Whats all the fuss about the Nifty Fifty?

Andy - just out of interest, how do you get on with the 55-250IS? Thats on my shopping list for next month and was wondering how good it is?

To be honest i have not used it much at all but the pix i did get were pretty good. I usually only buy stuff that has had lots of good reviews from people who actually use the equipment. It seems pretty well built and a bargain at £150-£180.

If the weather ever improves then i'll get out there and take some shots and pop them up. I can't remember which pix i took with that lens so can't show you anything. But again for the money you can't go wrong!(y)

To be honest i have not used it much at all but the pix i did get were pretty good. I usually only buy stuff that has had lots of good reviews from people who actually use the equipment. It seems pretty well built and a bargain at £150-£180.

If the weather ever improves then i'll get out there and take some shots and pop them up. I can't remember which pix i took with that lens so can't show you anything. But again for the money you can't go wrong!(y)

Thanks - found one at LCE for £199. Not quite the 300mm i was after but I think i want the IS rather than the non IS. Not sure wether the extra 50mm makes that uch difference - i need to do some test shots. :cautious:

Would be good to see some more challenging pics that the IS has helped with if possible. :)

I have borrowed a Canon 50mm F1.4 and its pretty impressive. As I am new to photography, I am going to stick my neck out and say its not on my list of things I couldn't live without. :naughty:

its not that you must have it, its just that for the price why not?

But there is a significant jump in quality, you get larger aperture, metal body and a usm motor. try finding the 1.2L version, that will scare you!!!

But there is a significant jump in quality, you get larger aperture, metal body and a usm motor. try finding the 1.2L version, that will scare you!!!

To be honest, the whole photography thing is scaring me at the moment!! Totally mind blowing how much i am wanting to spend in the coming months. :love:

And i thought owning an Audi was expensive?? :puke:

To be honest, the whole photography thing is scaring me at the moment!! Totally mind blowing how much i am wanting to spend in the coming months. :love:

And i thought owning an Audi was expensive?? :puke:

best way to see how reasonable most l lenses are costwise is to find the 1200, it is bout 17,000 if i remember correctly.

after that not much will shock you, and to be fair, the cheaper ranges (and likes of sigma and tamron etc) offer very similar lenses for a lot less money

Yep, it's super sharp for the money, fast in lower light but the build quality is one of the few negative points.

Unbelievable IQ considering how much it costs :)

IQ is good as long as you get it new. The whole thing wears very quickly though.

There is one going around the forums that I had a while ago and it is a good introduction to faster glass.

Choccy...

best way to see how reasonable most l lenses are costwise is to find the 1200, it is bout 17,000 if i remember correctly.

after that not much will shock you, and to be fair, the cheaper ranges (and likes of sigma and tamron etc) offer very similar lenses for a lot less money

Don't forget Tokina if you have a crop.

Choccy...

I bought the older version, The one with the metal mount, Crisp as a crisp thing, Cost £89 On ebay.

it's sharp and fast but like other people have said it's got a very particular use on a crop sensor, i've got one and rarely use it.

i also can't stand it being called a "nifty fifty"

This lens' only virtue is price. When you get hold of one, it is obvious why. Very cheap build and slow AF.

If you want a big aperture, there are others (and sharper).

If you want 50mm prime, there are others (and sharper).

If you want a fast walkabout lens, there are more versatile choices. Canon 28mm f/1.8 or Sigma 30mm f/1.4 are much better on crop format.

If you want a fast portrait lens, Canon 85mm f/1.8 is arguably a better length.

I've got a 50mm f/1.8 because, well, you just do don't you. Never used it, so having just written this, I might as well sell it. Got a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 instead. Far more versatile focal length, a bit faster, sharper, much better build and AF. A lot more money, too.

But if you just want to see what a fast prime can do in low light or with shallow depth of field then it's an unbeatable bargain. On a crop body, the combination of 50mm and f/1.8 aperture is good for some kinds of portraiture and a bit of softness at the edges hardly matters. If you don't like it, you've not lost much, and if you do, then chances are you'll upgrade to something similar, but better.

Riichard.

Edit: Oops! Wrong forum for this bit ;)

Nope, I still don't get it... all I can think is that your subjects were so poorly lit and/or low contrast in nature that 1.8's worth of light was not enough to achieve focus lock.... and the extra stop of 1.4 was...

Seriously, I don't get it... can anyone explain? :thinking:

Maybe the focus motor/gears aren't the best in the Nifty. Combined with the shallow DOF at 1.8, the lens could be over/under shooting the focal point due to budget mechanics not the optics

Maybe the focus motor/gears aren't the best in the Nifty. Combined with the shallow DOF at 1.8, the lens could be over/under shooting the focal point due to budget mechanics not the optics

I see no evidence for saying that on my lens. And when you're so close that focusing is this critical, it's far more likely to be out because the photographer moved a bit fowards/backwards after focusing.

Richard.

Depending in your definition of portrait (as you alluded to)!

Absolutely :) And maybe it's just me. A lot of people like an 80mm-ish equiv lens for portraits, which makes 50mm on a 1.6x crop spot on. But I find it really too short for a tight head-and-shoulders, unless you stick the camera right up their nose :eek:

Richard.

it's sharp and fast but like other people have said it's got a very particular use on a crop sensor, i've got one and rarely use it.

i also can't stand it being called a "nifty fifty"

I can understand it being a nickname, but it's a lot easier/quicker to type '50mm'.

Got mine the other day and not even put it on my camera yet :shake:

Think i'll take it to my Nephews b-day bash tomorrow and annoy everyone with it (y)

Back