Whats happened here??

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Dropped my NIKON 18-55mm DX kit lens last week, all fine apart from me breaking a part off the bayonet adaptor that attaches to my Camera body. Ordered a new one from Ebay and it came the other day. I took the damaged one off and installed the new one in (alot of fiddly bits, swearing and holding my breath but managed it). I attached it to my D40 and all was fine, I took a couple of shots, moved the auto-focus about, flicked it in manual and all was well. Took it off and gave it a cleaned and realised this:
lens.jpg

Is it fixable??

You can buy a used one for £69, I would think the repair cost would exceed this.

Looks like the blades have jammed.

Is there a flick switch on the camera side of the bayonet? Can you flick it a bit?

Yes the switch moves but its moved all the blades about now. I can shake the lens and the blades all move about....

Yes the switch moves but its moved all the blades about now. I can shake the lens and the blades all move about....

There's a spring that's supposed to move that switch back. When it goes back the blades close to selected aperture. There's a lever on the camera that engages with it to open them for metering.

Your lens is broken.

Given the cost of it and the price per hour for somebody who knows what they are doing I'd recommend a chat with Santa about a new one.

There is this step by step guide on cleaning the blades on a 55mm Micro, it would be a similar process regarding assembly as the mount is the same, there may be some clues as to what went wrong when you changed the mount.

LINK

I shall see what (MRS) Santa says.... ;)
Also I shall take a look at the guide Martyn, thanks....

Back