Beginner Whats happened here?

Edit My Images
No
I was out for the second time shooting star trails or at least trying to. The first night was a bit windy so that didn't help. Last night I had better conditions to work with but not a lot of time.

I shot 45x exposures at 1min each, ISO 4000 @2.8 on a Samyang 14mm lens.

When I've uploaded them into photoshop to stack them I'm getting a very strange pattern appearing on the final image, the exact same thing is happening when I use StarStaX

Im shooting with a canon 1DX Mark II.

Any Ideas, almost looks like I've taken a camera phone photo of my desktop screen.

Untitled-1 by Derek Mackinnon, on Flickr

This is a result of processing the images before stacking with lens correction, turn off any lens correction before stacking the images then apply the correction afterwards.

Oh wow really that simple. I’ll give that a go and see how it turns out. Thanks so much for the help.

that shot looks amazing. im just starting out right now but cant seem to get my camera setting right and im also trying to do it in one long exposure. any tips would be grateful.

I usually start off by getting the camera set up on the tripod, set my iso really high and take a shot for a couple of seconds until Im happy with my composition.

Then I do a test shot at say ISO 3200 for 30 seconds at f2.8, if I'm happy i set my intervalometer up, set the camera to bulb, lens at f2.8 as its a manual lens. Then I set the intervalometer to shoot 45 shots ( the more shots the better, i just didn't have the time to do much more ) with a 2 second pause between frames at 30 seconds long or however long I need it, if its more than 30 the intervalometer helps. Once Ive gotten all the shots I used a YouTube video to help with the stacking but once you do it once its pretty straight forward.

Here is the video I've used.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fMsYd_6jk0&t=902s

A steady tripod is a must.

Good luck.

Last edited:
"until Im happy with my composure"

Composition?

Although it's a bit odd, I quite like the effect in the first file! Prefer the second but as an oddity, the first deserves saving IMO.

Back