an hr to a day depending where we stop...

Any reccomendations?

Study the tide times and visit the petrified forest on the beach at low tide in Borth.

The Elan Valley for me.

For beaches / countryside, Pembrokeshire and the Gower are great.
Dunraven Bay is a strikingly photogenic beach, but make sure you get the tides right, there is a 10m+ tidal range there.

For beaches / countryside, Pembrokeshire and the Gower are great.
Dunraven Bay is a strikingly photogenic beach, but make sure you get the tides right, there is a 10m+ tidal range there.

Three Cliffs Bay is stunning.

why not make a list of all the castles and make that into a project ,both english and welsh you could enter from the north via the A55 and i can think of several that can be done close together ,i.e ewloe,flint,rhuddlan ,conway buemaris,caernarvon,cricceith harlech .you get the idea that route will also take in lots of mountains ,valleys ,waterfalls and places of interest theres portmeirion along the same route as well as snowdon and the snowdonia national park ,then follow it down along the coast to aberwyswth and cut inland from there to rhyader for the red kites and the élan valley then on to the brecon beacons .hows that for starters

Study the tide times and visit the petrified forest on the beach at low tide in Borth.

Never heard of that before and it hasnt come up in searches of visit wales... thanks thats going on the list 100% sure :)

Last edited:
why not make a list of all the castles and make that into a project ,both english and welsh

Its all about seeing parts of britain we have never seen before. as apposed to specifics... to be honest one good big castle will do :)

you could enter from the north via the A55 and i can think of several that can be done close together ,i.e ewloe,flint,rhuddlan ,conway buemaris,caernarvon,cricceith harlech .you get the idea that route will also take in lots of mountains ,valleys ,waterfalls and places of interest theres portmeirion along the same route as well as snowdon and the snowdonia national park ,then follow it down along the coast to aberwyswth and cut inland from there to rhyader for the red kites and the élan valley then on to the brecon beacons .hows that for starters

another vote for elan valley.. going to google all you have put now thanks :)

Looked into Elan Valley ..Looks good and i especialy like the "Elan Valley Estate achieves International Dark Sky Park status"

So far..and not in order

1) Pistyll Rhaeadr Powys SY10 0BZ (UK tallest single drop waterfall) http://www.pistyllrhaeadr.co.uk/

2) Train up/Down Snowden https://www.snowdonrailway.co.uk/

3) Petrified forest, Borth http://www.ceredigioncoastpath.org.uk/submerged.html

4) Elan Valley (Dark Sky Park) http://www.elanvalley.org.uk/
4a) Devils Bridge ttp://devilsbridgefalls.co.uk/

Last edited:
If you're heading as far as the coast on your trip South, I really like Merthyr Mawr for a day out.

Very picturesque little (read tiny) village but the church and churchyard are beautiful and worth a look.
You can park up and take a walk over to Ogmore Castle and cross the river over the stepping stones which has some good photo ops. Managing expectations here - it's neither a particularly big nor particularly intact castle but it is pretty.
Then drive down to the main carpark for the sand-dunes and take a walk over the dunes down to the sea.

It might not be your cup of tea, but if I was going to make a full day of it and cram a lot in I'd also book a 2 hour trek with Ogmore riding school to give my legs a rest and take in some horse riding along the beach and through the countryside.

Last edited:
If you're heading as far as the coast on your trip South, I really like Merthyr Mawr for a day out.

Very picturesque little (read tiny) village but the church and churchyard are beautiful and worth a look.
You can park up and take a walk over to Ogmore Castle and cross the river over the stepping stones which has some good photo ops. Managing expectations here - it's neither a particularly big nor particularly intact castle but it is pretty.
Then drive down to the main carpark for the sand-dunes and take a walk over the dunes down to the sea.

It might not be your cup of tea, but if I was going to make a full day of it and cram a lot in I'd also book a 2 hour trek with Ogmore riding school to give my legs a rest and take in some horse riding along the beach and through the countryside.

Horse riding has long since been on my list of things to do.. bucket list or whatever its called.. .... Very NOT into churches or graveyards though.. thanks but will google rest of your suggestions now :)

Middle would be Elan Valley, Brecon Beacons. Waterfalls are the Brecon Beacons and Neath. South, my neck of the woods is Cardiff, Barry Island, Rhoose, Nash Point, Southerndown, Ogmore. Castles would be Caerphilly Castle, Cardiff, Castle Coch.

Stayed in B&B at barry island when we went to cardiff ...nice easy train in/out :) will look around those place ta :)

Horse riding has long since been on my list of things to do.. bucket list or whatever its called.. ....

Ogmore riding school is great and they cater for complete novices through to more experienced riders so definitely worth a look - and the route they take you on is stunning.
I suspect that you'd need to book in advance though.

Give the church a miss ;) but it's still a pretty area and you can wander for miles through Merthyr Mawr dunes without seeing another living person.

Ogmore riding school is great and they cater for complete novices through to more experienced riders so definitely worth a look - and the route they take you on is stunning.
I suspect that you'd need to book in advance though..

Aiming to book everyhting before end of this month.... Riding school looks good.. 40 quid for two hrs and its beach riding.. sounds reasonable price to me.. expected more to be honest.. thanks :) http://www.rideonthebeach.co.uk/index.html

Last week in June is a great time to visit Pembrokeshire. Should just about catch the Puffins on Skomer, and the lily ponds at Bosherston should be starting to display. All of the coastal path should be awash with wild flowers too. Tenby and Saint Davids are both pretty unique and very photogenic. Loads of accommodation which should be reasonably priced prior to the summer hordes arriving!

Yes prices where good around scotland for same week with prices near double the week after 1st week in July.. Last week in june is my only real quiet week before works gets mad again..

Got my puffin shot in Scotland which as a non nature photogrpaher I was quite pleased with.. Also got dolphins :)

puff2.jpg

dolphin.jpg

puffin1.JPG

Stayed in B&B at barry island when we went to cardiff ...nice easy train in/out :) will look around those place ta :)
Not aberthaw guest house by any chance? I live next door! :)

"Must see or do in Wales"? As your driving round, look at a map. If there's a minor road going to roughly the same place, TAKE IT! Turn off the A roads and take a chance. Might be crapp, but it might just give you the best views of your life.

Not aberthaw guest house by any chance? I live next door! :)

Long time ago.. too many overnights been and gone to recall :)

Ice cream in The Glandwr Cafe, Beddgelert, Snowdonia...:p

As mentioned the Pembrokeshire coast is worth a visit.

A visit to Pendine Sands is good for sunsets but the sands themselves are often used for "of-beat" motoring reasons.

Pendine has a history of land speed record events since the 1930s.

On my last visit, Land Rover were testing a new Range Rover engine on the sands, so they were doing high speed runs close to the pedestrian walkway. As they do not advertise these tests, I was the only person (apart from LR thenselves) shooting. The LR guys took no notice of me. The engie being tested sounded brilliant.

Steve

Last edited:
Talybont on Usk in the brecons lovely spot for waterfalls car park very close by so not a huge walk from the car. Quirky hotel to stay at nearby waterfalls stayed here twice for walking/photo weekends

http://www.craigynoscastle.com/

Henrhyd falls are 10 minutes away by car from the hotel fantastic waterfall that you can actually walk under

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=H...uKPRAhVG7IMKHfXpD5IQ_AUICSgC&biw=1280&bih=934

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...2&ved=0ahUKEwilw4TNtqPRAhUE5oMKHX8EBdwQsAQISg

Ice cream in The Glandwr Cafe, Beddgelert, Snowdonia...:p

My favourite Welsh ice cream is sub zero from tonypandy. Hasn't quite got as good views though. ;)

No, no, no - The home-made honey ice cream from The Hive in Aberaeron has to be the winner :p

Come to think of it, The Harbour Master is very nice for lunch / dinner too.
@KIPAX - There's not a lot to see or do in Aberaeron but you'll be passing it on the way back up the coast and if you plan to take in the Aberystwyth / Devil's Bridge area, it's a very pretty harbour town and a good place for a stopover.

Lots of good ideas above.

If you do go to Pendine you are also then only 15 mins away from Laughne, with picturesque castle, and Dylan Thomas' boathouse, writing shed, and the lovely Browns Hotel.

As well as St Fagan's, the Welsh museum service also operate Big Pit at Aberavon (also free) where you can take a cage underground to experience an authentic coal mine, often guided by retired ex miners. The whole heads of the valleys area whilst bleak and economically struggling, is full of fascinating industrial architecture and history, There is also a sort of beauty in the bleakness. Aberavon is also relatively close to nice foody towns like Abergavenny and Monmouth which make good overnight stops.

If you do go to Bosherston Ponds, wich are very nice & you may see otters BTW, theres a very nice beach a short walk between the first two ponds.

Also St Govan's church, which is built into the cliff face, is also very close by............you may need more time! :)

@rjbell I'm in Rhoose myself but know exactly where you are! You should pop along to Barry Camera Club, it's down the road from you ;)

One place not mentioned yet AND they have great ice-cream is the Mumbles Swansea. Verdi's ice cream :cool:

Merthyr Mawr is an excellent choice also, as is Talybont.

A little place I found today that's in the South, 10 mins from mine is Hensol Woods. I know the image is poor, I arrived late on in the day for a family walk aka a scout of the area :D and it's like this all the way around.
Location scout images by Gareth Williams, on Flickr

Pontsticill Reservoir in Brecon is good also as well as upper and lower Neuadd reservoirs

@rjbell I'm in Rhoose myself but know exactly where you are! You should pop along to Barry Camera Club, it's down the road from you ;)

One place not mentioned yet AND they have great ice-cream is the Mumbles Swansea. Verdi's ice cream :cool:

A little place I found today that's in the South, 10 mins from mine is Hensol Woods. I know the image is poor, I arrived late on in the day for a family walk aka a scout of the area :D and it's like this all the way around.

Pontsticill Reservoir in Brecon is good also as well as upper and lower Neuadd reservoirs
Yeah I used to go about 5 yrs ago, it's my new year's resolution to start again :)

I have to agree Verdi's is very nice too. The is beginning to be the ice cream tour of Wales! :)

Last edited:
I recently had a great trip around north Wales. My suggestions:

• Stay at the Premier Inn at Caernarfon. Easy walk to the castle and town centre and not too pricey.
  • Pop over the Menai Strait and visit the Newborough Warren wildlife reserve, which has a gorgeous beach.
  • Drive through Snowdonia - there's a nice circuit from Caernarfon to Llanberis to Plas Gwynant to Beddgelert and back to Caernarfon. You can pop up Snowdon from Llanberis on the railway if it's open.
  • If you're going to head down to mid/south Wales, on the way stop off at Mach Loop and look for fast jets flying below you. Bwlch is a good spot - park in the little car park and walk up teh hill a bit: http://machloop.co.uk/mach-loop-map/machloopmap.png

Yeah I like that place!

is'nt ths Pysgodlyn Mawr? in the forestry? A Taffs Well boy me.

Last edited:
Back